Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Things we wish Simutronics would fix (but they probably won't)

1. Default

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I wish they'd implemented a crowdfunding development situation, even in addition to the stupid cash shop if they wanted.

e.g. -

Pay $20 towards a $5,000 goal to have a Ranger's guild implemented. X% goes to pay coders working on the system. X% goes to other costs for implementation. X% goes to profit margin. Funds held until the goal is met. If the goal isn't met after X days/weeks/months, everyone that invested can either pick another project to fund or get their money back. Just like the other crowdfunding sites. Invest in the project at certain levels and earn perks, like an NPC in the guild that you work with the GMs to design. A statue of your character as a founder in the Landing's Guild hall. A drink at the bar of your own design. Maybe even work with the GMs to develop a guild skill. etc.

Everybody wins. You're paying specifically for development you're interested in. It doesn't have anyone paying to win anything that doesn't benefit the entire playerbase. The company still makes its margin on a service they would otherwise and really should have all along been offering as part of the subscription. But in lieu of that, fuck it. It's better than "roleplaying awards" for cash.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 12-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.

2. Default

I can see where you're coming from with the idea but I don't really like it. This might be cognitive dissonance talking, but I have a real problem with being asked to pay extra for development for a game with a high monthly subscription cost (compared to competitors) run by a company who are making it absolutely rain with SimuCoin events. I'll do some DR Arena runs because I find it fun, and I buy SimuCoin stuff sometimes, but having to kick in to a THIRD pot just to hope to get a spell circle or two finished? That's borderline offensive imo.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    I can see where you're coming from with the idea but I don't really like it. This might be cognitive dissonance talking, but I have a real problem with being asked to pay extra for development for a game with a high monthly subscription cost (compared to competitors) run by a company who are making it absolutely rain with SimuCoin events. I'll do some DR Arena runs because I find it fun, and I buy SimuCoin stuff sometimes, but having to kick in to a THIRD pot just to hope to get a spell circle or two finished? That's borderline offensive imo.
    Oh yeah no doubt. I hate the idea of paying a giant subscription fee AND having to pay for development AND having to pay for items from a cash shop. Development of the game should be covered by the subscription cost alone, to keep people interested in the continuing to pay it. I'm just saying that in our current situation, it'd be preferable, at least to me, to what we have now. On an even playing field, I'd only say implement a crowdfunded development scheme in a free to play MUD (that's where I originally pitched that idea).
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 12-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.

It's a pretty widespread problem throughout the whole MMO market.

Games will often pander to whales, which ultimately leads to many players quitting, thus leaving the whales with no one to play with, thus making all their advantages rather pointless, thus ruining the game.

At least in the case of Gemstone, it's not as severe of an effect on game balance. But the development priorities are becoming a huge issue.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Koars Light View Post
    Again, I am 100% certain that Wyrom absolutely, positively knows this (as a former player and all). But he has some X dollar quota put there by Whatley in terms of hitting goals and can’t do anything but try to find another scam way to get people to buy/spend simucoins.
    Mario is far less innocent than everyone seems to give him credit for. You don't employ the sales tactics he does without being a supremely shitty human being deep down.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 12-13-2018 at 01:56 PM.

6. Default

If digging/deep sea diving type P2W events aren't a slot machine then I don't know what is.

Complaining is fun. But let's get real:

1. GSIV is for profit, it exists to make money (not to please you).
    2. High subscription fees and pay events are due to #1. It is a tiny but committed player base. They have evaluated that player base and made a decision to maximize revenue.
    3. GSIV might have a nice ROI, but it brings in a tiny amount of revenue. It is not worth investing in growth. It is just a small game among Stillfront's long tail of games. Nobody at Stillfront even cares about Gemstone IV, the only people thinking about it are you and Mario.
    4. Crowd funded development is a nifty approach, but see line #3. I doubt you could get significant crowd funding, and it sends the wrong message to the players: the game is dead.

Don't be angry or frustrated. Let the Whale's enjoy their uber gear, it is what keeps the game afloat. I hit level 63 using a 4x broadsword I bought in 1995 for a $1.50 (100K silver). People are not actually "paying to win", they are just paying for the joy they feel when acquiring something new and cool. I know you love the game and want it to grow, but we all know that is not happening. Just enjoy a piece of nostalgia and be thankful the game still exists. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dud View Post
    Complaining is fun. But let's get real:

1. GSIV is for profit, it exists to make money (not to please you).
    I beg to differ. I pay my subscription fee for it to please me. If it did not please its players, it would not exist.

And honestly, having whales in dope gear doesn't bother me much. What bothers me is the investment of development time. That DOES impact me, and DOES warrant my complaining.

Do I really need to link an Extra Credits video to explain the reasons why investing so much into whales in favor of the community is such a bad thing?