Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it acceptable to use homophobic slurs in the context of friendly "banter"?

Default Is it acceptable to use homophobic slurs in the context of friendly "banter"?

First let's hear from the side against homophobic slurs being used:

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Dude, take this post down. It probably sounded cool when you were drunk but it's not. Tyrant's a kick ass guy, but even if he weren't you still don't need to be posting shit like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    You should be banned for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    This made it worth it.

Thread: Tyrant201 is a faggot
    Lame. - Back - Back
    07-23-2017 08:57 AM
    You're disgusting - time4fun
    07-23-2017 04:40 AM
    ... ~Briarfox - BriarFox
    This isn't about Tyrant. This is about a game that has a small population of people and a new owner- a game that needs new players to want to join, not scared off. And for better or for worse, this forum is associated with the game. Any new player we'd actually want to keep would see this thread and keep looking for a new game- who would want to be a part of a community with threads like these in 2017?

How many players have been chased out of here or just left out of disgust from things that a small hand full of people have said and done on this forum? The way Wrath and PB abuse the rep mechanics to get rid of people who post things they don't want to hear, the way people like you and Gelston do your darndest to create as toxic an environment as possible becuase you think it's funny.

This trollish little group is costing us players and the more tight-knit community we need to ensure the game survives. And what I'm saying here is that you're not worth it.

And throwing out the ban hammer would help get the point across that the long-term survival of this game is more important than some adult-sized chidren who never learned to cope with their own lives and so need to come here to get their jollies.
    I don't abuse the rep system to punish people I disagree with, I don't create threads that target specific people by name (nor do I use epithets like the one you used), and I don't follow people around and harrass them in any thread I can find them in. For the most part, I keep my thoughts within posts in a particular subfolder of this forum. I disagree with people- I don't harass them.

What you did with this thread is- as has been pointed out- a new low. But it's also an extention of other behaviors that ony a small hand full of people on this forum engage in. Your attempt to normalize it is part of the problem.
    And that's not the benchmark against which we want to determine normal, acceptablel behavior.

It'd be nice to get to a point where we can say "This isn't going to be a part of our community, and if you feel the need to do these things- then you're not welcome in our community".
    Tisket is correct. You putting it in your sig is gross- especially given your personal history.

You're doing just as much damage as this thread title is doing. You're normalizing the use of a word no one should be normalizing.

You're just as bad as Gelston.
    1st Amendment rights don't apply to relationships between people and private entities. Anyoneover the age of 12 knows that. You being a disgusting human being in an online form isn't Constitutionally protected you child.

But at least you can admit that what you did was hate speech.
    Now a certain member of our community has defended his usage of the exact same word as such:

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Yes, I know why I have, because I was probably bantering with another service member. And yes, I know why they, because they're deeply homophobic biggots who are using these as personal attacks.
    What say you, moral arbiters of language?

Those two live rent free in so many of y'all's heads.

Quote Originally Posted by peam View Post
    Those two live rent free in so many of y'all's heads.
    Hey stay on topic!

The way this kind of stuff gets flung around is the one thing that bums me out the most about the PC, to be honest. I'm never going to agree with most conservatives, (nor they me!), on politics, political issues, policy, candidates, etc. That's fine. I don't really see arguing about that as fruitful because we've each got our views and they're unlikely to change. But dropping the f-bomb, calling this or that or the other thing gay, and worse - as someone with gay family members and friends and knowing what kind of hate they've received in their lives just for being themselves and wanting to be happy, love, and be loved - I really hate it. I'm sure I'll catch a bunch of red for this post. That's OK. The next time you're considering throwing a gay slur at someone, even friendly, maybe just don't instead. I'm not perfect. I spent most of my youth using those slurs, as did most of my friends. I regret it but you can only move forward. You can get your point across without using homosexuality as a perjorative. It's 2018 and we can do better.

Blog Entries

I'm not reading all that shit, but no. I used to, but I try to avoid doing so now.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Hey stay on topic!
    Or else!

Also reported for not making this a poll.
    Last edited by Methais; 08-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

I don't use the word as a homo phobic slur. If others don't agree with me I don't give a fuck.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

I don't use the word as a homo phobic slur. If others don't agree with me I don't give a fuck.
    I believe you, I think context matters. Like I wouldn't get upset just by someone using the word cracker or honky. Now if they were making overly racist comments, like white people should live under ground like groveling goblins, then I might think they were being just a touch racist.

Blog Entries

Reported to Harmnone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Reported to Harmnone.
    How beef wellington of you.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam