Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Democrat primary debates

Default 2020 Democrat primary debates

I was just thinking about this so I had to make a thread about it.

What do you all think the primary debates are gonna be about? So far it's mostly women who have announced they are running so any men running will be at a disadvantage since he won't be able to attack the female candidates because then he's sexist. The female candidates probably won't attack other female candidates either because Democrats are pushing this idea that they are all on the same side and shit.

And Democrats by and large have all adopted almost the exact same policies under the age of Trump. Maybe once one of them gets the nomination they will change the message up a bit to appeal to a broader range of voters, but I'm talking the primaries here.

Are they all going to just say the exact same thing, refrain from attacking one another, and it will all come down to who can express their disgust and hatred with Trump the most?

I think gun control will be a topic, especially if there are any large shootings around the time of the debates, even though as a Democratic voter I think they need to drop that one because it's an absolute boat anchor around their necks and costs them far more votes than it will ever gain them. That ship has sailed.

They'll discuss immigration. That will still be a hot topic.

Foreign policy around Syria/Assad/Iran/Russia.

I want Bernie Sanders to moon all of them on TV.

3. Default

You hit the nail on the head. They'll focus in on Trump and safer broad audience talking points. They won't start trying to cannibalize each other unless it gets close and they get desperate, but that's pretty much par for the course. There's a general understanding that you don't want to tear your own party's candidates down completely like you would in a general election against the opposition because it hurts the eventual nominee. They'll mostly focus on hating Trump.

That door where an "outsider" candidate can take shots at all the other primary candidates closed when Trump did it last election. Anybody does it now and immediately they'll be compared to him, and in a Democratic primary, that's pretty much conceding defeat right now.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 01-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.

It's sad that since 2016 they Democrats haven't developed a platform that goes beyond 'See how much I hate Trump? I hate Trump way more than that other person. Vote for me I'm not Trump! I have to be better, right?"

Blog Entries

Tulsi Gabbard #1!
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    It's sad that since 2016 they Democrats haven't developed a platform that goes beyond 'See how much I hate Trump? I hate Trump way more than that other person. Vote for me I'm not Trump! I have to be better, right?"
    I'm sure whoever the nominee is eventually will have something to say. I just don't think it'll happen in the primaries til the very end when campaigns start getting desperate.

Edit to add: It is unfortunate. The first campaign I got really interested in demonstrated pretty much the opposite of that. In the primaries, John McCain was an absolute awesome orator speaking off the cuff. He talked like a human being expressing his opinions on how to best govern the country, and those views were spectacular. But as he got further and further into the election and victory looked less and less assured, he just started repeating the same canned speeches over and over again trying to hit as many demographics as possible without upsetting anyone. I firmly believe that all the gimmicks (Joe the Plumber, Sarah Palin, the watered down speeches) cost him the election.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 01-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Tulsi Gabbard #1!
    Tulsi is going to lose anyone who wants less war and less US intervention abroad. She's more into exploding Muslims than HRC ever dreamed about. Tulsi is also a homophobe. I don't see her pulling the nom, although she'll do better than some of the other clowns who've announced.

Blog Entries

Tulsi is going to lose anyone who wants less war and less US intervention abroad. She's more into exploding Muslims than HRC ever dreamed about. Tulsi is also a homophobe. I don't see her pulling the nom, although she'll do better than some of the other clowns who've announced.
    No, she will win and then lose to Trump and then divorce her husband and come stay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I'm sure whoever the nominee is eventually will have something to say. I just don't think it'll happen in the primaries til the very end when campaigns start getting desperate.

Edit to add: It is unfortunate. The first campaign I got really interested in demonstrated pretty much the opposite of that. In the primaries, John McCain was an absolute awesome orator speaking off the cuff. He talked like a human being expressing his opinions on how to best govern the country, and those views were spectacular. But as he got further and further into the election and victory looked less and less assured, he just started repeating the same canned speeches over and over again trying to hit as many demographics as possible without upsetting anyone. I firmly believe that all the gimmicks (Joe the Plumber, Sarah Palin, the watered down speeches) cost him the election.
    McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate is one of the larger self-owns in all of US political history. It doesn't help that he ran vs 08 Obama who, like him or not, was undeniably a campaigning machine. But yeah... Palin, lol.

Blog Entries

McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate is one of the larger self-owns in all of US political history. It doesn't help that he ran vs 08 Obama who, like him or not, was undeniably a campaigning machine. But yeah... Palin, lol.
    Palin looked like a good choice at first. And then she spoke.