Page 246 of 754 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346746 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 7537

Thread: Things that made you Facepalm today (Political Version)

Blog Entries

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...allies-2019-10
    President Donald Trump on Wednesday defended his decision to abandon the Kurds to a Turkish military incursion in Syria by saying they didn't help the US during World War II.

This came amid reports that Turkish ground troops were crossing the border into Syria after air strikes that began earlier in the day.

"They didn't help us in the Second World War; they didn't help us with Normandy," Trump said of the Kurds. He added, "With all of that being said, we like the Kurds."

Ahead of the Trump administration's announcement, Kurdish forces had recently dismantled defensive positions along the Turkey-Syria border under assurances from the US it would not allow a Turkish assault. The SDF described Trump's decision to withdraw troops as a "stab in the back" and made clear it felt betrayed by the US.

Shortly after his reference to WWII on Wednesday, when he was asked by reporters whether he felt the Syria retreat and treatment of the Kurds sent a poor message to other potential US allies, Trump said, "Alliances are very easy." The president said it "won't be" hard for the US to form new partnerships.
    Jesus fucking Christ.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Yeah I was really hoping Turkey wouldn't attack. Hopefully Trump holds good on his Twitter threat that he is going to hold Turkey responsible in someway.

Reading up on this more it almost sounds like Turkey was basically telling the US they were going to invade Syria no matter what, if that's true at that point what do we do? Keep troops there and get into a war with Turkey? Something tells me that wouldn't have gone over well either. I think a big problem is no one in the West seems to want to hold anyone accountable for anything anymore, unless they are long time allies like Saudi Arabia.

But holding China responsible for the shit they do? Nope, Trump only does it in regards to tariffs. No one in Congress or the rest of the West seems to give a shit.
    Hold Russia responsible? Nope. Most of Europe wants that gas and oil from Russia.
    Hold Iran responsible? Nope. The west can't get enough Iran dick to suck.

What happened to the West since, oh I don't know, around 2009?
    Last edited by Tgo01; 10-09-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

What is it with you people? You want us out of Syria, you want us in Syria, which is it?
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    What is it with you people? You want us out of Syria, you want us in Syria, which is it?
    I want a consistent foreign policy that isn't subject to whatever Trump feels like doing that day.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

I want a consistent foreign policy that isn't subject to whatever Trump feels like doing that day.
    Could have fooled me, based on your Democrat leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Could have fooled me, based on your Democrat leaders.
    AOC was among a group of congresspeople who sent Trump a letter a few months ago urging him to withdraw us from Syria. She is now calling Trump's pullout reckless.

Omar was among those who called to withdraw troops, haven't heard what she has to say about this yet. Rand Paul also signed that letter and he's saying he's glad Trump has kept his promise to withdraw US troops. At least he's being consistent.

7. Default

More leftist media drivel. Roughly 50 US service members in support roles were withdrawn from the border region. What exactly was this troupe to do vs an impending Turkish operation? Should we go to war with a fellow UN member state over this, is that what the media is suggesting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furryrat View Post
    More leftist media drivel. Roughly 50 US service members in support roles were withdrawn from the border region. What exactly was this troupe to do vs an impending Turkish operation? Should we go to war with a fellow UN member state over this, is that what the media is suggesting?
    They were afraid to hit US Troops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furryrat View Post
    You must have missed that Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell also say we should be staying.

10. Default

You must have missed that Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell also say we should be staying.
    I did not. I thought it rather polite, actually. A call was made from one leader to another saying hey, we need to secure our border and it might get a bit messy, could you please remove your persons from the conflict zone, and in return we promise to be as neat and clean as possible. It does taste a bit sour, and I agree with that, nothing in the Middle East is as simple as we're on this side, you're on that. Turkey is also warring against Daesh and has abject interest in preventing its resurgence.
    Last edited by Furryrat; 10-09-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo