Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's act

Default Let's act

[LNet]-You: "how about this: Simu won't try agressive ads, so how about the players TRY to advertise on FB, instragram, snapchat, whatever. If 1 active player bring 1 new player, that will double the player base and that is good for everyone. Sharing a bubble that poped in my mind"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Pendowilt: "we have done that before"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Pendowilt: "and Parkbandit got a big tax break out of it, which no one seemed to care about"
    [LNet]-You: "PB still plays?"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Pendowilt: "basically, the PC raised like 5 or 6k to buy tweets by celebrities. We got Levar Burton originally, but he refused to do it, so we got Felicia day and someone else"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Pendowilt: "it was for the Hatian Earthquake, which will tell you how long ago it was"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Pendowilt: "but it had a few people come, not a ton"

How about another shot? A gofundme?

How about we try and when we're ready, we send a letter with EVERYONE'S signature to stillfront C.C. Wyrom saying: we care that much for the game, how about trying on your side too?

They'd take the money. Then make vague promises without actual dates.

Blog Entries

If the community is paying for advertisements, what do subscription fees go toward?

Simu is not interested in gaining new subs, they are interested in squeezing current subs as much as possible.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

We will do the ads ourselves, not sending the money to Simu or Stillfront. But when we'll be ready to proceed, we'll copy them.

Blog Entries

Don't do for others that they won't do for themselves.

There's no way I would help further enable their business model.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

6. Default

From a marketing standpoint, advertising on twitter for a mud is about as effective as Simutronics' investment into Heroes Journey. It's like throwing your money into a hole. Now, here's the problem. Gemstone is the most widely known mud already. It's the world of warcraft of muds. That is to say, even if you don't play it, you know about it. You've seen someone play it, or you've tried it. Probably both.

The only effective way to advertise to a mud-playerbase is to advertise on the sites they frequent, or the sites they use when looking for a new mud to play. And if your name is already at the top of those lists, on mudconnector, on topmudsites, on reddit's mud stuff, then your ad dollars are worth nothing.

You are not going to sway FPS gamers to try a mud out, and if you do, they're gonna hate it. Your hope is to cannibalize the current mud playerbase as old muds start dying off. And if all those people already know about your product, why advertise?

I don't support a lot of things that Simutronics does, but not advertising is something I do support. The people who matter already know about the product. You want new players? You're gonna have to get dirty to get them. Visit the muds that are dying. I mean, 5-10 average players. Talk to people directly. It's scummy. It's poaching. But it's the most effective way to advertise directly to your potential playerbase.

http://mudstats.com/

Average total mud players across 1800 total tracked muds is around 8000 people. You remove the top ten muds, which are 7 furry mudsex muds, Gemstone, Aardwolf, and Dragonrealms, and you're left with about 6000 people spread across 1790 muds. That's an average of 3.3 players per mud. And they want someone to play with.

You get some of those from the muds about to go under, you get your increased playerbase.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 11-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    From a marketing standpoint, advertising on twitter for a mud is about as effective as Simutronics' investment into Heroes Journey. It's like throwing your money into a hole. Now, here's the problem. Gemstone is the most widely known mud already. It's the world of warcraft of muds. That is to say, even if you don't play it, you know about it. You've seen someone play it, or you've tried it. Probably both.
    That is a grossly broad assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrandii View Post
    We will do the ads ourselves, not sending the money to Simu or Stillfront. But when we'll be ready to proceed, we'll copy them.
    You're retarded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Murrandii View Post
    What I'm saying is, if Simu wanted to expand the customer base, they'd use the money that people already pay them. GS isn't just barely scratching by, it makes a ton of money that gets funneled off toward mobile development and cocaine instead of internal development.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

10. Default

If you do want to advertise, the only place you're going to have any degree of success is going to be mudconnector. It's going to be a very limited degree of success, at that. But if you do, I would be willing to contribute under one circumstance.

Nobody gives extra money. 100% of the entire advertising budget comes from people downgrading their premium subscriptions to regular and tithing the savings to the ad budget. I will not pay money for their advertisements unless I'm sure they're losing an amount equal to those costs. Nor should you.

You set it up like that, and I'll be happy to be your first taker, and I'll draft the form letter to send to Mario and Chris as to why anyone on board is downgrading. I don't even care where the ads go or what form they take. Even just 10 people downgrading is $200-250 per month in ad dollars. That's not a bad amount. You can do a lot with that. And if it shows any amount of success, more people will follow.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 11-11-2018 at 02:45 PM.