Quote Originally Posted by fireorlime View Post
I’d read / heard that spell aim wasn’t really worth it at early levels. I’m only 21. Can someone weigh in?
I trained a cleric with zero spell aim and didn't miss it from 0-25, but I didn't care about hunting undead much either. If you look at the number of critters in the game, there are probably only 20% of them in the undead category (if that), which makes Bane have more value overall. However, if you want to make a character that is designed around the concept of releasing undead for RP you should definitely get Smite. At the same time, over-training in your Cleric spell circle and bypassing spell aiming will make your 302 hit more frequently and for more damage.

The main problem clerics face is being boring. You can still use Bane on undead and Smite on living - they just don't deal as much damage. Bane is still more advantageous from a purely mechanical perspective due to there being more living hunting options. My warmage went from 0-67 without ever hunting undead until very recently when I decided to switch from GoS to Voln. Never a problem finding something to slay!

There are also areas in the game with very little undead and it makes it very easy to get bounties for living if you go that route (i.e. you won't get an undead bounty on Teras until your late 40s).