Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight less than a pound

1. Default weight less than a pound

I have a kilt that a bard says weighs "less than a pound." When a 3-pound weapon is inside it, the kilt plus weapon weighs in at 3 pounds. Does this mean the kilt is weightless, or weighs 0 pounds, or does the kilt weigh between 0 and 1 pounds (but not including 1 pound)?

Thanks!
    -LizardClan1/Ulaahn

Quote Originally Posted by LizardClan1 View Post
    I have a kilt that a bard says weighs "less than a pound." When a 3-pound weapon is inside it, the kilt plus weapon weighs in at 3 pounds. Does this mean the kilt is weightless, or weighs 0 pounds, or does the kilt weigh between 0 and 1 pounds (but not including 1 pound)?

Thanks!
    -LizardClan1/Ulaahn
    it's not an altered warrior sheath of some kind? Even then it should be 1.5 (3-2 weapon + .5 sheath) so i dunno.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!

3. Default

Well, zero is certainly less than a pound.

Based on research by Mark/Riltus, 160 coins weighs 1lb, 16 silvers weighs 0.1lb, and most gems weigh 0.1lb. I’d say just keep adding 1 gem or 16 silvers to the container and keep singing until the weight increases by 1lb. Then, you should know the weight of the container down to the tenth of a pound.
    Last edited by Palcron; 10-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.

5. Default

oh, i should mention. the kilt holds a small amount (5 pounds -- it can hold a steel broadsword), but only for *1* item, so I can't add gems to determine the kilt's weight. it can hold exactly 1 gem and that's it.

Thanks!
    -LizardClan1/Ulaahn

Used to be many old containers that were ubiquitously called gem weight, less then a pound but with some unknown value, sadly unless you can fund items that are actually the various percentages of a pound to add to it to then check the weight it would be extremely hard to get a real number.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

7. Default

Couldn't you use encumbrance messaging with the known weight of silver coins to figure out it's true weight?

8. Default

Using encumbrance messaging, I determined that the kilt weighs the same as 80 silver coins.

If 180 silver coins is 1 pound, my kilt weighs less than one-half (1/2) of a pound. A half-pound would, of course, weigh the same as 90 silver coins.

Interesting...

a lot of work to figure that out, why was it that important?
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

10. Default

Only took a few minutes, but you're right it wasn't that important. I was just curious how close to weightless the kilt was. As it turns out, it almost weighs 1/2 pound.