Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC 229

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I dunno. I think Conor's fights with Diaz really hurt his betting pool. Going up a weight class or not, all people remember is that he got beat, and beat soundly, and had very close fights, all of which he could've lost. Before that he was seen as almost immortal. That's where Khabib is now. He hasn't had that loss, or even that real close fight (now that he's in his prime) to show people he could possibly lose. I hadn't yet looked, but -155 is right about where I would've guessed it'd be.

I will be betting, and you're right I should and likely will wait. I don't think it'll get worse, but it could get better. I just don't think it's gonna hit even numbers after the Diaz fights.
    I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the Irish ALWAYS throw a ton of money on McGregor. Look at how the McG/Mayweather line moved (in a fight that no one with knowledge of the sport believed he had a chance in) the days leading up to the fight. I think it was something like +1100 and moved down to +350 or something silly - with Mayweather moving from -2500 to -400.

Russian money could come in to counter-act the Irish money coming in. Khabib is a huge, huge, huge star in the country, but I haven't seen evidence of the fanaticism that McG inspires.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by peam View Post
    I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the Irish ALWAYS throw a ton of money on McGregor. Look at how the McG/Mayweather line moved (in a fight that no one with knowledge of the sport believed he had a chance in) the days leading up to the fight. I think it was something like +1100 and moved down to +350 or something silly - with Mayweather moving from -2500 to -400.

Russian money could come in to counter-act the Irish money coming in. Khabib is a huge, huge, huge star in the country, but I haven't seen evidence of the fanaticism that McG inspires.
    Haha, that's a good point. One of Conor's fights in the US or Brazil was straight up attended by a ton of Irish people flying in from Ireland to see it if I remember correctly. They could definitely move that line.

Diaz is just a dumb piece of board that is good at taking damage. It was like what a week or two and conor agreed to fight him at 170? There are a lot of factors there. And beat soundly is not a good description of that fight. Diaz look like a truck ran over him after just one round. Conor had no cardio apparently OR he landed huge shots that would of felled any other human at 155. Cept he agreed to fight him at 170. If Nate had agreed to cut down, then HIS cardio would of been fucked. lot of factors to consider.....

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by beldar17 View Post
    Diaz is just a dumb piece of board that is good at taking damage. It was like what a week or two and conor agreed to fight him at 170? There are a lot of factors there. And beat soundly is not a good description of that fight. Diaz look like a truck ran over him after just one round. Conor had no cardio apparently OR he landed huge shots that would of felled any other human at 155. Cept he agreed to fight him at 170. If Nate had agreed to cut down, then HIS cardio would of been fucked. lot of factors to consider.....
    Oh no doubt. It was a matchup that was not fair from the beginning. Conor moved up maybe even beyond his natural weight to fight without a cut. All I meant though is that there wasn't so pronounced a physical difference between them that watching those two fights would make you say "Oh well of course he lost. Brock Lesnar is 8 feet tall and weighs 400 pounds". You see two kind of similarly built fighters in a close match, and one of them that used to look invincible now looks just like a really good fighter. That sort of thing can sway the bets when his next opponent is someone who still looks invincible.