Page 165 of 273 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2725

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

  1. #1641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    If true, then Ivanka is thinking more strategically than most people involved in this matter.


    Trump should have listened to Ivanka. Now Trump is in a pickle. And McConnell has promised an up or down vote.


    What are the options? The Senate can delay to investigate further, but they would run the risk that the Senate changes hands after the November election. Or Trump can withdraw the nomination. Or Kavanaugh can withdraw, but he just vowed never to do that. Or McConnell can take back his firm promise to hold a vote. Or they can just vote and see what happens.

  2. #1642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Weird how the republican senators have mentioned the bit about "under penalty of felony" multiple times when they have yet to hold Trump Jr accountable for lying to them multiple times.
    I've heard that phrase so many times this week and never heard it before. Is it for the dramatic use of the word felony or does perjury not count in these instances?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Trump should have listened to Ivanka. Now Trump is in a pickle. And McConnell has promised an up or down vote.


    What are the options? The Senate can delay to investigate further, but they would run the risk that the Senate changes hands after the November election. Or Trump can withdraw the nomination. Or Kavanaugh can withdraw, but he just vowed never to do that. Or McConnell can take back his firm promise to hold a vote. Or they can just vote and see what happens.
    It's fucked. They are in a panic to get this guy through before mid-terms because they're afraid of losing the house and senate. They're going to need him there to tip the scales.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Trump should have listened to Ivanka. Now Trump is in a pickle. And McConnell has promised an up or down vote.


    What are the options? The Senate can delay to investigate further, but they would run the risk that the Senate changes hands after the November election. Or Trump can withdraw the nomination. Or Kavanaugh can withdraw, but he just vowed never to do that. Or McConnell can take back his firm promise to hold a vote. Or they can just vote and see what happens.
    Yeah there aren't many good options right now.

    Candidly, if they vote to confirm him- they're going to end up energizing Democratic and Democratic-leaning women right before the midterms while dampening enthusiasm in republican and republican-leaning women.

    If they do an up/down vote, and he doesn't get through- they're going to have a lot of fed of Republican voters who don't bother showing up at the polls.

    At this point in time, if I'm the GOP I'm begging Flake to vote no. That gives McConnell cover to not hold a floor vote, and everyone blames a Senator who doesn't have to worry about an upcoming election.

    He's probably their only good way out of this.

    PS Kavanaugh's testimony keeps careening between moments where he comes off as sympathetic, moments when he seems WAY too partisan and political for this job, and moments where he's meandering so much that it's not super clear what he's even talking about.

  4. Default

    It's purely theatrics.

  5. #1645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    If he didn't fight it he'd be admitting guilt in the eyes of all but the most insanely dedicated supporters, regardless of outcome. Him backing off and going away wouldn't have helped him.
    soywolff knows this. But he also only cares about stalling SCOTUS until after the midterms where he thinks they're gonna take back Congress and impeach Trump and make Hillary president and make Obama the next SCOTUS judge.
    www.twitch.tv/3piecesofbread
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun
    No, actually, Back is not an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.


    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    And feel free to get me banned, not going to stop my lawyer from sending Kranar a subpoena for IP information on a couple of people.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Yeah there aren't many good options right now.

    Candidly, if they vote to confirm him- they're going to end up energizing Democratic and Democratic-leaning women right before the midterms while dampening enthusiasm in republican and republican-leaning women.

    If they do an up/down vote, and he doesn't get through- they're going to have a lot of fed of Republican voters who don't bother showing up at the polls.

    At this point in time, if I'm the GOP I'm begging Flake to vote no. That gives McConnell cover to not hold a floor vote, and everyone blames a Senator who doesn't have to worry about an upcoming election.

    He's probably their only good way out of this.

    PS Kavanaugh's testimony keeps careening between moments where he comes off as sympathetic, moments when he seems WAY too partisan and political for this job, and moments where he's meandering so much that it's not super clear what he's even talking about.
    Can't McConnell bring it to the floor for a vote even if it doesn't pass in committee?

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Can't McConnell bring it to the floor for a vote even if it doesn't pass in committee?
    Oh he totally can. But the risks here are huge. If the committee doesn't give a positive recommendation, that gives McConnell the cover to not move forward with Kavanaugh without it reflecting badly on the GOP. Instead it'll just reflect badly on Jeff Flake.

    I mean let's be clear here- even after all of this, there are still at least two other allegations that need to be dealt with. I just don't think he's going to survive that, and if the GOP refuses to get the FBI involved at this point they're going to get slaughtered in the midterms by women voters.

    Granted, McConnell may be willing to blow everything up and push this forward. But I just have a really hard time seeing him getting through. Murkowski has other reasons to vote no, and Collins isn't likely to be willing to vote yes before everything has been investigated.

  8. #1648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Been criticizing both parties for years now and all of a sudden you've got your panties in a twist because most of my criticism of late has been targeted at Trump.
    By "most" you mean 100%? Right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Distort the truth some more why don't you?
    This coming from the guy who turns a statement of --I have never met Kavanaugh before and have never attended a party where he was present -- to -- ROFL! Saying you don't remember isn't the same thing as accusing someone of lying!!!--

    Please keep posting here for a long time. I need these laughs.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 09-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.

  9. #1649

    Default


  10. #1650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Yeah there aren't many good options right now.

    Candidly, if they vote to confirm him- they're going to end up energizing Democratic and Democratic-leaning women right before the midterms while dampening enthusiasm in republican and republican-leaning women.

    If they do an up/down vote, and he doesn't get through- they're going to have a lot of fed of Republican voters who don't bother showing up at the polls.

    At this point in time, if I'm the GOP I'm begging Flake to vote no. That gives McConnell cover to not hold a floor vote, and everyone blames a Senator who doesn't have to worry about an upcoming election.

    He's probably their only good way out of this.

    PS Kavanaugh's testimony keeps careening between moments where he comes off as sympathetic, moments when he seems WAY too partisan and political for this job, and moments where he's meandering so much that it's not super clear what he's even talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    It's purely theatrics.
    And his appointment is KEY for the GOP agenda. He's a license to do everything they ever wanted. He's a rubber stamp just waiting on cases which, like Hobby Lobby, are probably already prepared and ready to be filed as soon as he gets there. He's the cover trump needs to fire Mueller and flex his muscles knowing that any challenge will be settled by Kavanaugh. You like Gerrymandering? He'll give it to you. You want to kill women's rights? He'll do that. Want to hide big money Donors? Kavanaugh's your man. He will make legal all the sketchy shit that the right wants to push and he's obviously got some real anger issues with the Democrats that he can't control.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •