Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new wizard looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by karnamm View Post
    I don't understand why your two primary stats - Logic and Aura are so low to start.....Wouldn't this kill my training points?
    Yes, it will. It depends on your dedication to the game and your available play time in my opinion. If you can play a lot and don't mind grinding out the lower levels with poor stats, then placing to maximize stats at level 100 is the way to go.

If you place stats for high training points and to make hunting easier at low levels...like by putting strength low and dexterity super high, then when you finally do reach high levels be prepared to get a fixstat potion (current price 23millionish..or approximately $120). If you can't stomach the fixstat cost, then you will regret placing some of your fast growing stats high when you were low level.
    Last edited by Tenser; 07-19-2019 at 09:58 AM.

I don't understand why your two primary stats - Logic and Aura are so low to start.....Wouldn't this kill my training points?
    Short answer, yes, but, and there is a huge but, long term, you are better off going with this placement because it will benefit you more later. In a nutshell that is how you have to think of it. My wizard was my first pure, and I set his stats for cap and I can honestly say I never felt handicapped by it.

Learning is easy until 20-25 then just because of the way things are structured, ie. your mana pool and crtitters getting tougher, things are a bit more challenging until 35-40. This used to be even worse but now with the Adventurers guild you get more bang for your buck as it were.

I have barely touched the adventures guild. I have mainly been focusing on completing Guardians of the Sunfist. I don't feel like my wizard can really hunt on his own independently, so I have been using my rogue to leg stuff for him. I remember when I played a long time ago that ages 14-20 were the toughest because you just can't kill things with the amount of mana that one has.

I have been using 904 as it seems like it is my most efficient spell to kill something in a reasonable time without killing my mana pool.

I have barely touched the adventures guild. I have mainly been focusing on completing Guardians of the Sunfist. I don't feel like my wizard can really hunt on his own independently, so I have been using my rogue to leg stuff for him. I remember when I played a long time ago that ages 14-20 were the toughest because you just can't kill things with the amount of mana that one has.

I have been using 904 as it seems like it is my most efficient spell to kill something in a reasonable time without killing my mana pool.
    I found wizards to be the most self-sufficient class at early levels when compared to others I've played. Though, I usually have raised wizards as warmages until 25 when you get 425. It's important to know all the tools at your disposal.

#1. Prep 909 - Evoke will give you a self-buff that allows you to stomp/tap (with a runestaff) to knock everything in the room over for 4 mana per stomp/tap. They can often stand up immediately, but that will force most (like 99% of targets) into offensive stance when they stand up. If they don't stand before you cast, then they're losing DS from laying down.
    #2. 20 ranks in Fire Lore gives you access to Steam Bolt. This 4 mana spell will kill things faster than 904 most of the time.
    #3. 516 is a powerful mana tool. It will shine right after you get 425 on any target that appears to cast any kind of spell. Later (40s or so) it will also be beneficial to cast on non-mana users, but still isn't great on animals.

Be sure you get 425 as soon as you are level 25 (I also feel 430 by level 30 is ideal as well).

You shouldn't be able to be hit by anything with your wizard spells (401, 406, 414, 503, 507, 508, 509, 905, 911, 913) active. It's really a strong defense.

GoS is a great society, but it doesn't give the ideal mana tools for a young wizard (since you won't have stamina to use sigil of power until around level 50ish). Voln tends to be a lot easier on a lower level wizard than GoS, as long as undead are part of your primary hunting ground.
    Last edited by Maerit; 07-19-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Mana is going to be an issue for a little while, get wands, gold, metal, crystal, and coral are the ones I prefer for my wizard. Check pawnshops for them. The advantage to the guild is that it is easier to stay fried and learn more since you get the boost of experience. But I totally understand wanting to finish Sunfist, my paladin did not finish until he was late 20's and it get very challenging since he soloed warcamps.

Fire guardians are 15 IIRC and super easy for a wizard, in case you haven't tried those yet.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

I am very close and hunting cyclops with my rogue gets 100 rec points a kill. It is a pain in the ass, but I will have this completed before 20. Sigil of concentration has been helpful. Sigil of Power may be useful in a couple of levels.

Really appreciate the breakdown Maerit. I am really learning some of these things. I will need to learn how evoke works a little better. I thought I was using steam the other day but was not impressed. May have been something I didn't do right. I just started using 909 in a warcamp the other day. It definitely helped.

I have also been keeping up on all of those spells. Glad I am doing things right.

Also been keeping up on my macros which goes a long way. Are there any macro's that you have used that you would be willing to share? Mine basically just go to off, prep, cast, guarded

I have found an individual or two on the help chat who are willing to make either major or minor fire into rods for me which has definitely been useful

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Fire guardians are 15 IIRC and super easy for a wizard, in case you haven't tried those yet.
    Thanks, I am 18 now....and have been legging cyclops with my rogue and hitting the cyclops 3 times.

I am at work now and have been meaning to look up....but do you know how experience is divided amongst 2 characters? I am just wondering if I am wasting mana.

I do use the stormfront scripts feature from time to time on my wizard:

steam script:

put prep 903
    put stance offensive
    put evoke %1
    put stance guarded

Just be careful to ensure you do .steam <target noun>. If you forget to specify a target, you'll bolt yourself (in offensive stance)!!

Lich scripts are better because you can prevent yourself from casting incorrectly.

steam lich script:

Code:
    if script.vars[1]
       multifput "prep 903", "stance offensive", "evoke #{script.vars[1]}", "stance guarded"
    else
       multifput "stance offensive, "incant 903", "stance guarded"
    end
    (assuming you have "incant set 903 evoke")

This way it will only cast at a specified target if you entered one into the command line, or it will just incant if you didn't. You would just save this as like steam.lic to your lich/scripts folder and could activate it by doing ;steam cyclops or ;steam with no target specified. Then you can hotkey that to your keyboard however you like with a macro.

You can also build in a ton of checks to ensure you have enough mana like checkmana(4) to avoid accidentally frying your nerves or things that would prevent you from casting / performing the action, but at the end of the day this is more of a utility macro script than anything automated, so those checks are being done manually by the player and mostly unnecessary.
    Last edited by Maerit; 07-19-2018 at 05:52 PM.

These are my current stats:

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 88 (24) ... 88 (24)
    Constitution (CON): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
    Dexterity (DEX): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
    Agility (AGL): 85 (17) ... 85 (17)
    Discipline (DIS): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
    Aura (AUR): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
    Logic (LOG): 71 (15) ... 71 (15)
    Intuition (INT): 68 (14) ... 68 (14)
    Wisdom (WIS): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
    Influence (INF): 49 (0) ... 49 (0)

These are my starting stats

Strength (STR): 86
    Constitution (CON): 78
    Dexterity (DEX): 62
    Agility (AGI): 82
    Discipline (DIS): 73
    Aura (AUR): 49
    Logic (LOG): 62
    Intuition (INT): 59
    Wisdom (WIS): 70
    Influence (INF): 39

I am just shocked how low aura is......but this is what you guys recommended - thoughts??

current training:

Skills:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 40 8
    Physical Fitness...................| 93 21
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 93 21
    Magic Item Use.....................| 93 21
    Spell Aiming.......................| 142 42
    Harness Power......................| 142 42
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 93 21
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 5 1