Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What outside spells do you consistently wear and how?

Default What outside spells do you consistently wear and how?

Aside from the minor spirit and minor ele, what is reasonably easy for a warrior to get access to to use full time? Are there any readily available store sold items that can be used?

Strength and Thurfel's, if you have access to minor elements a wizard is probably doing the casting. Blurs and Colors help. As you get higher, you'll wear less or no spells.

Don't have a warrior, but generally speaking, the following are fairly easy to get...

101, 103, 104, 105, 107, 112, 202, 204, 207, 401, 406, 414, 503, 509, 511, 611, 911, 1204, 1208, 1601... and those are just what groups like Dreaven+Co cast. On top of that, you can add in 211 from pure potions, 303 can be imbedded in gems by clerics, 120/507/508/905 can all be imbedded by sorcs/wizards... just remember, once you get into higher-level areas, you'll run into spellburst mechanics, which'll limit the amount of spell-mana you'll be able to wear in those areas.
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Strength and Thurfel's, if you have access to minor elements a wizard is probably doing the casting. Blurs and Colors help. As you get higher, you'll wear less or no spells.
    I do not think that last sentence is true. I agree with the statement on elementals, though at higher levels you may be casting them yourself. The bigger challenge though for warriors, particularly at higher levels, is TD, particularly spiritual, (because you face it more than elemental). So picking up the minor elementals becomes more important than the minor elementals.

But aside from the minors, I would think 503, 507, and 508 are easy enough to get, as are some lesser spells like 1402, and 1601, 303, 202, etc.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Oh, I like pure potions! I'm all about being self reliant, things I can go out and consistently buy and use. This is what I currently wear and self cast:

Code:
    [spellactive: Spell list]
    [spellactive:  101: Spirit Warding I]
    [spellactive:  103: Spirit Defense]
    [spellactive:  104: Disease Resistance]
    [spellactive:  105: Poison Resistance]
    [spellactive:  107: Spirit Warding II]
    [spellactive:  112: Water Walking]
    [spellactive:  115: Fasthr's Reward]
    [spellactive:  117: Spirit Strike]
    [spellactive:  120: Lesser Shroud]
    [spellactive:  401: Elemental Defense I]
    [spellactive:  402: Presence]
    [spellactive:  406: Elemental Defense II]
    [spellactive:  414: Elemental Defense III]
    [spellactive:  425: Elemental Targeting]
    [spellactive:  430: Elemental Barrier]
    Now I added 211 from pure potions.

Outside of special circumstances like invasions or the DR arena, none of my characters regularly have spells on them that they can't cast themselves (including my warrior). This is mostly because I tend to hunt in areas that are sparsely populated so finding someone to cast them isn't always possible so a stash of 509/511 items is all I bother keeping on any of my characters. Luckily good tactics and knowledge of what you're hunting more then makes up for a lack of outside spells (though I'll admit that having so many spells you're glowing allows one to hunt faster).

In the case of warriors, I've found that a good offensive will almost always be more beneficial then the benefit outside spells will provide. Their biggest weakness is CS spells and most things that cast those spells have maneuvers as their main weakness. Use a CMAN or Shield maneuver to stun/RT lock/etc them and you don't have to worry about their spells (removing the right hand/arm or a rank 2 or higher head crit works for most casters too). Know how many critters you can safely manage at once, use highlights to keep track of critters that wander in, and step out of the room or go crazy with MSTRIKE/berserk if they're coming in too fast.

If you feel you HAVE to have a bunch of outside spells on you, though, just make sure you have around 30 ranks in MIU and/or Arcane Symbols and go to whatever magic shops are at the various festivals/events that happen though-out the year. Depending on how much you hunt, a couple hundred thousand silvers should get you stocked up with enough trinkets full of whatever spells you want to last til the next festival/event (all of them, both paid and free, have them).

so a stash of 509/511 items
    Is there a reliable source of these items? (besides festivals...)
    Last edited by dex; 07-16-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Pawnshop scrolls/white crystals

Blog Entries

I always have 602, 611, and 618 up on all my characters, plus the 400s, 500s, 100s, and 200s.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Is there a reliable source of these items? (besides festivals...)
    509 is in white crystals commonly found on critters, 511 is in black crystals. You can usually find one or both in your local pawnshop or the login reward for day 2 is a random magical crystal (black, white, or blue).

Other items commonly found on critters that contain defensive magic are: moonstone cube (1705), ruby amulet (140), and small statue (1712)