Thread: Enchancive boost question

Default Enchancive boost question

I am trying to have 12 ranks of training in Arcane Symbols. I have trained five time in that so I have this;

Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5

I put on an enchancive that offers;
    a delicate amethyst stickpin

The magical strength of this item is strong. It could probably handle the imbedding of an entirely new spell, if handled with care.
    The stickpin resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
    It provides a boost of 4 to Arcane Symbols Bonus.
    This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 14 times.
    It provides a boost of 2 to Wisdom Bonus.
    This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 18 times.
    It provides a boost of 2 to Influence Bonus.
    This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 7 times.
    It provides a boost of 5 to Swimming Bonus.
    This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 5 times.
    The stickpin looks to have a lot of charges remaining.
    You sense that the amethyst stickpin will crumble into dust after its last enhancive charge has been expended.
    You sense that the amethyst stickpin will disintegrate after its last magical charge has been expended

Now my skill in arcane symbols is Arcane Symbols.....................| 29 5
    So it added the boost in the bonus but not the rank

I put on another enchancive
    blue diamond inset pewter stickpin has +7 logic in it (several charges in it) 12600bp. recharge per
    charge, Less than 1 pound; value: 400,000 silvers; ENHANCIVE: +2 to Discipline (3 trains); ENHANCIVE: +7
    to Logic (19 trains); ENHANCIVE: +4 to Arcane Symbols BONUS (14 trains); several charges; on enhancive it
    persists. (Charged through 5/24/2019)

And my skill is now Arcane Symbols.....................| 33 6

Again it add the +4 to the bonus and now I have one extra rank in arcane symbols.

Math isn't my better skill but 4+4+4= 12. Why don't I have twelve ranks of arcane symbols with my training and these two enchancives? I am 42 trainings so I have trained enough for them to work.

skills enhancives are bonus or ranks

bonus and ranks increase in kind as if you were training the skill normally

ranks 1-10 of a skill give 50 bonus (5 per)
    ranks 11-20 of a skill give 40 bonus (4 per)
    ranks 21-30 of a skill give 30 bonus (3 per)
    ranks 31-40 of a skill give 20 bonus (2 per)
    ranks 41+ of a skill give 1 bonus per rank

5 ranks is 25 skill
    25 bonus + 4 bonus + 4 bonus = 33 total bonus

since the total is 50 or less it takes 5 bonus per rank. 33 / 5 = 6 (remainder 3)

12 ranks would be 58 total bonus. with +8 in skill BONUS from enhancives you would need 50 bonus from training (10 ranks) to get your target of 12
    Last edited by Donquix; 02-07-2019 at 01:22 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    skills enhancives are bonus or ranks

bonus and ranks increase in kind as if you were training the skill normally

ranks 1-10 of a skill give 50 bonus (5 per)
    ranks 11-20 of a skill give 40 bonus (4 per)
    ranks 21-30 of a skill give 30 bonus (3 per)
    ranks 31-40 of a skill give 20 bonus (2 per)
    ranks 41+ of a skill give 1 bonus per rank

5 ranks is 25 skill
    25 bonus + 4 bonus + 4 bonus = 33 total bonus

since the total is 50 or less it takes 5 bonus per rank. 33 / 5 = 6 (remainder 3)

12 ranks would be 58 total bonus. with +8 in skill BONUS from enhancives you would need 50 bonus from training (10 ranks) to get your target of 12
    So how many ranks do you need in something for bonus to be better than rank enhancive again?
    standing between the living and the dead

Oh dang, I thought the bonus and rank went together.

Thank you for explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawk View Post
    Oh dang, I thought the bonus and rank went together.

Thank you for explaining it.
    They do, at 41+ ranks. Typically if you're enhancing a skill, you're enhancing one you train in a lot so they are almost always functionally the same in practice. This is why people tend to not like ranks enhancives as they are WAY WAY more expensive to charge for the exact same benefit after the first 40 ranks. It's pretty niche to be enhancing something you don't train a lot in normally.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Was so disappointed when I found I couldn't get CMAN points via CMAN rank enhancives.

Quote Originally Posted by Versin View Post
    Was so disappointed when I found I couldn't get CMAN points via CMAN rank enhancives.
    I imagine Shield Use ranks work similar.

Similarly also: does anyone know if enhancives unlock postname skill titles? I'm guessing not, but it'd be interesting to try...
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

I was hoping to be able to get into the Broken Lands which needs a skill I didn't plan on needing.

For what it's worth, MOC multistrike thresholds can be hit with enhancives. Sometimes I wonder if there is a hidden 7th swing at like 250 MOC

Also, guild badge + charging potion is far and away my best enhancive.
    Last edited by Ososis; 02-08-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."