Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Monk - Many Questions!

Question New Monk - Many Questions!

I've played one character for the past ~4 years (post-cap empath) and have rolled a monk to play around with UAC and do something different. I went with a Halfling because I like them and because of the ETD/Sorc TD bonuses and good maneuver dodging traits. I'm having a great time punching things faces in around WL. Some of my questions will be dumb, just because I haven't played a lowbie in forever. I plan to set stats to max at cap before level 20, because I figure PSelf will help make up the difference and I don't particularly want to shell out for a Fixstats.

I've read the last year or so of this subforum and it's given me a general idea of what's up with the class and some ideas of where I'd like to take the build. I've also read the Flimbo guide and Comprehensive Monk Guide on the Wiki.

- Society: I have only ever done COL in this game (GS3 and GS4) so I want to switch things up. I generally loathe relying on asking people for things (ie blesses, access to graveyard) which sours me on Voln a bit. GoS seems like it's fairly well suited to a monk since a lot of the CMans they use are passive, freeing up stamina for Sigils and Mstrikes. My current plan is to join GoS (I'm level 5) and knock out my five warcamps before level 20. If Voln is noticeably superior for some reason please pitch it to me. I really don't like non-corp things :-/

- Gear: Where does one readily come by 4x (flaring a plus) hand/foot wraps? PShops seems sparse and I refuse to believe I have to pay 2m+ for vanilla 4x Anything. Same question on robes, is there an easy place to pick up 4x?

- Spells: People seem split 50/50 between a medium/heavy spell build (some advocate 1220 by 25 and then 120 by 60ish, others 1220 and 120 by 40-45(!)) or more physical (.3x spells or so, loading up on dodge/MOC/PF/CM). Right now I'm in the physical camp because Dreavenings exist and I'm not shy about abusing them for as long as that gravy train holds up. I also want 3x dodge for the DS on those occasions where I can't get spells. Is there a compelling reason to go spell heavy? It seems you really sacrifice a lot of core things to do that.

- Build: I need to get around to doing a spreadsheet for this guy to see if the below is feasible but I'm thinking of something along these lines if I stay physical heavy
    .5x TWC
    2x Brawl
    2x CM (all in on PSelf rank 5 by level 30 or whenever it's first feasible)
    2x PF
    3x Dodge
    MOC in chunks (35 ranks by 20 is something I'd like to achieve, then whatever's next - 50 ranks?)
    1x Perception
    .5x Swim
    .5x Climb
    .3x Spell (MnM up to 1220 then switch to MnS)

Open Question: Lores - I think Transformation looks the most worthwhile, maybe to 15 ranks and then stop since (I hope) I won't be getting hit all that often?
    AS/MIU - how often do people train in these? The most I can see myself regularly using is small statues/dull gold coins. Maybe focus on MIU when points allow and deal with AS later?

Anything else I'm missing?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    I've played one character for the past ~4 years (post-cap empath) and have rolled a monk to play around with UAC and do something different. I went with a Halfling because I like them and because of the ETD/Sorc TD bonuses and good maneuver dodging traits. I'm having a great time punching things faces in around WL. Some of my questions will be dumb, just because I haven't played a lowbie in forever. I plan to set stats to max at cap before level 20, because I figure PSelf will help make up the difference and I don't particularly want to shell out for a Fixstats.

I've read the last year or so of this subforum and it's given me a general idea of what's up with the class and some ideas of where I'd like to take the build. I've also read the Flimbo guide and Comprehensive Monk Guide on the Wiki.

- Society: I have only ever done COL in this game (GS3 and GS4) so I want to switch things up. I generally loathe relying on asking people for things (ie blesses, access to graveyard) which sours me on Voln a bit. GoS seems like it's fairly well suited to a monk since a lot of the CMans they use are passive, freeing up stamina for Sigils and Mstrikes. My current plan is to join GoS (I'm level 5) and knock out my five warcamps before level 20. If Voln is noticeably superior for some reason please pitch it to me. I really don't like non-corp things :-/

- Gear: Where does one readily come by 4x (flaring a plus) hand/foot wraps? PShops seems sparse and I refuse to believe I have to pay 2m+ for vanilla 4x Anything. Same question on robes, is there an easy place to pick up 4x?

- Spells: People seem split 50/50 between a medium/heavy spell build (some advocate 1220 by 25 and then 120 by 60ish, others 1220 and 120 by 40-45(!)) or more physical (.3x spells or so, loading up on dodge/MOC/PF/CM). Right now I'm in the physical camp because Dreavenings exist and I'm not shy about abusing them for as long as that gravy train holds up. I also want 3x dodge for the DS on those occasions where I can't get spells. Is there a compelling reason to go spell heavy? It seems you really sacrifice a lot of core things to do that.

