Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some feedback / thoughts on my Level 19 Rogue before I train in 20

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    The problem with rogues is that TP's tends to be cheap in so many skills so it is very easy to dabble and water things down. My rogue is 71, he is a few ranks over fully doubled in picking skills, fully doubled in OHE and TWC, CMAN, S&H and I think about 1.6 in dodge. He has 4 spells and I only occasionally get a box I cannot handle, this will probably get slightly worse, so I may have to bring picking skills up some. Everything is a compromise, my rogue is primarily a hunter that picks, my friends rogues is primarily a picker that hunts so she is 3 times in picking skills. If you want to focus on hunting then set up skills to hunt and get what you can in picking, but it should be at 2X train in picking skills. I have 10 ranks in arcane symbols and have never missed a bug. I gave up shield to get TWC, and I think I am just over 1X in armor, I can hunt in breastplate but am using hauberk right now because I have some enhancive arm and leg greaves I like.
    Do you ambush with TWC? Does this really beat up your DS? What type of weapons do you use in TWC? My GF is playing a ranger and I am encouraging her to go this way after she gets through the brutal first few levels of hunting rats.

I do want to be a hunter first with picking second. I just don't see enough picking out there to really level up.

I am afraid of becoming a dinosaur and not being able to hunt with a falchion and hiding and ambushing.
    Last edited by karnamm; 06-14-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    The problem with rogues is that TP's tends to be cheap in so many skills so it is very easy to dabble and water things down. Everything is a compromise...
    This is a pretty good way to put it overall. Until you're post-cap, if you try to be the best possible hunter and the best possible smith, you're not gonna be able to do both.

Here's my 3x smith (my main priority) that's still pretty good in combat if you care what that might look like (currently wearing MBP, eventually full plate):

Code:
     Rogue (at level 88), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
      Skill Name                         | Current Current
                                         |   Bonus   Ranks
      Two Weapon Combat..................|       5       1
      Armor Use..........................|     190      90
      Combat Maneuvers...................|     190      90
      Brawling...........................|     280     180
      Ambush.............................|     280     180
      Multi Opponent Combat..............|      50      10
      Physical Fitness...................|     238     138
      Dodging............................|     280     180
      Arcane Symbols.....................|      66      14
      Harness Power......................|      78      17
      Elemental Mana Control.............|     102      24
      Disarming Traps....................|     370     270
      Picking Locks......................|     370     270
      Stalking and Hiding................|     280     180
      Perception.........................|     280     180
      Climbing...........................|     160      60
      Swimming...........................|     160      60

Spell Lists
      Minor Elemental....................|               4

Quote Originally Posted by karnamm View Post
    Do you ambush with TWC? Does this really beat up your DS? What type of weapons do you use in TWC? My GF is playing a ranger and I am encouraging her to go this way after she gets through the brutal first few levels of hunting rats.
    IMHO if you are not going to ambush as a rogue then you should be a warrior, as for rangers, yes, with their spells they make awesome ambushers. I hunt with dual short swords, but if RT is an issue then I would suggest maybe a short sword and dagger or main gauche, the gauche will help slightly in defense for the times you get caught in the open, but only a little. The phantom weighting and two weapons make a stun a lot more likely from ambushing. I do not hunt undead since they do not tend to stun much, he is in CoL but I am thinking about shifting him to GoS now that he is older and has enough stamina but to be honest the slight additional weighting from GoS is probably not as big of a deal as the additional AS from CoL.

Velfi showed you a great picker, here is my hunter for comparison:

(at level 71), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Two Weapon Combat..................| 246 146
    Armor Use..........................| 205 105
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 221 121
    Edged Weapons......................| 249 149
    Ambush.............................| 235 135
    Physical Fitness...................| 171 71
    Dodging............................| 237 137
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
    Harness Power......................| 25 5
    Disarming Traps....................| 248 148
    Picking Locks......................| 251 151
    Stalking and Hiding................| 248 148
    Perception.........................| 212 112
    Climbing...........................| 144 44
    Swimming...........................| 93 21

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 4

I had a little more dodge than I thought and am just under double on ambush and CM, the other wonky numbers are caused by enchancives I think. It has been a while since I looked at him, been focusing on lock mastery and not hunting as much, might need to tweak some things it seems.

Blog Entries

Man, there's good stuff in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Nothing against Velfi's rogue, as his looks sweet, but I really like your training kutter. It looks like at some point you cut out double in ambush, combat maneuvers, and dogging to get your spells.

I never would have even thought about ditching the shield and going with two weapon combat.

Man you guys have some really interesting builds. I will have my stats up by 5 today. Will make a choice on my path this evening.

Nothing against Velfi's rogue, as his looks sweet, but I really like your training kutter. It looks like at some point you cut out double in ambush, combat maneuvers, and dogging to get your spells.

I never would have even thought about ditching the shield and going with two weapon combat.

Man you guys have some really interesting builds. I will have my stats up by 5 today. Will make a choice on my path this evening.
    I overtrained a lot in armor so that cost me a bunch of points there, but I have since stopped training in it and will just let it catch up while I get caught up in other things. I did not like the maneuver penalties from breastplate as a dual weapon ambusher, it might be my imagination but it just seems better in hauberk and hope you do not get caught out too much. I have to selectively hunt, the worst case scenario for me is spring from hiding, get a good hit and another critter walks into the room, then things get REALLY exciting. Breastplate would be awesome then. It is really hard to have a bad rogue, it is just in what you want to do.

No worries man, there are lots of ways to build your character, it just depends on what's important to you personally. The key (to me) is to optimize your character for how you want to play it. kutter's rogue looks like it would be a lot of fun to hunt with using TWC, I agree.

3x pickers/disarm, 2x perception, 2x hide, 2x ranged.

You may not like ranged past level 80 but its doable to max picking and hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by rolfard View Post
    3x pickers/disarm, 2x perception, 2x hide, 2x ranged.

You may not like ranged past level 80 but its doable to max picking and hunting.
    You still want ambush for the aimed shots though, right?

Ranged+hiding does have the advantage of not really needing cmans. Maybe just smastery.
    Last edited by Velfi; 06-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.