Thread: Introduction with some Questions

1. Smile Introduction with some Questions

Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick note to introduce myself. I'm a totally blind player, who has recently decided to give Gemstone a look after seeing it mentioned off and on. Thus far, I like what I'm seeing, even if I have to use a third-party client to connect.

I'm mostly wondering about this site as compared to the official Simutronics forums? I find this software a lot easier to use, but wasn't sure which place was more frequented.

I'd love to find a way to script one of the official front-ends to work for me, perhaps adding text-to-speech support. Does anybody hereabouts have insight into how to begin doing this kind of thing?
    Thanks for listening

Welcome! You'll find that this board tends to get more activity overall, but it's largely merchanting and off-topic banter. The officials are really where most of the game info lives, and it's where the Game Masters post. (They do not post on these boards)

There's also a discord server you can find here- most of the GMs are on this, and it's VERY active.

I'll leave it up to someone else to talk through the scripting portion of your post- as I'm not much of a scripter. But I would highly recommend downloading and installing , which is unofficial software that most of us use. It has an OOC chat and a lot of quality of life features (particularly those related to maps and in-game travel) that can make a big difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alensin View Post
    I'm mostly wondering about this site as compared to the official Simutronics forums? I find this software a lot easier to use, but wasn't sure which place was more frequented.

I'd love to find a way to script one of the official front-ends to work for me, perhaps adding text-to-speech support. Does anybody hereabouts have insight into how to begin doing this kind of thing?
    Thanks for listening
    These forums are by far the most frequented. They're unofficial though, so if you're looking for a response by a GM you should try the officials or the discord. That being said, these boards have been around for 20+ years in one form or another and there's a lot of archived knowledge here, don't be afraid to ask. There's also the wiki: https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

As far as vision issues, LivderaDeralleur is another poster here that has similar needs and you might want to try PMing her.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

4. Default

THanks.

I'm still poking around, I've managed to get Lich working on Linux and Windows, Mac is proving problematic for some silly reasons. If I can get that working reasonably I might be able to start work on a text-to-speech plugin in some form or other.

I appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to exploring the game.