Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting Lich.

Yeah. I used the link above. I initially downloaded the wrong Ruby. But I fixed that. I think lich isn’t accessing the repo for the inintial download. The only command it knows is ;help and it isn’t helpful. I don’t know if it’s an issue with Ruby, my computer?

Having said that. My laptop is acting weird anyway and is quite old. I’m going to address that and then try again Might be a bit though. I need to go visit the geeks over at Best Buy
    Last edited by Alrisaren; 07-28-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Don't know if it matters or not, but you say our laptop is old, does that mean you upgraded to Windows 10 from something else? Whenever I used to do that, I would invariably have issues with programs, all sorts of programs, a clean install always seemed to work better. The guys at Best Buy will handle up on that, I know this because the hard drive in my laptop recently bit the dust and they installed a new one and a fresh windows build. The install for lich went perfectly after that.

Yeah. You may have a point. Considering whether it’s time to upgrade my laptop altogether. Not entirely sure if I should since I generally use my iPad for most things and really only use the computer to access work stuff when I’m home.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I may give it another shot in a week or so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaren View Post
    Yeah. You may have a point. Considering whether it’s time to upgrade my laptop altogether. Not entirely sure if I should since I generally use my iPad for most things and really only use the computer to access work stuff when I’m home.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I may give it another shot in a week or so.
    You don't necessarily have to "upgrade." You can drop a couple hundred bucks on something that will run Gemstone just fine. You just want a fresh hard drive and new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

5. Default

It sounds like you didn't extract the full zip file, like horibu said. If you double-click on the zip file, you'll see its contents. Then if you double-click on lich.rbw, it will start Lich, but Lich will be running in a temporary folder all by itself. That means the scripts folder will be empty and it will act as you are describing. Windows almost hides the fact that the zip file is actually a zip file and tries to trick you into thinking it's a folder. So even if you have extracted the whole zip file, you may be starting Lich using the zip file instead of the extracted files.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmen View Post
    It sounds like you didn't extract the full zip file, like horibu said. If you double-click on the zip file, you'll see its contents. Then if you double-click on lich.rbw, it will start Lich, but Lich will be running in a temporary folder all by itself. That means the scripts folder will be empty and it will act as you are describing. Windows almost hides the fact that the zip file is actually a zip file and tries to trick you into thinking it's a folder. So even if you have extracted the whole zip file, you may be starting Lich using the zip file instead of the extracted files.
    How do I fix that? Sorry for being so computer illiterate. I did get a new laptop for other reasons and just tried this again. Same thing happened. I followed the video posted above precisely and it all worked other than the "info dump" when logging back into stormfront and it doesn't recommend any of the commands. Says the scripts I'm looking for aren't in the directory.

I'll go see if I can find the full zip file, but I'm not sure where it is. :-/

Nm. I think I just did it.

YAY

Thanks for all your help.

ETA: Crap nope. Worked once. Then back to before. I'll keep at it

EETA: I think I got it again. *fingers crossed*

Heh
    Last edited by Alrisaren; 08-12-2018 at 08:02 PM.

So if I could trouble you fine people one more time?

It is working. And I got the Uberbar and Uberspells. My question . . . I'm having to get them and put them on my Stormfront every time I log in. Back in the day, they were just there. How do I do that?

Also, not a lich question . . . back in the day my friends gave me scripts for stormfront that made life a lot easier. There was one for skinning and looting a corpse. One for bringing water to the guards in Ta'Vaalor to gain exp as a new person. One for getting to Voln, one for getting to CoS . . . All gone with the death of my previous computer. I don't want to write all those and playing is cumbersome. Is there a place to find things like that?

I feel like my questions most be really stupid and basic. But I appreciate whatever help is offered.

I don't understand what you mean put them in stormfront? Do you mean autostart the scripts? You can do that by typing ;favs add <script name> and whenever you start lich it will autostart that script. There is a thread that people talk about and list the scripts they find most helpful, also you can download an entire list of scripts on the repository and you might find what you are looking for. I know there is one to get to level 1, not sure about more than that for new characters. There is for sure one for CoL, and GoS, not sure about Voln though.

Yep. That favorite thing worked. And yeah, my other question is really in the wrong subforum as I didn't mean a lich script. I met the scripts in stormfront that you can create and save and then access using "." I've looked around and have found some things, but a lot of it is scattered about in different places. And that makes sense for a game as old as this one.

I also need to familiarize myself again with how to set defaults. My sheathe. My weapon. I used to know all that stuff. I'll keep digging around.

Also I think I need the free character I've been messing around with to be someone inherently more likeable. Right now I've got a Half-Faendryl blundering around Ta'Vaalor. And well, she doesn't like them either. But I'm thinking, right now figure stuff out. RP someone prickly later. Heh.