Page 54 of 291 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Let’s go with your train of thought. She’s a liar, but she’s going to subject herself to the most intense political and legal scrutiny imaginable. She’ll absolutely be discovered and discredited. And then she’s what, a martyr for a two-week delay in a nomination? Sure, that seems plausible...

On the other hand, it’s incredibly likely that a powerful guy with a record of devaluing women grabbed a 15yo girl when he was a drunk 17yo and wrestled her into a bedroom with his buddy.
    Don't forget the stakes here. If Kavanaugh gets appointed, SCOTUS will arguably shift to the right. Roe vs Wade could be overturned (which doesn't end abortion, it brings the issue back to the states, but that's another topic), and even gay marriage could be challenged. I believe some liberals are capable of attempting a fraud to prevent this appointment. I appreciate what time4fun is saying about false sexual assault accusations being rare, but this situation isn't normal.

I believe Anita Hill attempted a fraud in 1991 to stop the Clarence Thomas appointment and failed. Is the current accuser a fraud? I don't know. If she is a fraud, I hope you are correct that she will be discovered and discredited. And if it is determined that she is telling the truth, I hope Kavanaugh's career in the legal system ends immediately and whatever charges that can be brought against him are made.

But IMHO the most likely result is that no definite conclusions will be drawn. Guess we'll see.
    Last edited by Candor; 09-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candor View Post
    Don't forget the stakes here. If Kavanaugh gets appointed, SCOTUS will arguably shift to the right. Roe vs Wade could be overturned (which doesn't end abortion, it brings the issue back to the states, but that's another topic), and even gay marriage could be challenged. I believe some liberals are capable of attempting a fraud to prevent this appointment.

I believe Anita Hill attempted a fraud in 1991 to stop the Clarence Thomas appointment and failed. Is the current accuser a fraud? I don't know. If she is a fraud, I hope you are correct that she will be discovered and discredited. And if it is determined that she is telling the truth, I hope Kavanaugh's career in the legal system ends immediately and whatever charges that can be brought against him are made.

But IMHO the most likely result is that no definite conclusions will be drawn. Guess we'll see.
    Even if it did turn out to be true, which I doubt, what are they gonna charge him with? And how, since he was a minor at the time?
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Even if it did turn out to be true, which I doubt, what are they gonna charge him with? And how, since he was a minor at the time?
    They'll charge him as an adult for being an adult when the charges were brought up.

You really think a mother and wife would put herself, her husband, and her children through all of this just to block a nomination? Even if he voted down or withdraws, it's still more certain than not that another equally conservative judge will be nominated. That's an incredible price to pay for what will almost assuredly yield nothing.

I also have to point out that elements of this story don't lend themselves to your interpretation.

For one, she brought this up long before this confirmation hearing. At least 6 years ago, and she told several people (turns out a few friends were told as well).

Secondly, she wasn't going to come forward with this. The reason Feinstein sat on this information is that the accuser requested it. Someone leaked this letter to the press. That's not the behavior of someone looking to stop a nomination. She's not out doing press tours, she's fled the press, and she only reluctantly agreed to testify Monday.

And finally, if she set out to fake a story- why would she have involved a third person? That's an extremely risky element to add to a story because that person is going to deny it happened- meaning it's the word of two people againt one.

None of this is the behavior of someone who just woke up one day and decided to try to stop a confirmation.

The thing I'll point out is that the kneejerk reaction on the right when these things have happened has always been to blame the accuser. But the track record suggests that they are virtually always telling the truth.

Because no one wants to jump into a meat grinder for fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I think it's going to be pretty much impossible to get a definite answer one way or the other. People will see what they want to see, though.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

You really think a mother and wife would put herself, her husband, and her children through all of this just to block a nomination? Even if he voted down or withdraws, it's still more certain than not that another equally conservative judge will be nominated. That's an incredible price to pay for what will almost assuredly yield nothing.

I also have to point out that elements of this story don't lend themselves to your interpretation.

For one, she brought this up long before this confirmation hearing. At least 6 years ago, and she told several people (turns out a few friends were told as well).

Secondly, she wasn't going to come forward with this. The reason Feinstein sat on this information is that the accuser requested it. Someone leaked this letter to the press. That's not the behavior of someone looking to stop a nomination. She's not out doing press tours, she's fled the press, and she only reluctantly agreed to testify Monday.

And finally, if she set out to fake a story- why would she have involved a third person? That's an extremely risky element to add to a story because that person is going to deny it happened- meaning it's the word of two people againt one.

None of this is the behavior of someone who just woke up one day and decided to try to stop a confirmation.

The thing I'll point out is that the kneejerk reaction on the right when these things have happened has always been to blame the accuser. But the track record suggests that they are virtually always telling the truth.

Because no one wants to jump into a meat grinder for fun.
    The left will stop at nothing because it's mostly comprised of sick assholes like you and soywolff now, so yes, I do believe she'd do it.

And she has plenty to gain from it if she somehow succeeds with this.

The left's plan is to try and stall until after the midterms and hope they take back Congress. It's rather obvious to people who don't sniff their own farts.
    Last edited by Methais; 09-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Not that this will change anything but for what it's worth the central park 5 were 14, 15 and 16 when trump called for their execution. I don't believe he's even apologized for being so wrong yet. What was Kavanaugh...17?

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Not that this will change anything but for what it's worth the central park 5 were 14, 15 and 16 when trump called for their execution. I don't believe he's even apologized for being so wrong yet. What was Kavanaugh...17?
    If he was 17 (I didn't know this) then sure, try him as an adult if found guilty. If and only if he's actually guilty.

Cutting this off at the pass but I don't know if he's guilty or not. Evidence is what matters in these cases.
    Last edited by Astray; 09-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.

9. Default

They should have called in Mark Judge as well for this hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    They should have called in Mark Judge as well for this hearing.
    Probably. Though his testimony isn't likely to be helpful for anyone. He's already denied this ever happened, which isn't great for Dr Ford. But he's also written extensively about his tendency to get black out drunk, his history of similar behavior, and his disdain of women and women's rights. I'm not sure Kavanaugh wants to be associated with any of that right now.