Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New details on how to check warnings and scripting violations on characters

I just want to say that having warnings follow a character rather than the account owner (via billing) is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's like someone buying a used car that the previous owner had a DUI in it, and now the new owner has a DUI on their record too cause it follows the car. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I just want to say that having warnings follow a character rather than the account owner (via billing) is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's like someone buying a used car that the previous owner had a DUI in it, and now the new owner has a DUI on their record too cause it follows the car. Makes no sense whatsoever.
    Actually it's not considering buying and selling characters is technically against policy.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Bit off topic, did they scrub the good and bad complaint section on the officials?
    It does appear that they have PK’d that folder.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I asked them to put back the Discussions with Simutronics folder a few nights ago, as I actually wanted to post something nice about a GH that did a really good job. The request has been completely ignored, so far. Not a "No," not an explanation, nada.
    Last edited by Avaia; 09-26-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    It makes me sad.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

If it didn’t, couldn’t someone who broke the rules simply transfer the character to another account the same person controls? Or do they track IP addresses to counter that?

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    If it didn’t, couldn’t someone who broke the rules simply transfer the character to another account the same person controls? Or do they track IP addresses to counter that?
    They sure could. More concerning to me is I could get a shit ton of warning on ToonA, pushing the limits of lockout for the account, assuming ToonB-X were of any value I could delete ToonA and sell this hot account as clean. The tool is great for personal use, but shouldn't be seen as "proof" of a clean account in a sales situation.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

It's far easier to track people via billing, as it's far more challenging to fake credit cards and payment accounts than other means of online identification. Character buying and selling happens all the time, it's one of the things that keeps this antique game on life support. For them to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

It's far easier to track people via billing, as it's far more challenging to fake credit cards and payment accounts than other means of online identification. Character buying and selling happens all the time, it's one of the things that keeps this antique game on life support. For them to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.
    You're an upstanding member of this community, as am I. I've probably bought 10 characters over the course of 4 years and re-sold them. What I mean is, I don't think this change really affects you or I much anyway, and probably effects less than 5% of the character buying/selling business overall. I very much agree with your position that the character buying/selling market keeps this game going to a point. I see this as only a way to strengthen that market though. The reason is this: In general, this is an RP game where characters interact with other characters constantly. Whoever ran a character from levels 0-40 may have violated a lot of rules and/or standard behavior expectations. If a person with good intentions starts to play the game and wants to buy a character, if the character they end up buying has some reputation because of the way the previous owner played them or broke the rules, it's not fair for the new owner to be handicapped because of that. Someone looking to play by the rules and honor the tradition of the game should be able to feel comfortable buying a character that they know doesn't have a sketchy past.

Maybe it is easier to track people via billing. I don't know, I'm not knowledgeable enough to really understand that. But if my name is Bob Smith, and I simply transfer the character to another account using a different email address and different credit card, but the name on the credit card is still Bob Smith, does Simu really have a way to prove that the old Bob Smith is the same Bob Smith with the different credit card number? Or what if someone is married and has a credit card under their spouses name? It just seems like there's a number of ways someone could circumvent tracking via billing as well.

And honestly, you could use ANY name you want and a credit card in your name. When you charge a credit card, it doesn't verify your name. It would likely do an address check and at least validate your zip code and more advanced your address but most places accept a card with a zip match and security # match. No clue how strict Simu's credit card processing is setup but I think it would be fairly easy to create a new account that's you but with mostly fake info. There are ways to generate credit cards for single/limited use online (www.privacy.com) and you could have a different credit card number for every account.

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    You're an upstanding member of this community, as am I. I've probably bought 10 characters over the course of 4 years and re-sold them. What I mean is, I don't think this change really affects you or I much anyway, and probably effects less than 5% of the character buying/selling business overall. I very much agree with your position that the character buying/selling market keeps this game going to a point. I see this as only a way to strengthen that market though. The reason is this: In general, this is an RP game where characters interact with other characters constantly. Whoever ran a character from levels 0-40 may have violated a lot of rules and/or standard behavior expectations. If a person with good intentions starts to play the game and wants to buy a character, if the character they end up buying has some reputation because of the way the previous owner played them or broke the rules, it's not fair for the new owner to be handicapped because of that. Someone looking to play by the rules and honor the tradition of the game should be able to feel comfortable buying a character that they know doesn't have a sketchy past.

Maybe it is easier to track people via billing. I don't know, I'm not knowledgeable enough to really understand that. But if my name is Bob Smith, and I simply transfer the character to another account using a different email address and different credit card, but the name on the credit card is still Bob Smith, does Simu really have a way to prove that the old Bob Smith is the same Bob Smith with the different credit card number? Or what if someone is married and has a credit card under their spouses name? It just seems like there's a number of ways someone could circumvent tracking via billing as well.