Thread: Duskruin Viable - Archer Mage

Question Duskruin Viable - Archer Mage

I haven't had a chance to try out Duskruin yet, but I was thinking about trying my Wizard out in there. I've got some fairly unremarkable armor ( maybe 6x fulls? ) and an 8x unlocked wand bow. No enhancives to speak of.

Current training and stats:

(at level 53), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 20 4
    Ranged Weapons.....................| 155 55
    Physical Fitness...................| 154 54
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 154 54
    Magic Item Use.....................| 154 54
    Spell Aiming.......................| 210 110
    Harness Power......................| 153 53
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 154 54
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 167 67
    Elemental Lore - Water.............| 5 1
    Perception.........................| 208 108
    Climbing...........................| 120 30
    Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
    Major Elemental....................| 50

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 31

Spell Lists
    Wizard.............................| 20

Race: Dark Elf Profession: Wizard (shown as: Magus)
    Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 74 (12) ... 74 (12)
    Constitution (CON): 72 (6) ... 72 (6)
    Dexterity (DEX): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
    Agility (AGI): 90 (25) ... 90 (25)
    Discipline (DIS): 92 (11) ... 92 (11)
    Aura (AUR): 98 (34) ... 98 (34)
    Logic (LOG): 92 (21) ... 92 (21)
    Intuition (INT): 76 (18) ... 76 (18)
    Wisdom (WIS): 74 (17) ... 74 (17)
    Influence (INF): 68 (4) ... 68 (4)
    Mana: 170 Silver: 0

Also believe I have a fixskill available if anyone knows of a tweak I might need.

This spec can probably work if your bow RT is 1 second. Each monster you fight has different strengths, so you will run into monsters occasionally with high DS bonus' that will making killing them with arrows tough. In the case of high DS opponents normally I would suggest boil earth, but with 50 ranks in MjE maybe rapid fire 502 will work better. You might have to experiment and see what works against those high DS monsters. Most will be easy kills by keeping celerity up and using 909 STOMP to knock them down before you pepper them to death with arrows.

Archer is harder to do than in the arena due to the nature of some of the creatures. A few of them are pretty tough kills for archer, and will be basically "plinking" them to death (golems and some of the champions). But, you can manage it I suspect. Dealing with arrows is a PITA in the arena though. That might be the biggest slow-down. You will probably spend a lot of time running to buy new arrows to eblade because gathering them and getting that one that is "out of range" can slow you down.

I wouldn't try 917 with your wizard ranks so low. You'll just burn mana for little effect. Many of the creatures are immune to the 909 knockdown (champions, golems, and a handful of others I can't remember off the top of my head). However, they are not normally immune to 410, and after you knock them over with 410 you can use 909 stomp to inflict the EBP reduction.

Honestly, for DR UAC seems to be pretty reliable and easier to manage. DS won't be a problem. You can hit just about everything. You don't need to go crazy on lores, giving you a lot more TPs to spend on other useful skills (seems like you're near 2x in e-lores, which is pretty huge TP investment for pre-cap). You'd need to fixskill if you want to try rapid fire 502 also because you don't have high enough CS with the current training.

Also, your stats don't seem set for cap, and that could hinder your ability to do anything but archery or bolting.
    Last edited by Maerit; 06-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.

I had to get air to that level to get to 1s bow shots, IIRC. That haste rework was pretty fucking stupid.

I do have the wand bow, though. Even with things people have trouble with because of physical DS, I find myself able to kill them fairly quickly because of the "flares every shot" capabilities of the bow. Also a bonus that I don't have to deal with Eblading the arrows. That helpful at all in the Arena? Or are elemental resistances prevalent?
    Last edited by Fiend394; 06-07-2018 at 11:21 AM.

The air lore reason was why I stuck with UAC for so long. Exactly 23 ranks in Air Lore (with 35 in MjE for Haste) is sufficient to get 1s RT on all UAC attacks, including Aimed attacks. It is hard to justify going more than 1x in E-Lore pre-cap because it tends to hinder some other crucial training (i.e. spell ranks).

Keep in mind you can buy a single entry for 100 SC and just see how it goes.
    [LNet]-GSIV:Glaves: "Dergoatean is swedish for Stillfront"