Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That clusterfuck known as Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    Everyone who has a yearbook is now racist too.
    Shit! I might have to burn my high school yearbook lest Democrats get wind that I own one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    You seem to have missed that the top GOP Senator has is own yearbook scandal. While as VMI he was the editor on the yearbook, and its apparently filled with racists tripe.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YVmBEXJPQNHmml
    I saw that, but he wasn't the editor of that portion of the yearbook and there really isn't a lot of news on that. And as I said, I don't think either of the guys that wore blackface should step down, so this is way even less than that. The sexual assault thing here is basically center stage now.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    The sexual assault thing here is basically center stage now.
    You're just saying that because he's black. At least that's what the latest counter outrage argument is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    You're just saying that because he's black. At least that's what the latest counter outrage argument is.
    What counter outrage?

What counter outrage?
    Some people are already suggesting racism must be at play because the VA senate is talking about removing the Lt Gov from office while not doing the same for the AG and gov.

Blog Entries

Some people are already suggesting racism must be at play because the VA senate is talking about removing the Lt Gov from office while not doing the same for the AG and gov.
    I'm sure there are a few random people, but I haven't seen any large groups saying it is because he is black. There is always one or two idiots that say outrageous shit and get coverage like the speak for tons of people though.

And of course made up shit to make things seem more ridiculous.

Thing is, they can't legally remove the Governor or the AG. Wearing blackface isn't a High Crime or Misdemeanor.
    Last edited by Gelston; 02-09-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I'm sure there are a few random people, but I haven't seen any large groups saying it is because he is black.
    The NYT reported on it, which granted doesn't really mean much these days but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/u...imes&smtyp=cur

RICHMOND, Va. — Justin E. Fairfax’s refusal to resign as lieutenant governor of Virginia in the face of two allegations of sexual assault has presented Democrats with an excruciating choice: whether to impeach an African-American leader at a moment when the state’s other two top leaders, both white, are resisting calls to quit after admitting to racist conduct.

The political turmoil for Democratic leaders this weekend is unfolding at the intersection of race and gender, and risks pitting the party’s most pivotal constituencies against one another. If Democrats do not oust Mr. Fairfax, at a time when the party has taken a zero-tolerance stand on sexual misconduct in the #MeToo era, they could anger female voters. But the specter of Mr. Fairfax, 39, being pushed out while two older white men remain in office — despite blackface behavior that evoked some of the country’s most painful racist images — would deeply trouble many African-Americans.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 02-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Blog Entries

The NYT reported on it, which granted doesn't really mean much these days but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    Bleh, even worse, some random Newspaper article writers trying to stir shit up.

Blog Entries

Either way, they can't do anything about the Gov and AG as far as impeachment. They can do something about the LtGov. And lets say the black face things didn't happen or come out, but the LtGov thing was, treat it like that. It is a separate thing, and IMO, a far more serious issue. I think all the charges definitely need to be looked into, but the Impeachment proceedings, and the later Conviction Proceedings are there to do that. Their process works the exact same as the Federal Government, although instead of being called the House of Representatives they have a House of Delegates.

We'll see what happens. I also remember hearing legal experts saying you can only be impeached for things that happened during your term, which neither of these two accusations did, so they might not actually be able to do anything about him either.

I also remember hearing legal experts saying you can only be impeached for things that happened during your term
    That sounds like bullshit. Were they saying this in regards to Fairfax? Did they happen to be Democrats themselves?