Thread: Runestones and learning how to make them

Blog Entries

Default Runestones and learning how to make them

I’m curious, where do I go to learn how to make runestones for making scrolls. Is it a guild skill or alchemy skill or do I have to learn it from a fellow sorcerer? Are there level requirements or could I get with a knowledgeable sorcerer at any time and learn them?

My sorcerer is going to be all about scrolls and infusion and any head starts I can get I’m all about it!
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Blog Entries

thank you! Had looked at the first two and didn't see the single line on the second 1 somehow that at 714 you learn all the runestones through the spell! Thank you! The third was a nice addition to know what my capabilities may be
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    thank you! Had looked at the first two and didn't see the single line on the second 1 somehow that at 714 you learn all the runestones through the spell! Thank you! The third was a nice addition to know what my capabilities may be
    You're welcome. It can be a bit of an organizational nightmare shuffling multiple scrolls and different runestones around, but if you are willing to deal with the hassle it is a powerful spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaia View Post
    You're welcome. It can be a bit of an organizational nightmare shuffling multiple scrolls and different runestones around, but if you are willing to deal with the hassle it is a powerful spell.

This is how I organize it.

Get two fairly large wearable containers. The containers should be wearable in spots not already occupied by your other containers and in spots that do not conflict with each other, so that you can wear both containers at the same time. You'll mostly keep both containers in your locker and only get them out for a few minutes when you're infusing. There is no reason to spend a lot of money on them.

Use one of the containers to store all of your scroll infusion supplies. In my scroll sack, I have a brush, ink, cup (for rinsing), quiss'fyn runestone (6 charges), odeir'cos runestone (50 charges) and ag'loenar runestone (50 charges). I stopped messing with the other 'fyn runes. Brushes, ink and cups are sold at alchemist shops. Brushes last forever. Ink and cups have a limited number of uses. Your biggest expense will be quiss'fyn runestones. I usually use stones, instead of runestones, because they are cheaper. If you decide to train in alchemy in the guild, you might as well make as many aishvrak potions as you can get credit for. You will need them, and they are expensive to buy at the alchemist shop.

Use the other container to store the scrolls you are saving to infuse but have not yet unlocked. You'll have a lot of these, too many if you fail to restrict yourself to buying scrolls you will actually use. Seriously. If you're not careful, you'll wind up with more scrolls than you can fit in your locker and you won't want to throw any of them away because you might use them some day. I've been there. In fact, I'm still there. Only buy scrolls that you are certain you will use! Should I say it again, or did you get it? Start looking in the pawnshop backroom regularly to find scrolls you want. Most scrolls in the pawnshop backroom are fresh, but every now and then you'll find one that has already been invoked. As you probably know, if a scroll cannot be phased, then it is not fresh. Unfortunately, you have to buy it to test it.

Set up some macro keys to do the infusing. Below are my keys:
    F2: rummage in my sack runestone quis\rlook my stone\r
    F3: look my stone\rwave my stone at my @
    F4: put my stone in my ink sack\r\rput my runestone in my ink sack\r
    F5: rummage in my sack runestone ag\rlook my stone\r
    F6: infuse my @
    F9: rummage in my sack runestone od\rlook my stone\r

The "\r" and "@" symbols work in the Wizard FE. I'm not sure about the syntax for Stormfront. Looking at the stone, as the macros do, is a good idea. Using the wrong runestone can mess up a good scroll.

When you Infuse a scroll, try to notice how much mana you have immediately before and after Infusing. By noting the difference, you can usually figure out what spell you infused and how many charges. By doing that simple math, you can save time and make your odeir'cos runestones last longer.

Finally, everybody gets confused about the syntax for drawing runes. After dipping (which you can do while the ink is still in your container) your brush in your ink, hold your brush in one hand and your runestone (or treated stone) in the other hand and then just type "draw quis rune." You do not need to specify that it is with the brush or on the runestone.
    FWI room 2
    Warped Wooden Hut
    Lich ID 3870

My recommendation. Make an alt F2P character (or 2). Level this character to about 15, and then transfer skills (instant migration) to max out arcane symbols, so it can read all the scrolls. Therefore, make a pure who can easily train arcane symbols (wizards are great for this).

Then, have the F2P character hold all your scrolls. They're kind of like Patsy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

Now, learn to use the RUMMAGE command. You can even make a script to do this for you, where you whisper it a spell name, and it rummages in the scroll container for the spell name, and hands it to you.

Here's a really poorly coded example script:

Code:
    start:
    inquiry = waitfor 'whispers, "Spell'
    name = inquiry.strip.split(/\s+/);
    spell = name[3].split('.');

fput "stow all"
    fput "rumm in my #{GameObj[UserVars.scrollsack]} spell #{spell[0]}"
    sleep 0.5
    if GameObj.right_hand.id
    	fput "give ##{GameObj.right_hand.id} to #{name[0]}"
    	waitfor 'has accepted'
    	echo 'Accepted!'
            goto 'start'
    else
            echo 'No scroll found'
    	goto 'start'
    end
    Using this script, if you have it running on your F2P scroll mule, you can just whisper "spell 103", and it will rummage in whatever container you've set to your scrollsack (vars set scrollsack=container).

Then you'll want to familiarize yourself with infusing and the infusing process. It's really not all that complicated. I recommend making your own rune crafting script because that part can be a bit annoying (I usually buy pre-made runes from the store to cut down on the tedium). Having access to the backroom of the general store in WL allows you to buy smooth stones to use for runes.

Once you have all your tools in order, you can start infusing whenever you want. Keep in mind, infusing does have some hard skill checks. I'm finding the 1200s to be the most difficult to infuse currently, and then higher level 1700s can be really hard (i.e. 1720 with a capped sorcerer 1x in AS and 3x in spells w/ 162 ranks in sorcerer spells is guaranteed to lock before I finish infusing the spell for full potency).

Many people think you should unlock with the various different level runes. I just unlock all my scrolls with quiss'fyn runes because I'm capped. At early levels, you may have to target spells for unlocking because you won't be able to infuse the harder spells. So use lower spell rank runestones to unlock easier to infuse spells. This means you won't be able to infuse the full amount of mana into a scroll, giving it maximum charges, but you will have a lot easier time getting the spells you want charged up without locking the scroll initially.

Also, if you want to check if a scroll can be infused, 704 the scroll. If it can be phased, it can be infused. If not, then it's locked.