Thread: Mac Setup (Virtual Windows?)

Question Mac Setup (Virtual Windows?)

I am planning to retire my desktop soon. Instead of building a new PC, it makes a bit more sense practically to use my fancy schmancy macbook pro from my last job. Its nice, powerful, and should work fine.

I tried setting up lich on it before and found it to be difficult.

What do you guys recommend for setting up on a MAC? Virtual Windows is also an option, but would prefer to use Mac OS if that is possible.

Thanks,
    ..:: My Wares ::..

WANTED:
    Un-navable Gold Ring
    AUR Enhancives, Spell Aim Enhancives
    Spear/Jav Bando or Returner (prefer War-Hammer, but open)
    C==||====> Custom Forging Services - Get your perfect 2hander or Polearm now! <====||==D

2. Default

I have it working both using Avalon on my work machine and at home I just use VMWare Fusion and boot up windows in the seamless mode so it looks like it's just an app that runs on the mac. Both options work okay but I personally I'm not a huge fan of Avalon. I just have it in case I get bored and want to read lnet. I did at one point set up bootcamp and dual booted but that ended up being more of a pain than anything.

The only thing is I set up my macros with "Alt" and I constantly accidentally hit "Command+Q" instead of "Alt+Q" and well that closes anything I have open.
    Elementary my dear Watson!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    I have it working both using Avalon on my work machine and at home I just use VMWare Fusion and boot up windows in the seamless mode so it looks like it's just an app that runs on the mac. Both options work okay but I personally I'm not a huge fan of Avalon. I just have it in case I get bored and want to read lnet. I did at one point set up bootcamp and dual booted but that ended up being more of a pain than anything.

The only thing is I set up my macros with "Alt" and I constantly accidentally hit "Command+Q" instead of "Alt+Q" and well that closes anything I have open.
    I will buy a dock and use my current keyboard, mouse, dual monitors setup. So it should still feel, sort of, the same. At least not as drastic as going to full apple keyboard/mouse.

So you reccommend vmware fusion? I think i was using virtualpc before i cant remember now thought.

I definately want full lnet/lich features.

WANTED:
    Un-navable Gold Ring
    C==||====> Custom Forging Services - Get your perfect 2hander or Polearm now! <====||==D

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnix View Post
    I will buy a dock and use my current keyboard, mouse, dual monitors setup. So it should still feel, sort of, the same. At least not as drastic as going to full apple keyboard/mouse.

So you reccommend vmware fusion? I think i was using virtualpc before i cant remember now thought.

I definately want full lnet/lich features.
    Yeah I play both ways docked and undocked. You'd get the full benefits of lnet/lich if you go Avalon I'm just not a fan of the FE. In my opinion its a watered down version of the Wizard. VMWare Fusion has a 30 day free trial and I suggest you do that before you buy it. I just like how seamless it is and the set up is a breeze. I'd suggest trying both ways and seeing what look and feel you prefer. But if you're anything like me you'll end up with a VM.

Wait i thought avalon was a vmware product, it is a MUD client? I definately want to use Stormfront + Lich/Lnet as that is what i'm used to and have years of scripts and macros in. So i guess i'm going virtual windows then if thats what i need to do to use my current setup.

WANTED:
    Un-navable Gold Ring

6. Default

Avalon is Simu's front end for the game. If you want to use SF + lich then I suggest you go the VM route or bootcamp if that's your cup of tea. VMWare Fusion is VMWare's virtual machine client for MacOs.