Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new wizard looking for advice

Default Brand new wizard looking for advice

Hello All!

I am almost at that point of not being able to adjust my stats. So I think I have them configured pretty well - I may post them a little later when I am able to pull them. I did want to ask a few questions.

1) Spell training path - I trained to 513 and 913 and now doubling in minor elemental - correct path? and do I just stop at 425 and then single in the rest of them until maxed? Any benefits of going one way over another way? Still learning my attack spells.

2) I am almost a master of Guardians of the Sunfist. Really have enjoyed this journey. Although, I am really only using sigil of offense, defense, and concentration. The bane sigils seem too expensive for the period that I am using them at level 18 where mana is still an issue. Are there any other sigils that you recommend that I should be using?

3) I am still learning / struggling with weapons. I have a 5x runestaff that I bought on the cheap. It doesn't have anything special. What direction should I go? Should I spend a couple of million and buy a better runestaff (and if there is one you recommend for someone around 20 that will be viable to say 30) Similar with armor. I am almost complete ranks in leather - would it be more beneficial to buy leather or just keep the generic 4x stuff I currently have?

4) a follow up to 3 a little more - Elemental Blade - I just don't get this one. Should I be casting this on my runestaff? It failed the other day - advice on this?

Thanks all - played a wizard till level 20 over 20 years ago and trying to remember things (and read about them in my spare time)

Post your stats(info start) and skills.

1) Sounds about right. Grab 425 at level 25 and go back into MjE and wizard. I slacked off MjE to keep wizard and MnE at level.

2) My wizard is in Voln so I can't help much here.

3) I'd grab a mana flaring 4x runestaff and not worry for a while. Regarding armor, get some temp or perm crit padded 4x full leathers and be set for a while.

4) You need lore(s) to eblade enchanted weapons.
    Last edited by wetsand; 07-17-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Great wetsand - I am just not sure about e-blade - I have 17 lores in fire and a few in air. Not sure if I am heading the right direction. I will post my stats as soon as I can this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by karnamm View Post
    Great wetsand - I am just not sure about e-blade - I have 17 lores in fire and a few in air. Not sure if I am heading the right direction. I will post my stats as soon as I can this evening.
    I'd suggest getting 20 fire lore ranks. That will allow you to cast Minor Steam(https://gswiki.play.net/Minor_Steam_(1707)). I didn't bother with more lore till my 70's.

For me if you are making it a point to focus on the minor elemental i'd make sure that i didn't stop till at least 430.. Along with Wetsand mentioning the steambolt.. i'd continue with the air because 505 does wonders with putting things on the ground from the first bolt.

At lower levels, I didn't do much of the wizard circle. I made sure that i got 425/430 as fast as i could, and poured the majority of the rest into maintaining them till i got 76... but the main reason I kept major higher was because mana leach is pretty boss so I felt i needed that CS high enough to be reliable and keep me in mana.

I have a different thought on lores, I trained to 25 in air because I wanted a bigger disk, also it adds to encumbrance reduction with 920 if you cast it as air, it aids in presence for when you have bandits and foraging bounties, it also unlocks the bolt version of Hand of Tonis which when young is an excellent setup spell for very little mana, and lastly with 25 ranks you can eblade a 1x weapon so you will have a 5x weapon with flares, but unless you are attuned, they are random. I then stopped training in lores and he is 71 and so far it has not mattered, it is a post cap goal for him.

My bolting wizard is in 6X, non padded fulls, and he seldom gets hit. If you are getting hit much as a pure caster, you are doing something wrong, you should be using macros to cast, so that within a second you go offensive, cast, and go back to guarded or defensive.

As for stats, I set all my alts to cap, with the exception of influence, I lower it to whatever point I need to in order to max out the others.

I would recommend tracking down a copy of Whirlin's wizard guide, it is still hanging around if you do a web search for it. It was invaluable when I was first starting out as a caster, had only player squares until then.
    Last edited by kutter; 07-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks kutter - I do have a macro currently set only for 904.....906 seems like it just is too much mana right now. Maybe I am wrong...

Appreciate the input Roiken - From the insight I could get from Whirlin's guide (the ones I found), it was recommended to go to 425 at least if not 430 and just fill in the other two circles as time goes by. I don't really see any huge benefits of training the entire wizard catalog until I at least get caught up on the major circle.

So what I am reading here, the recommendation would be to go to 430 as cast as I can. Then beef up on Major elemental until my training is somewhat above my current training and just fill in the last few wizards spells.

So do you guys think I am doing the right thing with the lores?

Train fire till 20 and then follow it up with air to 25 or should I change that around? Seems like Air has more value??

I guess it really depends on what kind of wizard you want to be as far as lores go, if you want to be a fire mage, even though they nerfed immolate, then train in fire lore, attune, and spam fire and you will have one scary hunting wizard. My casting wizard is more balanced, he can enchant anything vanilla to 7X, he is working on a 5-6 katana now with some success. But just to put it in context, my UAC wizard, who is down on both wizard and major elemental spheres at 50 trains, can barely do a 5X enchant. So if one of your goals is to be able to enchant, then you need to keep that in mind as it will cost you some in other areas.

My pure wizard does just fine hunting though, he can hunt self spelled with little trouble. Maneuvers are and always will be the bane of pures; and from say 20-30 or maybe 35 trains can be a grind with harder critters and still not having that deep mana pool, get wands, dupe them, make friends.

Even at 71 trains, I still use minor acid a lot because it works on so many things, but you will find that it will get more situational, for trolls, it is always fire since you get multiple rounds from it. You will just have to see what works best on what.

Oh and congrats on Sunfist, I cannot imagine how hard it is for a young wizard, for my paladin, it was death on a stick. And do not worry too much about the spirit/mana requirements for the sigils, it will get better very quickly.

My goal for spells on my caster is balanced, so 101 for all three when done. How I get there, well that will likely change some, just to give you an idea, this is him at

(at level 70), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 20 4
    Physical Fitness...................| 170 70
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 221 121
    Magic Item Use.....................| 229 129
    Spell Aiming.......................| 244 144
    Harness Power......................| 170 70
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 170 70
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 114 28
    Perception.........................| 168 68
    Climbing...........................| 136 38
    Swimming...........................| 96 22

Spell Lists
    Major Elemental....................| 57

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 56

Spell Lists
    Wizard.............................| 70

I am doubling to get caught back up in Minor, when I get it to 75 I will get major up to level and hopefully be set to get all three to 101 not long after cap. Don't remember why I took air at 28, might be a stop point for disk seed table or something.
    Last edited by kutter; 07-17-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karnamm View Post

Train fire till 20 and then follow it up with air to 25 or should I change that around? Seems like Air has more value??
    I would always recommend Fire to 20 first. Minor Steam is just that good. Just remember you have to EVOKE to get the steam version of 903.