Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stupidity from Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    A deliberate appeal using religious characters featuring current political issues being brought up by a politician is not politicizing religion?

I need to understand what you consider Religious Politics and Politicized Religion. So please, explain.
    Are people really taking offense to her wanting immigrants to have a Merry Christmas with love, happiness, and family? Like how Christians are generally taught?

Or is it that she correctly points out that the people in the story about the holiday were immigrants themselves? Because? How is that wrong?

If any of what she said offends anyone, I'd advise to step away from the political trash sites or channels, have a hot cocoa, and try to just enjoy the spirit of the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Are people really taking offense to her wanting immigrants to have a Merry Christmas with love, happiness, and family? Like how Christians are generally taught?
    I can't speak for people but I highly doubt that's where the discrepancy is had.

Or is it that she correctly points out that the people in the story about the holiday were immigrants themselves?
    Mary and Joseph were not immigrants. I feel the term refugee is a stretch but not too far of one.

If any of what she said offends anyone, I'd advise to step away from the political trash sites or channels, have a hot cocoa, and try to just enjoy the spirit of the holiday.
    I'd say if people are offended by a candidate speaking on subjects they hold no knowledge with, is, in fact a legit grievance.

I need to understand what you consider Religious Politics and Politicized Religion. So please, explain.
    You still haven't elaborated.

I can't speak for people but I highly doubt that's where the discrepancy is had.
    From what I gather from your posts you feel she is politicizing the holiday and that is bad to you despite her wishing all people Merry Christmas with happiness, love, and family?

Mary and Joseph were not immigrants. I feel the term refugee is a stretch but not too far of one.
    Correct. I meant refugees. Its accurate to say that they were since they had to leave their home or face persecution.

I'd say if people are offended by a candidate speaking on subjects they hold no knowledge with, is, in fact a legit grievance.
    If people are offended by that tweet by her then I'd say they are very thin skinned, fragile people, who can't see the true spirit of her message through their own political prejudices.

You still haven't elaborated.
    Your question made no sense and I don't owe you or anyone here any explanations about anything.

From what I gather from your posts you feel she is politicizing the holiday and that is bad to you despite her wishing all people Merry Christmas with happiness, love, and family?
    I feel that she's politicizing two very easily identifiable religious figures to further her own career. Her 'wishing all people Merry Christmas with happiness, love, and family' comes off as disingenuous.

Correct. I meant refugees. Its accurate to say that they were since they had to leave their home or face persecution.
    If I had premonitions of bad things happening, then those things started happening, then a literal angel stepped in to tell me to bounce. Am I a refugee or was I forewarned and heeding the advice of my divine guardian? I'll wait.

If people are offended by that tweet by her then I'd say they are very thin skinned, fragile people, who can't see the true spirit of her message through their own political prejudices.
    Religion is always a hot topic. Just look at Islam.

Your question made no sense and I don't owe you or anyone here any explanations about anything.
    So you don't know the difference.

Religious politics would be the religion of a candidate dictating their actions. Sharia Law enforcement would be the extremely low hanging fruit. To go against that is to upset your candidate and likely a violation of the laws they take directly from scripture.

Politicizing religion would be a candidate that takes a religious figurehead or story or text, anything to really do with religion, and uses it to further their own agenda. Like drawing a comparison from a popular religion and the current struggles of a person. Despite the lack of evidence that says they practice this law.

It's okay buddy, I know you weren't going to answer. Nice cop out though.

A deliberate appeal using religious characters featuring current political issues being brought up by a politician is not politicizing religion?

Yeah I really don't understand how Back doesn't see this.

That would be great if her holiday message was just wishing a Merry Christmas to everyone, but why else would she feel the need to specifically refer to immigrants? Could it be because she was politicizing her message?

Or is it that she correctly points out that the people in the story about the holiday were immigrants themselves? Because? How is that wrong?
    They. Were. Not. Immigrants. They were traveling to their homeland so they could be counted for the census so they could pay taxes. If anything this story tells us how important it is to follow laws, you know, something illegal aliens don't do.

Yes people being wrong offends me a lot. What offends me even more is when someone points out facts that proves someone is wrong and rather than say "Shit, my bad!" they instead pretend those facts don't exist and continue on being wrong and telling everyone else they should stop being offended because someone is saying wrong things in the face of facts proving them wrong.

Wrong!

I feel that she's politicizing two very easily identifiable religious figures to further her own career. Her 'wishing all people Merry Christmas with happiness, love, and family' comes off as disingenuous.
    There it is. You can't see her wishing good will to all people through your own political prejudice. Credit for being honest.

If I had premonitions of bad things happening, then those things started happening, then a literal angel stepped in to tell me to bounce. Am I a refugee or was I forewarned and heeding the advice of my divine guardian? I'll wait.
    Silly question. Of course you are. I would say that knowing you are about to get persecuted is the very impetus for seeking refuge elsewhere.

So you don't know the difference.

It's okay buddy, I know you weren't going to answer. Nice cop out though.
    My non-participation in your question game does not mean you can make up my position for me, buddy. Not very respectful, sporting, or honorable. Tsk tsk and tut.

This thread reminds me of another story. About how the citizens of a republic crucified someone who did nothing more than preach love and acceptance of all people.
    Last edited by Back; 12-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.

There it is. You can't see her wishing good will to all people through your own political prejudice. Credit for being honest.
    You're right, I am being honest. I think she's a fucking idiot and I don't like whatever master puppeteer is pulling her strings. However she got the office, she's grossly unqualified for it but we've elected unqualified individuals before. In all areas of government and we'll continue. So long as people such as yourself continue to have a political prejudice and bias.

Silly question. Of course you are. I would say that knowing you are about to get persecuted is the very impetus for seeking refuge elsewhere.
    I'd say you're not a refugee if you removed yourself from harm, knowingly. Seeing the bomb coming and feeling it are two very different experiences.

My non-participation in your question game does not mean you can make up my position for me, buddy. Not very respectful, sporting, or honorable. Tsk tsk and tut.
    It's okay, we knew long ago you lacked the capacity for serious conversation. I was just entertaining the idea that you'd say something that was actually worth debating.

This thread reminds me of another story. About how the citizens of a republic crucified someone who did nothing more than preach love and acceptance of all people.
    Purposely blaspheming is fine but let the record show that you are, in fact, willing to do so while in a debate regarding a person who is being considered blasphemous to others.

That tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    That would be great if her holiday message was just wishing a Merry Christmas to everyone, but why else would she feel the need to specifically refer to immigrants? Could it be because she was politicizing her message?
    You get credit for admitting that you cannot see her message of goodwill through your own political views. She literally said Merry Christmas with happiness, love, and family to all people.

They. Were. Not. Immigrants. They were traveling to their homeland so they could be counted for the census so they could pay taxes. If anything this story tells us how important it is to follow laws, you know, something illegal aliens don't do.
    Refugees technically are immigrants wherever they seek refuge. Clearly your interpretation of the bible is different from other interpretations because most interpretations are that they went to Egypt to avoid Herod murdering Jesus.

Yes people being wrong offends me a lot. What offends me even more is when someone points out facts that proves someone is wrong and rather than say "Shit, my bad!" they instead pretend those facts don't exist and continue on being wrong and telling everyone else they should stop being offended because someone is saying wrong things in the face of facts proving them wrong.

Wrong!
    Which "facts" are you referring to? Your interpretations and prejudices? LOL.

Purposely blaspheming is fine but let the record show that you are, in fact, willing to do so while in a debate regarding a person who is being considered blasphemous to others.

That tolerance.
    ROFL!!!!