Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFCIAL: McKyren's End Hunting Area Update

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    All this time you thought the thing with lights whizzing by int he rift was a car, it's actually a mech. Simu Shared Universe is just prime for the marvel treatment.
    Simu: Simu's newest game will combine all 3 of their games into one! For the low low price of $199.99 a month!
    Customers: Eh...
    Simu: There will be lots of fluff and little development to confuse you with...
    Customers: Ohhhhhh!

Someone needs to make MuD with mechs.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Someone needs to make MuD with mechs.
    This would never work without tentacle rape side quests.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    This would never work without tentacle rape side quests.
    Just put the tentacles in the cockpit. Oh what, you thought that name was some weird joke?

Just put the tentacles in the cockpit. Oh what, you thought that name was some weird joke?
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

It all links back to Airplane!

It all links back to Airplane!
    Confirmed Wyrom is Roger Murdock and only tries hard in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Koars Light View Post
    Development GameMaster Hiring 2018

As mentioned at Simucon, we're looking to hire some potential GameMasters for the Development team. As a member of the Technical Systems Development team, you will contribute to some of the core systems of GemStone. Some of these systems include: professions, combat, creatures, and societies. You will be expected to contribute via designing and implementing updates to these systems.

After basic GM training, we will get you up to speed on coding in GSL (our proprietary scripting language), allowing you to begin creating with the guidance of an experienced GM. Although referral shifts are not required for this team, you may on occasion be consulted to investigate code-related issues. You are expected to have a strong interest in, and/or understanding of, the underlying mechanics of the game. We do not expect you to be an expert on all areas of the game (no one is), but you should be able to demonstrate strong mechanical knowledge of some aspect of the game (perhaps of your favored profession), as well as being willing and able to learn new game mechanics when needed.

We do not require that you have professional coding experience prior to being hired. Having prior coding or programming experience is an asset, but the most important strength to demonstrate in your application is a strong grasp of game design principles, alongside the enthusiasm to learn and having the free time available to do so.

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...ents/view/3133

Posted today. Time to get your applications in!
    I doubt any of their current or former staff will sue, but I'm pretty confident that they way they compensate their staff falls afoul of labor law. I know they claim GMs are "volunteers" but that argument is incredibly unlikely to hold up in court.

Department of Labor, Volunteers:
    Under the FLSA, employees may not volunteer services to for-profit private sector employers.
    The more likely argument is that GMs are "independent contractors" and thus not covered by most labor law (i.e. they aren't "employees"). But even this would be a tough row to hoe.

DOL, Wage and Hour Division:
    The U.S. Supreme Court has on a number of occasions indicated that there is no single rule or test for determining whether an individual is an independent contractor or an employee for purposes of the FLSA. The Court has held that it is the total activity or situation which controls. Among the factors which the Court has considered significant are:

1. The extent to which the services rendered are an integral part of the principal's business.
    2. The permanency of the relationship.
    3. The amount of the alleged contractor's investment in facilities and equipment.
    4. The nature and degree of control by the principal.
    5. The alleged contractor's opportunities for profit and loss.
    6. The amount of initiative, judgment, or foresight in open market competition with others required for the success of the claimed independent contractor.
    7. The degree of independent business organization and operation.

There are certain factors which are immaterial in determining whether there is an employment relationship. Such facts as the place where work is performed, the absence of a formal employment agreement, or whether an alleged independent contractor is licensed by State/local government are not considered to have a bearing on determinations as to whether there is an employment relationship. Additionally, the Supreme Court has held that the time or mode of pay does not control the determination of employee status

Those factors don't all need to be met, the test is about the "economic reality" of the relationship and so it's about judging based on those factors.

Quote Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
    I doubt any of their current or former staff will sue, but I'm pretty confident that they way they compensate their staff falls afoul of labor law. I know they claim GMs are "volunteers" but that argument is incredibly unlikely to hold up in court.

Department of Labor, Volunteers:

The more likely argument is that GMs are "independent contractors" and thus not covered by most labor law (i.e. they aren't "employees"). But even this would be a tough row to hoe.

DOL, Wage and Hour Division:

Those factors don't all need to be met, the test is about the "economic reality" of the relationship and so it's about judging based on those factors.
    For sure they are considered independent contractors, but whenever the issue of a lack of game development comes up the GMs are quick to play the "we're practically volunteers!" card.

I think it was said somewhere that they are commission based. I wish I could find it without spending hours but I'm pretty sure that's what was said.

If that's true, I'd bet money that Simu were low-balling in the price range. Also, if you're unhappy, as "practically a volunteer" sounds like you're unhappy, get paid better. It's stupid to think that people could look at Simu and see the subscription fee and cash shop and player base and go "I can't rob these poor folks, I'll work for cheap."