Thread: Crit v. Damage padding

1. Default Crit v. Damage padding

As a sorcerer who hunts in guarded all the time, which is more beneficial, crit or damage padding? I've never had either and am using the smithy for the first time.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Crit padding is generally best for the squishier profession. They don't get hit very often, but when they do, they don't have the tools to mitigate the damage. Damage padding is ideal for classes that take a lot of glancing blows in heavier armor (which usually happens when stance dancing).

Quote Originally Posted by Zarston View Post
    Crit padding is generally best for the squishier profession. They don't get hit very often, but when they do, they don't have the tools to mitigate the damage. Damage padding is ideal for classes that take a lot of glancing blows in heavier armor (which usually happens when stance dancing).
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Just to add into what the other two have said. It's typically very cheap to get a warrior to add a resist, or a ranger to add a particular type of resist to whatever armor you are wearing. So you can essentially double up on your padding should you get caught by an unfortunate cman or spell... Damage padding ain't gonna care.. cause you are dead.

A sorcerer can actually get away with using TEMP crit padded armor (much cheaper than perm) and it can last for years. You can also get Ranger resists added for the damage types you experience most often. Many go with Nature due to spike thorn, but Fire is just as valuable for mitigating Earthen Fury. Crush fittings from a warrior will help with the most common types of damage, but I prefer piercing fittings from a warrior. They help mitigate a number of very deadly maneuvers.

Examples of maneuvers you might need to mitigate:

Crush: Shield Bash, Bear Hug(??), Earthen Fury (certain cycles do crush damage) - these are the ones that can kill you
    Piercing: Charge & Spike Thorn
    Slash: Throat Slash (wont kill you, but you can't cast if it succeeds, and that can kill you)

Basically, as a sorcerer, you can do everything temporary if you want. Temp padding, temp fittings, temp resistance, and they will last a long time. Also, you can use armor accessories with different resistances. I.E. Nature Resist on your leg greaves for Spike Thorn (usually hits your legs first if you're not already laying down) and then Fire Resistance on your armor for Earthen Fury. Then you can put Slash Fittings on a greathelm that also has temporary crit padding (this will make you have 2% hindrance because you will be wearing double leather protection) for Throat Slash protection, and Pierce/Crush fittings on your leathers for any other general use protection.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.

"...Earthen Fury (certain cycles do crush damage) - these are the ones that can kill you"

I think you mean "impact" Can't get that from a warrior
    Last edited by gilchristr; 05-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

I'm not entirely sure what's most prevalent as far as damage types. But I trained my warrior in Puncture resists for Charge type attacks.. When my sorcerer does get hit it seems to show that the fittings are lessening the blow on quite a few attacks. FWIW