N
    G
    B
    U
    R
    G
    E
    Ratting out the boss

Analysis that the plea agreement is pardon-proof: https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/09/1...-pardon-proof/

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by peam View Post
    Analysis that the plea agreement is pardon-proof: https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/09/1...-pardon-proof/
    EW is the boss.

WASHINGTON Donald Trump is telling friends and aides in private that things are going great for him.

Some reasons: He's decided that a key witness in the Russia probe, Paul Manafort, isn't going to "flip" and sell him out, friends and aides say. He believes Robert Mueller, who heads the investigation, can be crushed, if necessary, without being fired. Sweeping tax and regulatory cuts will juice the economy and get him re-elected in 2020, he is predicting. He thinks he's learned how to handle the dysfunction of Congress. And he's even come to like the White House, the bad plumbing and drafty halls notwithstanding. "I love this place!" he told one friend.

In other words, as he prepares to deliver his first State of the Union address on Tuesday night, the president is very pleased to report that the State of Donald Trump himself is nothing short of fantastic.

LOL

Not sure about the pardon thing anymore. Check out this tweet thread and see if it makes any sense to you. https://twitter.com/emptywheel/statu...22626924883968

Reasons why this is pardon proof:

1) Mueller already got the key pieces of testimony a pardon would thwart.
    2) Manafort is subject to civil forfeiture; he loses $46M even w/pardon.
    3) The dropped charges can be filed in states.

A pardon, at this point, does nothing. Nothing.
    If Manafort's already given key evidence that trump wanted to stay secret then the pardon's too late. He also can't pardon to save his ass.

5. Default

My money is on Mueller already having testimony from Manafort, especially in regards to the Trump Tower meeting.

Giuliani said in an initial statement Friday that the probe into Manafort “has concluded with a plea having nothing to do with President Trump or the Trump campaign.”
    “The reason: the President did nothing wrong and Paul Manafort will tell the truth,”
    the first statement read.

The president’s legal team reportedly issued a second statement shortly afterward that only said the “president did nothing wrong”

Ooops. Hahahaha! These fucking clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    My money is on Mueller already having testimony from Manafort, especially in regards to the Trump Tower meeting.
    It sounds like something went down. EW is talking about the 1.5 hour delay this morning that seems to be a key event. They're saying that this was probably a last minute deal and last minute cooperation where Manafort spilled the beans. I don't know of course. It's all speculation but it's not good for the trumplicans
    Last edited by cwolff; 09-14-2018 at 12:54 PM.

7. Default

Manafort will be required to give interviews, briefings, turn over documents and provide testimony. F5 Friday ftw.
    Last edited by Androidpk; 09-14-2018 at 01:03 PM.

After Papadopoulos was sentenced, Trump tweeted that the government had spent $28 million on the Russia investigation. After today's conviction and more than $40 million of forfeitures by Manafort, the Mueller investigation is operating at a surplus.

Manafort will be required to give interviews, briefings, turn over documents and provide testimony. F5 Friday ftw.
    This is going to be an F5 Friday.
    A little weird for this to be leaking late at night. Tomorrow is gonna be an F5 Friday.
    F5 Friday.
    www.twitch.tv/3piecesofbread
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun
    No, actually, Back is not an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.

And feel free to get me banned, not going to stop my lawyer from sending Kranar a subpoena for IP information on a couple of people.

I'm inclined to agree. Mueller would have wanted some assurances.

And whatever they got must have been at least reasonably important. Manafort is likely effectively getting off with no actual additional jail time from the second set of charges.

Though the fact that he agreed to give up all of his money gives me some pause. I wonder if Mueller's team actually had more on him- some Collusion-related charges for example (Rick Gates has been cooperating for a while now).