- Build: I need to get around to doing a spreadsheet for this guy to see if the below is feasible but I'm thinking of something along these lines if I stay physical heavy
    .5x TWC
    2x Brawl
    2x CM (all in on PSelf rank 5 by level 30 or whenever it's first feasible)
    2x PF
    3x Dodge
    MOC in chunks (35 ranks by 20 is something I'd like to achieve, then whatever's next - 50 ranks?)
    1x Perception
    .5x Swim
    .5x Climb
    .3x Spell (MnM up to 1220 then switch to MnS)

Open Question: Lores - I think Transformation looks the most worthwhile, maybe to 15 ranks and then stop since (I hope) I won't be getting hit all that often?
    AS/MIU - how often do people train in these? The most I can see myself regularly using is small statues/dull gold coins. Maybe focus on MIU when points allow and deal with AS later?

Anything else I'm missing?
    On spells, the answer is - you get them whenever you're feeling the pinch on DS or TD. You're getting 20/20 ranks and then stopping for a long time - probably until cap. Some people want to fight stuff in other towns from Dreavenings before 50-60 that cast CS spells, and you'll want the minor spirit circle earlier. If you don't fight anything that's casting hard at you, or you're still in the landing to have Dreavenings, you can hold off on minor spirit until 60, 70, even 80 if you really wanted, unless you get short on DS and need the 120.

I personally recommend going at least 3 ranks into minor spirit early because 101 and 103 are a nice little cheap boost, and sans Dreavening, 102 is nice to hunt with because you really have no trouble hitting regardless.

MoC is 5, 30, 55 90, 135 ranks. Do the chunks and stop at those breakpoints and the rest is okay. Personally I wouldn't worry about 0.5x climb/swim. They're both super cheap. Leave them at zero until you hit a spot you need them, then boost them up. You'll probably have the TPs lying around for it.

Lastly, on voln, 1207 opens the graveyard gate, and after rank 8 you don't need to bless at all. YOu won't get the benefit of your enchant, but as a monk, you won't need it. You can hit it while it's sitting in defense and still have 130MM with 102 on and unblessed.

GoS is also very fun though. I did both.

AS/MIU - As much as you need to do what you want to do. If you want to hunt the broken lands, I think it's 15 ranks AS. Other than that, whatever your enhancives/scroll needs are. For me that number was 0, but I hate enhancives and active use stuff.

So long as you have the spells, I wouldn't worry too hard about bumping your armor class up with lores til cap. You don't start getting hit at all until level 80 or so, and that's just self spelled. stamina reduction is nice, but not essential. It's personal preference with lores pre-cap. My own post cap goal was 75 in the armor and 25 in the stamina reduction with enhancives to bump the 25 to the next level.

GoS is the superior society. Everyone knows that. Although Smite is kind of cool, but I've always found the 4 seconds it takes more trouble than it's worth. The big challenge with GoS is that it eats into the stamina you'd otherwise be using for mstriking, but stamina recovery and CON enhancives are relatively cheap and solve that problem well enough. You'll also need a lot more HP ranks if you go Sunfist. I noticed that Flimbo only has 31 at cap -- my monk has something like 65 ranks at 91 and will still start running low on mana if I start casting 1219 a lot while I keep major bane, protection and focus up. Still, those HP ranks are nice for spellburst areas, and if I switch from major to minor protection I don't have any mana problems.

I like Sunfist for monks for the following reason:
    1. 1213 helps a lot with the stamina costs
    2. Monks can 3x in PF so they have a lot of stamina anyhow
    3. Free HCP is awesome.
    4. Sigil of focus gives 7 more TD than symbol of protection.
    5. Sigil of distraction (which nobody ever seems to use) reliably decreases EBP, which is a factor in MM. Sigil of intimidation is cool too, but it’s kind of expensive.
    6. Monks kick ass in warcamps, especially troll camps if you have fire flaring gloves.
    7. Everybody likes sigil of determination.

I also suspect that Flimbo is such a proponent of getting 120 early because he is a gnome and doesn’t get that fancy TD bonus that halflings do. Yes, I do get warded sometimes, but it generally hasn’t been a problem with the vast majority of hunting areas I’ve tried. It’s easy enough to get 101/107 from other folks, and with that fat ETD bonus you can do just fine without elementals.

And while I’ve heard of a lot of monks who hunt with 102 up, I can’t stand the UAF penalty. Yes I know that MM is a bigger factor than UAF, but it still makes a difference. The best defense is a good offense!

