Thread: Build for hunting

Default Build for hunting

Looking for good hunting build. What do you all suggest for a training plan. Member of GOS.

What level/race? Are you wanting to swing a weapon or go pure spellcasting?

The warpath thing works, but in the end pure empaths tend to be stronger. Hunting a pure empath at lower levels can be tough, though, since they don't have a level 2 warding spell like clerics/sorcs. Bone shatter is powerful, but it's pretty mana intensive at lower levels. I think I did THW until something like 45 and then fix skilled over to a pure.

3. Default

Another consideration is whether or not you're looking to maximize your skinning profit. It's slow and boring hunting with 1101, but it leaves no wounds so all your skins are great. 1106 is effective but as mentioned, mana intensive. Aside from those, the only real decision you have as a pure is whether or not you want to sink TPs into spell aiming in order to bolt, which is also mana intensive.

I will also mention out of left field that while THW is very cool if you want to go the weapons route, I had a friend who leveled his empath brawling + empathic link to punch everything in the room at once. It was also surprisingly effective. You're wearing light armor, so it's much easier to hurt things in UAC with less training, and empathic link is a pretty good substitute for multi opponent combat for mstrike purposes.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 11-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Of course, empathic link will also allow you to smash everything with a maul at once, too (well, assuming you get good rolls and the damage propagates). Only way I'd consider brawling as an empath (pre-cap) is with a small race that will have a shitty AS with a weapon. That being said, I had no problems leveling my halfling empath using THW until the mid-40s or so.

That being said, once I get my last 20 CM ranks, I am actually about to start brawling as my first combat skill on my empath. But I'll probably be at 21m exp before I even start training...

Spell aiming isn't exactly the only real decision as a pure, as lores are pretty important for an empath. At the very least, you'll want to at least start thinking about how to get up to 65 blessing lore ranks for 1107 if you're going sunfist.

Step 1) 1x THW with a maul
    Step 2)
    Step 3) Profit

Quote Originally Posted by Velfi View Post
    Step 1) 1x THW with a maul
    Step 2)
    Step 3) Profit
    I'd expect an empath to generally have lower endroll hits. So, maybe claidhmore?

Quote Originally Posted by Menos View Post
    I'd expect an empath to generally have lower endroll hits. So, maybe claidhmore?
    The main issue in my opinion is the lack of AS relative to warriors/paladins, and so every extra bit of AS is needed from something enchantable vs say a 3x or 4x weapon, even with the claid's weighting. This is more prevalent at higher levels/post-cap, in my experience.