Page 41 of 291 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    This is part of the strategy. They're trying to frame this in CSI D.C. terms but this isn't a court of law, he's not on trial and there's no jury. This IS about judgement though and Kavanaugh isn't the only person in the world for this job. They should exercise some good judgement and get a new candidate.
    Confirmed cwolff thinks all the women who came out in defense of Kavanaugh are liars.

What a sexist.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

This is part of the strategy. They're trying to frame this in CSI D.C. terms but this isn't a court of law, he's not on trial and there's no jury. This IS about judgement though and Kavanaugh isn't the only person in the world for this job. They should exercise some good judgement and get a new candidate.
    So you're okay with someone's career being ruined based on decades old allegations with no supporting evidence at all of said crime ever happening? Just keep cycling through these candidates until the Democrats get one they like whereupon they will make sure any possible accusations never see the light of day or if they do they will downplay them? You really are the biggest piece of shit I have ever had this much interaction with, and that's amazing because I've known some horrible people.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    So you're okay with someone's career being ruined based on decades old allegations with no supporting evidence at all of said crime ever happening? Just keep cycling through these candidates until the Democrats get one they like whereupon they will make sure any possible accusations never see the light of day or if they do they will downplay them? You really are the biggest piece of shit I have ever had this much interaction with, and that's amazing because I've known some horrible people.
    You were okay with this when it was George Takei being accused.

Can't wait to see what happens with Ginsburg's eventual replacement.

WE HAVE TO DELAY THIS NOMINATION BECAUSE WE HAVE UNCOVERED EVIDENCE THAT THE NOMINEE SHITS HIS PANTS! THE FACT THAT HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD WHEN IT HAPPENED DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE DIAPERS HAVE FEELINGS AND ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Last edited by Methais; 09-17-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post

WE HAVE TO DELAY THIS NOMINATION BECAUSE WE HAVE UNCOVERED EVIDENCE THAT THE NOMINEE SHITS HIS PANTS! THE FACT THAT HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD WHEN IT HAPPENED DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE DIAPERS HAVE FEELINGS AND ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!11
    I'm just waiting for a feminist to accuse her own son of sexual harassment because he suckled a bit too hard on her breast during breast feeding. Then of course people like time4fun will defend her and say what a traumatic experience it must have been.

Blog Entries

The idea that someone could be discredited through impossible-to-prove allegations should make you uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Taernath; 09-17-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I'm just waiting for a feminist to accuse her own son of sexual harassment because he suckled a bit too hard on her breast during breast feeding. Then of course people like time4fun will defend her and say what a traumatic experience it must have been.
    "The fact that he was 19 and the room was dark and he thought I was his girlfriend waking him up with a surprise doesn't matter!!!!! Breastfeeding is my right!"
    Last edited by Methais; 09-17-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    The idea that someone could be discredited through impossible-to-prove allegations should make you uncomfortable.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    My point is that this is still 100% he said/she said. She said he did it. He said she didn't. That is it. Unless one of them changes their tune that is all it'll ever be too... Unless there is video evidence or some shit.
    So I agreed with you a few pages ago on that point, I believe. I'm not sure why you want to re-litigate it.

Having said that, since you did- I feel compelled to point out that your oversimplification of the situation is a bit misleading.

There are a few things that lend credibility to her accusations and a few things that question the credibility of his response.

1) She brought the situation up 6 years ago- prior to both of his last two confirmation hearings (The last one was in 2006 I believe?)- in a private setting with a neutral third party professional who can, at least, give an official assessment of how truthful the story felt to him. She had nothing to gain by discussing this issue in therapy, there was certainly no reason to suspect any political motive, and it was in a setting you typically consider to be 100% private- meaning you don't really intend for it to ever get out when you say it. To question her credibility on this, we would have to believe that there were some reason for her to have started some lie about Kavanaugh 6 years ago when there was no apparent point to it.

2) Making this accusation publicly will subject her to an incredible amount of harassment, require her to relive trauma, and could have serious consequences for her economic and physical safety. So she would have to have an incredibly strong reason to do it. Given she's gainfully employed as a Professor and appears to have no history of criminal activity or false accusations (at least that have been brought up)- there is both a lot for her to lose and not a lot of reason to question her credibility.

3) I behooves me to remind you that Kavanaugh has already demonstrated a propensity to give false or (at best) highly misleading testimony under oath in confirmation hearings. In a He Said/She Said- he's actually in the weaker position here. His history with Congressional testimony means that there IS reason to doubt his credibility when he denies the accusations.

4) Kavanaugh has a lot to gain by lying about the situation and a lot to lose by being honest. If we're looking at this purely from the angle of motive- he has obvious motive to lie while she does not. That's not proof of anything, but it does mean that the two testimonies are not necessarily created equally- particularly in the court of public opinion.

I'll also point out that just because it's currently a bit of a he said/she said situation doesn't mean that there isn't any other evidence out there (there were at least two other people who were there at the house, for example). That's the point of an investigation. Your aggressive response to the idea of even allowing some kind of investigation is troubling, to say the least.

And finally, removing this particular situation from the board- you are strongly implying that no woman who has been the victim of sexual assault by a powerful man should come forward unless they've got video evidence (which, spoiler alert- they almost never do). That's extremely dangerous territory and an incredibly damaging message to send to victims (and a very empowering one to send to predators)