Page 2 of 754 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that made you Facepalm today (Political Version)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    The title still reads 'racist' so it's not like they're whitewashing anything. Generally if you're writing something and you find yourself using a word too much, you'll change that word to something similar so it reads better.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45052534

Thats the article, they barely use the word racist and almost exclusively from quotes by people.

Changing it to quotes kind of signals that they aren't really racist. Calling them inflammatory further signals that they don't feel they weren't "really" racist (they were incredibly racist). I stand by my thoughts that if white was changed to almost any other race would she still have a job? I doubt it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45052534

Thats the article, they barely use the word racist and almost exclusively from quotes by people.

Changing it to quotes kind of signals that they aren't really racist. Calling them inflammatory further signals that they don't feel they weren't "really" racist (they were incredibly racist). I stand by my thoughts that if white was changed to almost any other race would she still have a job? I doubt it.
    Eh, reading the context I disagree that it was racist. I think the bigger issue is that a tech journalist wasn't aware and/or didn't behave as if Twitter is a public platform.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Eh, reading the context I disagree that it was racist.
    What?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    What?
    The context being that people were saying 'fuck asian people' to her, and she said 'fuck white people' back.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Eh, reading the context I disagree that it was racist. I think the bigger issue is that a tech journalist wasn't aware and/or didn't behave as if Twitter is a public platform.
    I don't buy her "explanation". Maybe if they were @'d to someone. They are just a collection of random racist thoughts that seem to be ok because they are only against white people. I think she is just racist and is trying to backtrack the best she can, obviously she is doing it well though since she has her job.

The context being that people were saying 'fuck asian people' to her, and she said 'fuck white people' back.
    Yeah I could understand that. But one tweet in particular said something about white people burn up in the sun so they are predisposed to living underground like groveling goblins. I don't think the best way to deal with a few people trolling you with racist tweets directed at you is to reply with racist tweets directed at an entire group of people.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    You know what's funny is that it was the upper right tweet about delighting in being cruel to old white men that convinced me this was a big ball of concern trolling. I'm positive I've seen someone say the exact same thing here and nobody takes it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Yeah I could understand that. But one tweet in particular said something about white people burn up in the sun so they are predisposed to living underground like groveling goblins.
    I mean, it's true though, I'm white as fuck and don't tan because of my cursed Irish genes.
    Last edited by Taernath; 08-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.

I mean, it's true though, I'm white as fuck and don't tan because of my cursed Irish genes.
    To the underground with you to live with the mole people!

Blog Entries

You know what's funny is that it was the upper right tweet about delighting in being cruel to old white men that convinced me this was a big ball of concern trolling. I'm positive I've seen someone say the exact same thing here and nobody takes it seriously.
    We are also on text game forum without real names. I could understand the excuse if these were all clumped together time wise, but these are like a year and a half+ of tweets. I'm sure some are trolling but I doubt it all is, and I still think she probably believes them. The whole say something offensive and gauge how its taken and if not taken well just say "just kidding".

I still stand by the fact that if she had said anything like this about black people and tried the just trolling thing, she would be crucified and would never get another reporting job ever. Wouldn't even be a question about it. She would have to move to Europe with their whole right to be forgotten internet laws.
    Last edited by drauz; 08-03-2018 at 09:58 PM.