Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union 2019

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    That is what I saw too, there is a lot of confusion about whether or not she did in fact rescind the invitation, some are saying yes some are saying no. I feel certain she wants to, but recognizes that politically it is probably not very astute for any number of reasons.
    It wouldn't accomplish anything if she did. Like someone else said, she sent the invitation DURING the shut down. IF she wanted to rescind it, she better have a different reason other than the shut down.... And then Trump can just change venues to the Senate Floor. Trump could play on that heavily, as that is where the early Presidents used to deliver the address.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    It wouldn't accomplish anything if she did. Like someone else said, she sent the invitation DURING the shut down. IF she wanted to rescind it, she better have a different reason other than the shut down.... And then Trump can just change venues to the Senate Floor. Trump could play on that heavily, as that is where the early Presidents used to deliver the address.
    The right is already saying that, my big boss has said she is ready to support the SOTU address, so Pelosi does not have much to stand on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    The right is already saying that, my big boss has said she is ready to support the SOTU address, so Pelosi does not have much to stand on.
    Yeah, it is happening regardless of Pelosi. It might be in a different place, but it is still happening. It'll be televised just as much as before. The background might be different, that is all. I honestly just think it'll serve to show Pelosi as more impotent than before. People will think "she can't stop Trump!"

Four problems with the things Certain People have suggested..

First, the President is required by the Constitution to report to Congress on the state of the union. For the first 100 years of the country, it was done in writing. Holding a speech somewhere else would not satisfy that requirement. Trump could give a speech somewhere else and call it the "State of the Union," but he would still need to deliver a written or oral report to Congress.

Second, a speech in another forum would generate a smaller television audience that an address to a joint session of Congress. All of the networks carry the SoTU live. Cable news channels might carry a Trump unofficial SoTU rally live, but the networks would not.

Third, the Senate chamber is not large enough to accommodate an audience of the size that usually attends. If Trump wants the smallest audience in the last 100 years, then he can have it in the Senate chamber.

Fourth, the President -- or anybody else -- can be invited to a joint session of Congress only if both houses pass a resolution inviting him. So far, neither house has passed a resolution inviting him.

Trump could find an alternative location and invite all the usual people. That might be his best bet if he does not want to postpone the address until the government reopens. It will be a big, if not impossible, security challenge to find and secure an alternative location by January 29.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Four problems with the things Certain People have suggested..

First, the President is required by the Constitution to report to Congress on the state of the union. For the first 100 years of the country, it was done in writing. Holding a speech somewhere else would not satisfy that requirement. Trump could give a speech somewhere else and call it the "State of the Union," but he would still need to deliver a written or oral report to Congress.

Second, a speech in another forum would generate a smaller television audience that an address to a joint session of Congress. All of the networks carry the SoTU live. Cable news channels might carry a Trump unofficial SoTU rally live, but the networks would not.

Third, the Senate chamber is not large enough to accommodate an audience of the size that usually attends. If Trump wants the smallest audience in the last 100 years, then he can have it in the Senate chamber.

Fourth, the President -- or anybody else -- can be invited to a joint session of Congress only if both houses pass a resolution inviting him. So far, neither house has passed a resolution inviting him.

Trump could find an alternative location and invite all the usual people. That might be his best bet if he does not want to postpone the address until the government reopens. It will be a big, if not impossible, security challenge to find and secure an alternative location by January 29.
    Nothing you said is a problem with anything I've said. Delivering it on the Senate Floor while televised and also submitting a letter far more than satisfies the Constitutional requirement. Stop being ClydeRetard. Not everyone can fit... Well, I guess a bunch of Democrats House members won't be allowed in.

Pelosi cites security concerns...yet doesn't want security for the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    Pelosi cites security concerns...yet doesn't want security for the border.
    I believe you mean. Pelosi wants to fund border security, but doesn't want to fund an ineffective wall that can be breached with common household tools.

8. Default

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I believe you mean. Pelosi wants to fund border security, but doesn't want to fund an ineffective wall that can be breached with common household tools.
    Again, the money is for more than the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post