Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paladins and Weapons

Default Paladins and Weapons

So, I have been struggling with my Paladin who uses 2 handed weapons, and I want to figure out if I should fixskill him into something else. I have pretty good equipment, but have trouble equal level hunting without a spellup.

Based on skill costs and spells, it appears that one handed weapon and shield might be better (and free up some training points), but I worry that it will be a grind to kill things.

I assume two weapon combat would be even more difficult, because I would have to attack with shortswords or something to not be in RT hell. Is there actually a way to make TWC viable as a paladin?

For sword and board, I assume that I will want a sanctified tower shield so I can gain guiding light on the shield bash.

Anyway, looking for advice. (Human in upper 20's level wise)

Vendon

2. Default

What are you hunting?

OHB/Shield or OHE/Shield if you find your are having issues hunting.

I mean, if you are using THW you better be 1x dodge as well, and even then it can hurt.

TWC is very fun but also very TP intensive and usually you'll need to rely on outside spells more than you will with THW.

It really depends what you want to do in the end, you could go the shield route and have some great manuevers at your disposal, or you could go THW and just smash stuff. TWC is cool and nice for having alot of attacks, but then you'll need MOC for focused strikes etc

Blog Entries

I have a OHB and a polearm paladin, neither of them have ever had issues hunting same-level. I'm assuming you went straight for 1625+ and it was an issue with bolt DS or TD?

OHB can be a bit slow if you don't disable/knock over a critter prior to beating on it, and yeah, you'll want to pick up a sancted shield at some point.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

I am currently level 27 2x THW, 2x Armor, 1x CM, 1x Dodge, 1x PF, 20 levels MOC
    Stats are optimized for level 100, so currently somewhat lacking in combat related stats and human
    No Societies yet - I am still trying to decide between Voln and GoS

I am wearing 4x Brig that is temporarily very heavily crit padded, and a 8x T5 Greatsword
    Spelled up, I am fine (Dreavening) With only self buffs, I hunt OK, but am usually pretty banged up by the time I am fried.

I still need about 5 levels or so to get to Hauberk (I have one of those 5x SWCP ones from DR)

If I were to go OHE/Shield (I have a pretty good waraxe I can use), I would need to get a decent shield (preferably sanctified)

If I was going to bite the bullet and down hunt to use TWC, is there a viable weapon to pair with the waraxe (or should I get anther waraxe for the super slow waraxe Cuisinart?)

Just giving some more perspective for the advice.

Vendon

Blog Entries

There isn't too much stuff at that level that has particularly dangerous maneuvers, so you could probably just eat the maneuver penalty and wear the hauberk now, if you wanted. That greatsword + 1625 should be vaporizing most stuff before it can hit you.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

What speed are you swinging your weapon at? If it's 5 or 6 seconds, you should take a look at your hunting patterns. You probably need to either stance better (you can swing at less than offensive when you're not glowing with spells), vary your hunting ground, or work on your battle setup.

8. Default

Unless you're hunting things way above your level you shouldn't be having any issues, especially with an 8x greatsword.
    Last edited by Androidpk; 08-21-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Hey All,

Forgot to mention that I am not currently bonded well enough to get the flares. Should be another level for that.

I am not unable to hunt equal level, I just get beaten up when I am not externally spelled up. Perhaps I should hunt something squishy like Cyclops.

That might be my total issue, and it will get better when I get the flares.

Vendon

The society bonuses can be a major boon. You would be much less reliant on outside spells with that ~+30 DS/AS and depending on society +TD as well. Both Voln and GoS are excellent for paladins. Hell, GoS gives you a lot of options for defense that are incredibly powerful, and paladins have good mana + stamina with stamina utility in their spells to really shine. Get you some +10 DS and HCP from sigil of major protection, +20 to your TD with sigil of focus, and +20 DS with sigil of protection. This will greatly improve your overall survival in the field!