Thank you both. Feeling good about GOS. I'll step my HP up to .6x or so to account for the sigil upkeep, and reduce Swim/Climb down to .25x or so since there's that GoS sigil that helps with those abilities. I don't want to bother with enhancives if I can avoid it. My empath is an enhancive junkie and I'd love to keep things as simple as I can on the monk.

As for robes, looks like Sairi's WL shop has affordably solved my immediate needs for 2x and shortly 4x plain flowing robes.

5. Default

I was middle of the road for spiritual. I got 120 at level 59 because I started fighting stuff that cast at me, but I had 103 by level 30 so I didn't need outside spells to stay in offensive throughout a hunt.

Everything Khorpulent said is also accurate. I was GoS until 40, and it was very fun and useful. I migrated away because I don't like being handcuffed for places I can hunt, didn't want to rely on anyone else to bless for me, and preferred to use all my stamina for mstrike rather than sigils. Purely personal preference for that.

6. Default

I am also told, though I never checked, that the GoS outpost on FWI sells 4x fire flaring boots and gloves. That may be your jumping off point. Otherwise look on the merchant channel on lich. Lots of people have flaring UAC stuff lying about.

I've been frustrated solo hunting warcamps with UAC. It's a fun aspect of the game but it can also be slow and when you're facing off against 5 or 6 enemies being slow hurts. As a low level character you can't take full advantage of Mstrike either. I know you want to play with UAC but it might be worth considering a THW or TWC build if you go GOS. Master it by level 13ish and then switch to UAC.

Voln is pretty cool for monks though and worth considering especially for a UAC build. One question to ask is if Voln still "penalizes" you for being low level of if favor gain is based on like level kills now.I don't know if that's changed now or not. Anyway, It gives you a lot of flexibility and access to some society benefits that Minor Mental doesn't cover, saves stamina, saves mana and self bless means never having to ask.

As for spells, I'd also encourage 1x MnM until 1216 by level 16. I wasn't able to follow this advice with a THW build though and ended up at like .7x by level 20 and got to 1220 by level 23 or so.

I was basically .7x spells all the way to 1220 -> 120 -> 1236 and didn't regret it all. I also leveled pre-MoC being a thing so there was comparatively little opportunity cost.

GoS might overall be better but the 5 minute durations just piss me off whenever I have to deal with them (determination and major prot are the shit though). Voln is just a ton of convenience between self-blessing, seeking, etc. If you do spell tank on your way to cap and die to some bullshit openroll, etc. you have sym of recall to ease the pain there. emergency transference is really good also (better than escape imo).

if you ever feel like grinding out reim, smiting bosses and knocking off their arms and legs is pretty awesome. especially the emps.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Voln is great for cap. It was a massive pain in the ass for me to maintain favor on my non-capped characters. It felt like I had to farm favor for 3 days straight just to have enough to hunt for 4-5 days and this was on characters in the level 40s and level 70s. I went back to GoS on one of them (my UAC character), and it was ideal because there was practically no undead to hunt at his level anyway. That being said, Voln was very nice when undead was in the equation. Being able to continuously fight, and take advantage of krynch without having to swap equipment or pause for any reason would be ideal in a mixed hunting ground.

If you intend to fight a lot of undead, voln will be beneficial. You can also use 1213 and qstrike to make things like smite take less than 4s, so you get more advantage out of the non-corporeal state. Like qstrike 1, smite target, mstrike punch target (or kick) which works well with the stamina reduction.

GoS is also great. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the faction except you will find it hard to rotate the sigils at a lower level. It becomes pretty reliable in the 30s, but prior to that it won't be easy to keep major sigils running. Voln does have the advantage of costing you no personal resources to activate the abilities. While it's a pain to keep favor up, it will be much easier to use the symbols than it is to use sigils early on.

I don't recommend CoL because it offers nothing truly valuable to a UAC hunter. If you drop below the required spirit threshold, you will NOT lose UAF - but you WILL lose MM. That's critical to your combat mechanics, so you'd need to have like 9 spirit to keep both swords and shields running in order to not lose MM when they worse off. As a halfling though, your spirit regen is pretty boss, so you could recover quicker than most. It's just not ideal compared to the others.
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.

I had trouble with favor during the undead gap, that is indeed some bullshit and I can't believe it's still a thing. With the RR boot opening up going to the citadel is a lot less of a pain in the ass now and helps fill in a relatively barren range for undead. Once you're at / near the level gap shadow valley is a great place to farm favor, the spawn rate there is jus stupid. and if you can handle reim, that helps tool but yeah, it's a real annoying. During that time I just trimmed down symbol usage leading up to and through it (stopped using suprem on dead, didn't run courage / prot if i didn't need, etc.) which sucks. Like really sucks, like ffs guys add some non-awful hunting grounds undead.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!