12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 50.00%
  • No

3 25.00%
  • Yes, with tacos

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Paul Manafort going to prison?

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Making a deal where Manafort becomes a cooperating witness is the only plausible reason. If Trump were to pardon him that would just open him up to more legal troubles as there would be state charges (which can't be pardoned) plus Mueller would be able to grill Manafort whom wouldn't be able to plead the 5th. Refusing to answer would mean prison.
    He may be counting on a pardon as Trump leaves office. Though suddenly facing actual jail time could make him rethink the risks.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    He may be counting on a pardon as Trump leaves office. Though suddenly facing actual jail time could make him rethink the risks.
    The question Manafort needs to ask himself is can he trust Trump? I certainly wouldn't, especially considering how Trump basically threw Manafort under the bus last week.

The question Manafort needs to ask himself is can he trust Trump? I certainly wouldn't, especially considering how Trump basically threw Manafort under the bus last week.
    Once you're pardoned there are no 5th amendment issues against self incrimination. If that happens Manafort can be compelled as a witness right? If he lies then he'll face renewed charges

Originally I was skeptical as well, but realistically if Manafort is sitting on as many secrets as everyone suspects- him talking will be as dangerous after Trump leaves office as it is during the investigation.

If Trump pardoned him now- there's a solid case of corrupt intent that could convince the Courts to invalidate it. If Trump pardons him after the investigation is over, it's going to be a LOT harder to get the Courts to intervene. Manafort's strategy has been to stall the Courts for 2.5 years, IMO.

That strategy probably just fell apart. I'm skeptical that Manafort is going to be able to hold himself together in prison- he knows Mueller offers extremely generous plea bargains.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Once you're pardoned there are no 5th amendment issues against self incrimination. If that happens Manafort can be compelled as a witness right? If he lies then he'll face renewed charges
    Right, because a pardon means you assume guilty which means you can't plead the 5th any more. He could still refuse to cooperate but Mueller would then just toss his ass in prison until he started to cooperate. A pardon would only make things worse for Manafort and would cause serious political damage to Trump.

Right, because a pardon means you assume guilty which means you can't plead the 5th any more. He could still refuse to cooperate but Mueller would then just toss his ass in prison until he started to cooperate. A pardon would only make things worse for Manafort and would cause serious political damage to Trump.

The one thing we're not considering, though, is a commutation. If Manafort holds out long enough, Trump can just commute his sentence on his way out the door.

Manafort could still plead the 5th on any new crimes- even if related to the old. It's been a looong time since I took con law, but I am pretty sure commuted sentences aren't an admission of guilt.

7. Default

Lock him up!
    Lock him up!
    Lock him up!

BREAKING: Judge has ordered Paul Manafort jailed pending trial. He was just stepped back into custody, gave a brief wave to his wife before going back into another room out of site. Judge denied request to stay pending appeal.
    Last edited by Androidpk; 06-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Lock him up!
    Lock him up!
    Lock him up!

And feel free to get me banned, not going to stop my lawyer from sending Kranar a subpoena for IP information on a couple of people.
    How's that coming along?
    Last edited by Methais; 06-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Some Rogue View Post
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible