Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the ballingest sigil staff there ever was

Default the ballingest sigil staff there ever was

After some discussion on Discord recently about the benefits of a T5 sigil staff I thought it would be fun to conduct a little thought experiment. How far can we whale up a sigil staff? Let's see:

T5 sigil staff, 6 spell capacity, 10x acuity, rotflares, 10x enchant, T5 ensorcell

So how do we get there, and how much does it cost? Let's start at just the Sigil Shop (assuming you're one of the lucky few with a fast enough script to buy a T5 cert in the first few seconds of Duskruin):

a sigil-carved orase walking stick: starts out at T1 and 4x enchant, 1k BS
    a pale sigil certificate: T2, 10k BS
    a bright sigil certificate: T3, 50k BS
    a vibrant sigil certificate: T4, 100k BS
    a glowing sigil certificate: T5, 250k BS
    a sigil-covered ticket x 5: spell capacity of 6, 5x5=25k BS

Running total: 436k BS

Now let's go to the HESS. As we've learned from Estild, sigil staves do not take up the flare slot, not even T5 staves, so let's add a flare! But not just any flare, only 10x Acuity will do it for us:

a puce flat acuity ticket: 6x acuity, 30k BS
    a brown open acuity ticket x 4: 10x acuity, 4x40=160k BS

Running total: 626k BS

Of course we have to add rotflares (which do not take up the flare slot as we all know by now):

a yellowed rotflare contract: rotflares, 400k BS

Running total: 1026k BS

We still need to enchant and ensorcell it up. Enchant is a little tricky. I'll assume a player wizard will take it to 7x but not beyond (either because it's impossible or too hard). For 8x, 9x, and 10x I'll assume the use of enchant certs from the HESS (or pee pee points for an equivalent cost):

uber wizard fees for 4x to 7x enchant: 50m, or 40k BS
    a shiny enchant document x 3: 10x enchant, 3x100=300k BS

Running total: 1366k BS

As for ensorcelling, I'll assume a player sorcerer can bring it to 3x, but 4x and 5x might be too hard. Let's assume the use of the new ensorcell-assist pots at Spellbound:

uber sorc fees for T0 to T5 ensorcell: 30m, or 24k BS
    dark swirling draught x 2: 60x2=120k BS

Final total: 1,510,000 BS, or $7,550

Actually that's not horrible compared to what non-pures have been known to spend on ebows, splitters, lances, and so on.
    Last edited by Merzbow; 02-21-2019 at 06:21 PM.

What about bane?

Quote Originally Posted by kita View Post
    What about bane?
    I don't know much about Bane, but I now realize it occupies its own slot and so should eligible for this weapon. However it looks like the last time any type of bane was offered OTC was a year ago in HESS, undead bane for 450k, and supposedly it's permanently retired. Is there any other way to acquire bane on a weapon (aside from rare auction/raffle wins I guess?)
    Last edited by Merzbow; 02-20-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Undead bane was offered this run and sold out last weekend.

Other banes have been offered at EG, free fests like Festival of the Fallen and probably others.

Quote Originally Posted by Roblar View Post

Other banes have been offered at EG, free fests like Festival of the Fallen and probably others.
    Does bane actually work with a runestaff though, given that nobody actually swings a runestaff at a mob?

I guess the question then becomes at what point is it worth it? I'm sure that differs for everyone and their means and what enjoyment they put in the game, but I would wager to say that about 99% would not agree that the CBA is worth it.

Point is, the prices set at DR have been set at a minimum level to outweigh the secondary market. Even after that they are using sliding scales claiming it is "oversaturation" when we all know that is bollux.

It used to be that you get lucky at festivals, win some services worth something, add them to awesome gear. Without having to spend real money on grinds, or scams, or whatever you want to call DR at this point. Then you could use them, sell them for a profit, the game was enjoyable cause you felt like you were making progress. Nowadays, making progress makes Simu money and they will have it no other way.

Why? Because racecar.

I think the only problem with that line of thought is that you'd build them use them and then sell them for a profit. You shouldn't ever really expect a profit.. If you were able to build it on dumb luck or spending simucoins to make it happen.. Regardless of event type, the market for having something uber that's going to sell for the price of a used civic isn't nearly as strong. I think the first corasine fields maybe could have been the first pull?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roblar View Post

Question and I'm being honest with this question.

As a mentor, do you tell those that you're mentoring that their subscription is funding a sandbox that only 1% of the player base is allowed to play in and that those 1% are throwing the sand in everyone else's face?

Honestly, the current GM staff should be ashamed of themselves.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

No, of course.

First, new players aren't supporting much financially, if they are even paying (F2P or promotion). And I'm unclear what you mean by sandbox other than I assume high end items, but people play for various reasons and they are likely initially drawn to the community and story possibilities.

With these events, item creep has made that sandbox much larger and strong mechanical things are being made all the time. I think item upgrading is more a thing that comes later for most, as they become familiar with things and search for additional goals and things to "do'. Or perhaps a little Keeping up with the Jones syndrome.

Pretty harsh with the comment about staff and shame too. Don't you like roleplay and free stuff? Stuff like Carnival of Freaks and various town and free world storylines also happen and things like the sigil staff above are all optional. That stick's abilities after unlocking shouldn't be readily available without work and dedication anyway. It gives the same goal setting and achievement as level gains do at a more basic game level.

Blog Entries

As someone who plays in the hardcore contest I can still get plenty of good things off the table from the pawnshop. I actually find my play time much more enjoyable than my non HC characters. While I understand the beef with DR and other pay events I think it’s a hang up for most people and there is plenty you can get out of the game and be successful.
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric