Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyrom confirmed, GM's are listening and monitoring lnet

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I mean, Wyrom already said he isn't going to do this again, so really, you're just disagreeing with him now. The fact is, you can spoof a name on LNet. Simu doesn't run it, they can't know for sure if the person saying is actually the same person in game. How would you like being banned from GS because someone spoofed your name and just started saying all this racist trash?

It is broader than what you are making it.

Someone said you can't spoof a name that is password protected. Not sure if that's true, but that means 99% of the people on lnet can't be spoofed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alastir View Post
    Someone said you can't spoof a name that is password protected. Not sure if that's true, but that means 99% of the people on lnet can't be spoofed.
    You can for that game instance. I could make a DR account and make an Alastir there and be you. A lot of people are retarded as fuck and would think it is you.

Either way, you SHOULD password protect your LNet names. Most people do not.
    Last edited by Gelston; 12-17-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about lnet being monitored even by reports. After today, I'll make sure it's not something we'll have to address. Unfortunately, this all started because at least a few people had a problem with some of the terms being thrown out. Many players, especially new ones, don't realize Lich isn't supported by Simutronics. Most players are directed to Lich shortly after they connect with others in game.

Could I have done a better job? Sure. I'm not even arguing that fact. It's why I came on the PC to talk in the first place after someone told me a thread came out of the exchange.

We realize Lich is a boon to the game, and there isn't any need to read between the lines here. Lnet can be a bit abrasive at times. I'm not going to repeat what was said here, but either way, things won't continue with me asking anyone to stop calling people names.
    A step in the right direction.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I don't think that anyone has failed to notice that most of you are just here to attack one of the leaders of the game this forum is dedicated to. Do any of you actually play anymore?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I don't think that anyone has failed to notice that most of you are just here to attack one of the leaders of the game this forum is dedicated to. Do any of you actually play anymore?
    I don't think that's the case at all. I think there's a handful of players that use the GM's as their righthink police and it's becoming an issue. Personally I think these GM's need to start handing out warnings for people that put in assists for trivial playground bullshit.

There's nothing worse than the type of people that are in the supervisors office on a daily basis.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Do any of you actually play anymore?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastir View Post
    Most characters probably don't have a password attached to LNet. The only people likely to (before this thread) were people who upload to the repo and the mapdb (because you are required to set up a password for that). It's actually a little confusing, because the first time you try it's asking you for a password when there is none, and then you set one up.

Zaoloo got spoofed even during this thread (I posted a log, it wasn't invented), until he set one up later on last night.

I spoof as Kaldonis when I'm playing an alt sometimes to chat as the character most well-known, or people come along in mechanics discussions with "who are you what would you know" nonsense. Even so, I don't think any of my alts have passwords, which is over half a dozen characters. So in fact, we could easily suppose 99% of characters are not password protected.

I've also seen a GM spoofed under Shattered, and not everyone is quick as a tack to see "GSF" is not "GSIV" and catch the trick.
    Last edited by Kaldonis; 12-18-2018 at 07:26 AM.

That is irrelevant. Most here still play and if they don't, it's because of poor choices, like the one Wyrom made, that alienates them.

Stop being so dumb.

9. Default

Better not criticize the president of the united states while living in america!!!!!!!!

As long as we are discussing LNet tricks (that we really shouldn't), here is one of my favorites

Code:
    ;alias add --global spam=;eq 10.times{LNet.get_data("\?", 'locate')}
    What does this do? Well, you won't see anything, but go try to spam Kaldonis. Whether the target allows or even disallows your locates, they'll get spooled 10 lines of garbage to their game feed.

A good friend of mine knows I don't have any pop-ups or audible sounds for chat programs. So when he wanted to find me, he used to spam me to death with locates. But he's not a coder, so he used to just lean on the keyboard. So I coded that one to spam the life out of him even faster when he tries that.

Eventually, you would get punted from LNet etc, if you are not sparing with these kinds of requests. Indeed, there is a feature built-in to LNet where if you chat too many times in a span of time, you start saying stuff about hello kitty etc (I am verbose enough to have encountered this wall). That's the reference when Zaoloo was spoofed last night, though I am sure it wasn't Tillmen doing it to him. I even heard there was, on a time, a particularly annoying character that asked lots of questions, and Tillmen coded an internet-search bot to one-liner reply to anything chatted by this character with a question mark. He could have man-in-the-middle attacked with replacement, but anyway some of us have a sense of humor or know how to code.

Don't believe everything you read on LNet. Also, you can set up your own chat channels, which can even be private.