Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemstone is becoming Pay2Win?

I appreciated her compiling of announcements and updates as a sort of change log so figure this would be the best time to share her work.

Yes, there are some pay event updates as Duskruin was running and Wyrom responded to player concerns (including of his in there regarding cut throat/silencing of Heist bosses) but far from little dev. Playershops alone is huge.

I wouldn't even count Quest Nexus as pay - while it is primarily gotten via the simustore, so many free entry orbs have been given out for free as part of giftboxes over the last year (one per character twice I think), that a run can be enjoyed free or purchased for silvers from others.

And while we are debating how so much dev is focused on pay events (or not), here is more actual data.

https://gswiki.play.net/Category:Creating_Adventure

https://gswiki.play.net/Hot_Summer_Nights_2015

Still waiting on last year's review but this gives some more dev for the last few years for any interested or catching up.

Funny you should mention Hot Summer Nights. I was actually thinking of bringing it up to point out how much better off we were dev wise, before. HSN was BEFORE the regular paid events. I was here for HSN, and it was great. But we won't have more HSNs if they keep devoting so much time to developing paid events.

The fact is, as you know from my Discord discussion, I don't claim that no dev is happening. I'm claiming that significantly less dev is happening. And certainly less significant dev.

The only significant dev on that list, if you ask me, is the shop changes. Well, the 403/404 change is nice, but was a super duper simple change for them to make (and was a byproduct of asking for lockpicking changes on officials. It's exactly why I still punish myself by posting there, because sometimes little things manage to get done as a result.).

Also, a lot of those dev changes were to pay events. I don't deny that a lot of dev goes into the pay events - that's exactly the problem though.

Ok, then I will remove pay event dev to simplify, as well as consolidate Playershop updates, remove bug fix/nerfes like splitter, and promised automated wedding info.

-update to include more gifted creatures (minibosses and swarms)

-player shop lottery live

-experience penalties removed for Lock Pick Enhancement (403) and Disarm Enhancement (404)

-update to Sleep (501) messaging to not incorrectly show winged vipers being knocked to the ground

-Abandoned Inn crystal now recognizes sighting

-update to Quest Nexus to show who's currently in the quest before entering

-access to Gratkor's Cart in the Landing re-opened

-feather charm duration now shows in SPELL ACTIVE

-Rift double decay timer removed

-update to Divine Fury (317) lore benefit

-new treasure item released: small totem head
    Seems like a decent amount, for ~ 8 weeks. Also HSN was alot, for players, staff, and wiki contributors. It meant things that go out anyway were held or rushed to fit the schedule. Stuff like it happens over the course of a year routinely.

I don't see it happening again for awhile after some of the feedback (mostly from ELR). But yes, it was nice.

Did you click on the Creating Adventures? Many of that was post 2015 HSN and simultaneous with any running pay events.
    Last edited by Roblar; 03-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.

I'm not denying that there isn't some non-paid events development going on. But are we really counting updates to policy as development? :/

Blog Entries

There were also a couple free festivals and such during that time frame as well, wasn't there?
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Good catch, removed.

I think it is a matter of perception. Many do not keep up to date or disregard or forget any news not pertaining to their characters.

I remember (what it felt like to me, but I possibly did not follow the game closely then) long periods of little development 10 years ago or so maybe. But then warrior guild and skills got a lot of loving (Coase). I think his perception is colored by lack of rogue updates, which has been mentioned is in the works. Dev has actively responded in Discord and the officials anyway that it is.

Yea I only included mechanical system updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Roblar View Post
    Good catch, removed.

I think it is a matter of perception. Many do not keep up to date or disregard or forget any news not pertaining to their characters.

I remember (what it felt like to me, but I possibly did not follow the game closely then) long periods of little development 10 years ago or so maybe. But then warrior guild and skills got a lot of loving (Coase). I think his perception is colored by lack of rogue updates, which has been mentioned is in the works. Dev has actively responded in Discord and the officials anyway that it is.
    Well, I'd say square development as a whole has been hugely lacking. Honestly, empaths and clerics seem to be the only classes getting any semi-substantial development

Even warriors have tons of issues that could use attention, and they haven't been touched in years.

And what about item loss mechanics? Even the whales have good reason to want that one finished!

Let me ask you this though...could you possibly see the current Simu doing something as massive as say...introducing EN, or creating a new engine and GS4? Etc., etc..

How long did it take them to introduce the player shop fix? And that was pretty much the work of one GM. And honestly that's the case with just about any change anymore - One odd GM does some dev, and it takes forever to get implemented.

How long ago were those warrior guild updates? Seems like ages ago now...

I could excuse the reduced dev, if Simu could make the claim that reduced playerbase has brought reduced revenue. But the reality is they are rolling in revenue. Why isn't that revenue being spent on coders?

Even Wyrom said that the lag issues in game have to do with the FE - Makes sense, we're using a FE that is how old? Why not spend some of that whale milk on, I don't know, not having a 20 year old FE?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Taernath again.

That made me laugh.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.