Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding and hunting at 38

Default Hiding and hunting at 38

Just switched to 3x S and H after never hunting from hiding and curious what as an archer at this level will be susceptible to hiding assault. Polar bears (first thing I tried) wouldn’t even let me hide they were so perceptive.

Assume I don’t have spells when I hunt (except 401) if that will make a difference
    [Roll result: 120 (open d100: 94) Penalties: 10]
    You crouch, sweep a leg at Master Footpad Truaz and connect!
    Master Footpad Truaz falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

[You have 1 repetition(s) remaining.]

** A spike on your spiked ora leg greaves jabs into the Footpad Truaz! **
    ... 15 points of damage!
    Well aimed shot, punctures calf!
    The Footpad Truaz is stunned!
    Roundtime: 5 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Enuch View Post
    Just switched to 3x S and H after never hunting from hiding and curious what as an archer at this level will be susceptible to hiding assault. Polar bears (first thing I tried) wouldn’t even let me hide they were so perceptive.

Assume I don’t have spells when I hunt (except 401) if that will make a difference
    2x should be more than enough to hide from all but the most perceptive creatures. I've never had a rogue with more than 2x s&h and never had any problems. Do you have Smastery, well trained for your armor? Something else may be going on or you just got unlucky.

***get some spells or underhunt. It'll save you time and money on herbs, empaths and clerics. Also, the Polar Bears are well above your level, especially with only 401.
    Last edited by cwolff; 08-24-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Wearing chain and have 60 ranks in armor - no CMAN at the moment. I’ll try something my lvl or a little under and give it a whirl.
    [Roll result: 120 (open d100: 94) Penalties: 10]
    You crouch, sweep a leg at Master Footpad Truaz and connect!
    Master Footpad Truaz falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

[You have 1 repetition(s) remaining.]

** A spike on your spiked ora leg greaves jabs into the Footpad Truaz! **
    ... 15 points of damage!
    Well aimed shot, punctures calf!
    The Footpad Truaz is stunned!
    Roundtime: 5 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Enuch View Post
    Wearing chain and have 60 ranks in armor - no CMAN at the moment. I’ll try something my lvl or a little under and give it a whirl.
    Since you're sniping now, you can drop to brig (some might even suggest good double leathers) and that will help you hide.

Animals and Undead (and scattered other creatures)tend to be extremely perceptive, though I can't say for certain what the difference between 2x and 3x S & H would be.

Blog Entries

Some animals are more perceptive than others, and sometimes you can hide in front of stuff that will just search you out immediately anyway.

IIRC there's also a penalty for hiding there since it's supposed to be barren tundra.

At that level I was hunting trali in EN, they weren't too perceptive. Mastodonic leopards could sniff me out maybe 25% of the time at 2x + mass colors.
    Last edited by Taernath; 08-24-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Might give Storm Giants a shot. Cold guardians will pull you out of hiding but are pretty harmless. Theres also Grizzly Bears but they are decently perceptive.

Animals and undead are harder to hide around. As mentioned, some areas around IMT make it more difficult too. Don't worry about your armor though. As long as you are trained for it, it doesn't really matter. Vanishing is easier in lighter armors, but you don't have to worry about being hit as much in heavier armors.

If you are going the hidden route, I'd recommend picking up rank 5 in Shadow Mastery. The drop in roundtime for sneaking is great for hunting perceptive critters. Just hide one room away and sneak in if you have to.

If you can get a bless, Varunar was great for me at that level. I was able to hide perfectly fine at only 2x. Only did lords and warhorses. Also, +1 for eventual trali. It's where I went after Varunar.

has not been mentioned i dont think, but my rogue around that level was able to hide and punch Kiramon in the face quite well, i imagine an arrow to the neck isn't that much different.