Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Loresong Unlocks

Blog Entries

At least with ensorcell it's thematically appropriate to be killing stuff in order to charge your item. This version is so, so bizarre. Not everything needs to be an RNG grindfest.

Just do away with the combat thing entirely - let the bard do RECALL after a loresong with their skills playing a role in 'success', or, if you absolutely have to shoehorn LKP in, let it generate automatically at 1-per-week.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

okay lets simplify
    GMs demand when you make an alter it is logical and in genre yes?

in what way does killing things make any sort of sense to allow you to be better at loresinging things?

Hell you wanna add this, make it a random chance based on how often you loresing things, or play musical instruments. At least do what you demand the players do
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    it adds something useful to the game.
    Elaborate on why you think adding another system with RNG for lore on a weapon is useful. I'll wait.

4. Default

Estild also coded Ensorcell, I think he knows of no other way but LKP grinding to base cost on. It would have been much cooler if the ‘energy’ was gained by the amount of loresinging done + difficulty of the item being sung to or something in that vein.

5. Default

Estild also stealth nerfed Tonis for loresong RT reduction if you read the thread on the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Koars Light View Post
    Estild also stealth nerfed Tonis for loresong RT reduction if you read the thread on the officials.
    Bait and switch! Ha!

Estild also coded Ensorcell, I think he knows of no other way but LKP grinding to base cost on. It would have been much cooler if the ‘energy’ was gained by the amount of loresinging done + difficulty of the item being sung to or something in that vein.
    You would think that simply channeling your musical magic into an item until it literally fucking shows you visions would be tiring and painful on your voice. You'd probably need like, a rest or a cooldown of some kind that would grow with your level.

Not just run out and sing stuff to death for a magical, RNG excuse.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Elaborate on why you think adding another system with RNG for lore on a weapon is useful. I'll wait.
    I'm not looking for an argument. I'm asking a question. Unless I'm missing something, it's not a requirement or a change to the way loresinging works now, is it? You can still do a loresong without grinding? You just can't unlock it permanently?

Unlocking a loresong permanently is not a thing that was previously possible, and now it is possible? That's my understanding? That seems like an addition of something useful without breaking or changing the underlying system. Am I reading it wrong?

What's wrong with adding something to that system, even if you don't love the mechanic involved?

It's the same reason ensorcell (which actually does still make sense, thematically) and enchant juice (which fucking doesn't) are tied, effectively, to killing creatures (yes, i suppose you could party like it's 1995 and level your wizard with lockpicking to get that exp for enchant juice)

by having it tied to hunting it prevents table purify / loresong bots from using the ability. It at least forces you to hunt your table bard bot if you want to use it. That will keep the "demand" (if any, lol) of the service more in the hands of people who actually play bards, not people who bought a bard or bigshotted one for a couple months to park at a table.

I mean yeah, it's dumb when you think about it. But gemstone has no real means of alternate advancement for most classes. Tying it to loresinging not only doesn't accomplish keeping the skill in the hands of "real" (for lack of a better term) bards but does the complete opposite of it favoring table bots. It's kind of a bummer for RP-heavy players who don't hunt much. So it'd be nice if it was somehow tied to loresinging in a way they could benefit from but I imagine that's difficult to do meaningfully. Boxes and such now are somehow tagged with who found them (i.e. for the lockpicking service passes and such), I don't know if the treasure system finds themselves are. If they were having LKP generation also tied to singing for items, but with some kind of limit like you can only get credit for an item from the X character once week or a month or something, that would be a nice change and still (mostly) throttle dedicated utility accounts which i believe is the intention.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!

Good game design = give players reasons to play the game.

We can argue over how well we think this will do that, but that's the sentiment behind it.