Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TheVerge Lootbox Article

Default TheVerge Lootbox Article

Interesting read, basically follows up on the ongoing FTC investigation of lootbox mechanics (like Duskuin).

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/19/1...g-free-to-play

Remind anyone of some players?

A month ago, a woman known online as CadenceLikesVGs realized she had a gambling problem. She wasn’t playing blackjack or pulling slot machine levers; she was opening video game loot boxes.

“I can’t do this anymore. It is a problem,” Cadence, who wished to remain anonymous, wrote in a Reddit post last month. “But I can’t spend money on PoE, because I know that it’s a slippery slope that won’t stop until I spent everything.”

“Because my brain is fucked up.”

“When your brain works like mine, you can’t stop,” Cadence said. “There is always the little voice of the back of your head that goes ‘Yeah no man, you should’ve quit like 30 boxes ago,’ but even when you’re telling yourself to stop, you’re still clicking buy, and you’re still opening boxes.”

Why? Because racecar.

I'm kinda eh... about it.. maybe here mostly because it is still a super optional thing.

I do think it's cool that the company respected her wishes to ban herself from continuing to participate though... and I guess recognizing it was a problem for her.

Blog Entries

It's optional in PoE, too.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Duskruin isn't lootbox though. You get a set currency that you can purchase things with, most of the items are pretty set and can be expected to be there.

Basically every other cash event was (DM, DR dig) though but it seems like they are moving away from those.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

5. Default

Optional, yes, but with each success many companies get more bold and brazen. I was reminded in another thread earlier today about my experience with MLB 18 from EA. This is a $60 game. The single player version promotes both loot boxes and direct purchases of stat points. These are ostensibly optional.

However, again, in the single player, offline version of this game they have tweaked the progression so slow that you have to either invest way beyond a reasonable amount of game time to achieve a reasonable level of progression, or invest in lootboxes. On a AAA priced single player experience. That's a free to play model and a paid model all rolled into one.

It's getting out of control.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 02-20-2019 at 04:20 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pereus View Post
    Remind anyone of some players?
    I don't what you are talking about, not even a little bit.

dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig
    dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig

(heh, good thing shovels don't cost real money...)
    Last edited by Candor; 02-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    Duskruin isn't lootbox though. You get a set currency that you can purchase things with, most of the items are pretty set and can be expected to be there.

Basically every other cash event was (DM, DR dig) though but it seems like they are moving away from those.
    I see DR as a slot machine. You buy a ticket, spin the wheel, and get some scrip and/or an item (which may or may not be decent). It's gambling.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

8. Default

Digging's only a buck! You can get a 20 minute phone call for a buck! Somebody should write a script to convert digging sessions into 20 minute phone calls and tell you how many minutes of phone calls you could've had instead.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Digging's only a buck! You can get a 20 minute phone call for a buck! Somebody should write a script to convert digging sessions into 20 minute phone calls and tell you how many minutes of phone calls you could've had instead.
    Digging costs game silvers (unless things have changed recently...). Am I out-of-date again?
    Last edited by Candor; 02-20-2019 at 04:37 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    Digging costs game silvers.
    Whoever. I was thinking about sewer digging.

Anyway, the point is we're like the frog in the boiling pot (and yes, I know that's been debunked). Remember back in 2006 when they added $5 horse armor to Oblivion and everybody flipped their shit because they paid $60 for their single player experience and now you want to charge $5 for cosmetic horse armor on top? That's the standard now. It happened so slowly that nobody really took notice. Something's gotta give.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 02-20-2019 at 04:40 PM.