Thread: Rune Tattoo - Useful Spells?

Default Rune Tattoo - Useful Spells?

So I'm looking through the list of spells, and as a Sorcerer main trying to justify a permanent "scroll" where the spell is hard to come by on normal scrolls, but also useful in general instead of being useful to a specific playstyle.

That means mostly useful spells are in the self-cast only category. While spells like 618 make it convenient to get the spell, any ranger can cast that once they learn the spell on anyone else, so not quite as handy or rare in general.

My list so far seems to be:

1. 1611 - not normally on scrolls (CMAN boost, useful for both defense and offense)
    2. 1613 - not normally on scrolls (bonus to DS for your entire party)
    3. 712 - can't be imbedded (significant bonus to DS and TD) -- though this is one of the easiest defensive spells found on scrolls for a sorcerer to keep infused!
    4. 613 - hard to find on scrolls (bonus to DS and spiritual TD)
    5. 913 - hard to find on scrolls, can't be imbedded (bonus to DS and elemental TD)
    6. 606 - uncommon on scrolls, self-cast only strength boost (AS bonus and increases carrying capacity)
    7. 1606 - not normally on scrolls (bonus to AS and fear resistance)

For playstyle specific useful spells I found:

1214 & 1209 would be handy for any UAC user that isn't a monk
    1609 would be awesome for shield users that aren't paladins
    314 might be nice for people who carry lots of silvers

What other spells are worth considering for a permanent rune tattoo with limited uses per day?
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-07-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutish View Post
    1609 on a shield focused warrior would effectively make him invincible. I don’t think they will allow that spell.
    They already did. They posted the list of approved spells and 1609 is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutish View Post
    1609 on a shield focused warrior would effectively make him invincible. I don’t think they will allow that spell.
    They've been known to make occasional errors, so it's possible they'll pull the spell - but for now it's listed. I'd say that is possibly the strongest potential boost of all the options, but for a niche group of players.

Brace would be a bunch of fun too giving anyone with UAC the ability to not only parry with their bare hands, but also to disarm (at least) 25% of the time when their arms are hit or they parry an attack. But, again, niche market.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-07-2018 at 03:48 PM.

I think you mostly have it right for the highlights available. For non-sorcerers, 712 is another option since like 913 it is not imbeddable. 313 is another spell of roughly equal power to those on your list, but is slightly more available since clerics can imbed it with 325.

I personally would prioritize 613 lower because it is pretty commonly available on scrolls and seems to be one of the most common x/day spells in circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McGoohan
    I am not a number, I am a free man!

As a sorcerer, I'd probably go for 1611 right now consider that I get killed by Charge/Disarm and Feint/Throat Slash messes me up. Not having had the ability to start training on CMANs yet, having some additional CMAN defense would be ideal. That goes for my warmage also. It adds the defense, plus some offense at the same time. Neither of my primary characters struggle in the DS department. It's defense against SMR and CMAN attacks that are most needed.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-07-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Dauntless was offered at Ebons and if you haven't got that yet shame on you. 606 is only for melee so wtf why is that on the table, 913 you are a sorcerer man you should have plenty of elemental defense.. out of that list the only one i'd consider is 613... just cause why not

Quote Originally Posted by Roiken View Post
    Dauntless was offered at Ebons and if you haven't got that yet shame on you. 606 is only for melee so wtf why is that on the table, 913 you are a sorcerer man you should have plenty of elemental defense.. out of that list the only one i'd consider is 613... just cause why not
    I have dauntless in my heart thingy, but have honestly never had to use it for any reason. The list isn't just for sorcerers, mind you. The list is specifically from a sorcerer's perspective having spent many hours on scroll infusion. 913 is an annoying spell to find and infuse for your average sorcerer, so while it's on scrolls, it's not easy to find. 712 is actually a better option than 913 for a non-sorcerer, but it's much easier to infuse by less skilled sorcerers, and was offered at EG as well!

606 is definitely NOT just for melee. Encumbrance is real and can kill you just as easily as having 20 less DS, and 606 helps dramatically in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
    Definitely, dude. You can also try training in the CMAN you are most weak at, I found I get a 10% with each rank of cman training. Definitely go for 1611.
    As soon as I finish spell ranks, I'll start CMAN training. 5 disarm, 5 cunning defense. If I had 1611, nervestaff flares, and 1705 running I'd have great defense against CMAN attacks. Once I finish demon lore, with 704 active it'll be solid defense against SMR.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.

bump for thought
    Last edited by Roiken; 05-07-2018 at 06:33 PM.

If you win an x/per day magic item, instead of a rune tattoo, would you still choose the same spell? There will be 5 x/per magic items but only 3 rune tattoos.
    FWI room 2
    Warped Wooden Hut
    Lich ID 3870

Quote Originally Posted by Roiken View Post
    606 is basically perm -1 RT for archers who are not rangers
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McGoohan
    I am not a number, I am a free man!