Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crit Padding Sweet Spot

1. Default Crit Padding Sweet Spot

I know Iíve been asking a lot about mechanics questions however Iím starting a project and I want to see if itís worthwhile. So, with that being said the question is,

For someone wearing full plate, has perhaps a modicum of redux (.20?), and will never get hit for over 200 endroll at what point does crit padding become redundant?

Follow up, does Damage Padding have the same problems or since itís a flat discount off the final damage (aka scales 1:1) that itís more the better?

That is to say is crit padding on full plate armor really worse than damage padding? Think about it, for someone whoís going to be in full plate you can reasonably assume the character is a square (possibly a Paladin) higher level (probably 60+) and has a decent amount of DFREDUX.

Thoughts on the matter and unsubstantiated opinions will be welcomed, thank you.

Are all the SmR and maneuver attacks mitigated by DFRedux? If not, that's where crit padding is most valuable.

Go away macgyver

4. Default

This Macgyver meme is tired. I get it, but is everyone who asks a question Macgyver? Speaking of tired, so is Wrathbringer. You even play bro?
    Last edited by Geijon; 05-15-2018 at 12:45 PM.

5. Default

Level 52 is about the entry for plate armor. At those levels you probably have 30-35% redux. Bandits and anything above your level, say troll kings can generate enough AS to hit probably tier 6 wounds so critical padding is beneficial.

Only giants die to blood loss and that is where damage padding is handy, but the consensus is always go crit padding.

-Geijon

6. Default

go away macguyver

Hey Wrathbringer. 3:30-4:18 Ho

I think the answer is actually that maneuvers bypass DFRedux (or many do at least), which results in crit padding being more effective against the primary threat to... everyone. I don't think that was always true, which is why a decade ago damage padding was the pinnacle for plate armor, but these days with the change to maneuvers and how they function, crit padding remains king.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Geijon View Post

Hey Wrathbringer. 3:30-4:18 Ho
    Sorry, I don't listen to black jungle boogie.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    Sorry, I don't listen to black jungle boogie.
    Racist rubbish, if you can’t be civil please leave this forum.

10. Default

The first 6 points of crit padding are the most valuable because those 6 points always get used.

Also, since crit padding is sometimes halved related to armor accessories, sometimes the first 12 points of crit padding are needed to get those 6 points of crit padding.

So you might want to consider taking the armor to 6 or 12 points of crit padding, before you consider doing damage padding. As others said, redux is irrelevant for SMR and CMR attacks, so crit padding and resistance are going to be your only protection from those.
    I might not want to buy your item if you don't use lich to arrange delivery, unless we make special arrangements. PM me if I bid on your item and you don't use lich to see if we are going to have issues with delivery because I don't want to use ICQ, AOL instant messager, smoke signals, etc. to get in touch.