Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YouTube Gemstone Lore Videos

1. Default

I'll give you that Dark souls lore is pretty unique. It just doesn't matter at all in the context of the game. That was my only point with that one. Knowing the lore doesn't make the game any more or less enjoyable. If it was part of the story, it would enrich the world. It's not. It's just lore. You read about it in the same way you listen to tapes of somebody else doing cool things in Fallout 76. Story is experience. Lore is trivia. I'm not a fan of lore without story.

I can't watch those videos at the office (well, I can't hear them, anyway), but The Elder Scrolls is just a find/replace job.

Mad King Sheogorath is King Someone-Knows-The-Truth is Zelia is Lyssa.

Replace Dwemer with Atlantis and you're done there.

I'm not sure what the red diamond thing is off the top of my head so I can't draw that parallel.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 02-14-2019 at 12:22 PM.

2. Default

The Dark Souls vid is actually fairly well-made and if you got some understanding of the lore it’s freakin’ hilarious.

It’s true Elder Scrolls lore is fairly old but I think Daggerfall and Morrowind could not have been played without understanding the story and what was happening. You needed some idea of the backstory (which you pieced together as you played) to have an understanding of what to do next. This was mainly because Daggerfall was a fully “open world” CRPG (one of the firsts) and there were no “rails” that would progress the game for you. Especially, Daggerfall, you needed to think since there were no X’s on the map.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Wheel of Time did its own weird ass thing.
    It really didn't. WoT was heavily based on Levantine/eastern mythology and religions, i.e. the cyclical nature of time, 'balance' from Zoroastrianism, etc. Also, Shaitan is literally Satan. It feels new and different because you aren't usually exposed to that stuff as a western audience, but it is still very much rooted in established mythology.

Elder Scrolls messed around with a lot of eastern stuff in Morrowind, too.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It really didn't. WoT was heavily based on Levantine/eastern mythology and religions, i.e. the cyclical nature of time, 'balance' from Zoroastrianism, etc. Also, Shaitan is literally Satan. It feels new and different because you aren't usually exposed to that stuff as a western audience, but it is still very much rooted in established mythology.

Elder Scrolls messed around with a lot of eastern stuff in Morrowind, too.
    I'll take your word for it on WoT. It's been forever since I read it. Eastern mythologies are why I didn't mention Suikoden either. While it breaks the fantasy norm, it's heavily centered in eastern lore.

5. Default

Suikoden I and II were some of the best RPGs on the PSX.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I'll take your word for it on WoT. It's been forever since I read it. Eastern mythologies are why I didn't mention Suikoden either. While it breaks the fantasy norm, it's heavily centered in eastern lore.
    Going back to your original point, I disagree that GS lore is particularly bad, but I do agree that it needs to be better represented in-game. Places like werebears/vereri or the Ice Room in the GY are more enjoyable if you know the backstory. They ought to put interactive inscriptions or journals in those areas that hint at some of the story in-game, maybe requiring a few ranks of scroll use or MIU. Ha, who am I kidding, that's more likely to be some kind of paid festival item.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Koars Light View Post
    The Dark Souls vid is actually fairly well-made and if you got some understanding of the lore it’s freakin’ hilarious.
    He got a few lore bits wrong.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Going back to your original point, I disagree that GS lore is particularly bad, but I do agree that it needs to be better represented in-game. Places like werebears/vereri or the Ice Room in the GY are more enjoyable if you know the backstory. They ought to put interactive inscriptions or journals in those areas that hint at some of the story in-game, maybe requiring a few ranks of scroll use or MIU. Ha, who am I kidding, that's more likely to be some kind of paid festival item.
    No argument. The religion itself is a copy/paste, but the world and areas have potential. They just aren't fleshed out or relevant. They're just kind of there, in the background as lore rather than story, and as I mentioned I'm not a fan of that. I had fun years ago going up by Reavers and discussing with...someone whether or not it was right to kill them on account of they keep to themselves and are just protecting their homes.