Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What now?

If you use Scroll Infusion, Magic Item Use and Arcane Symbols are the skills you want to increase past 1x. Both Mana Controls are of secondary importance to Infusion, as they help reduce the cost per spell charge.

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    I'm also wondering the effects of elemental lore on 719. I'm assuming there are better ways I can spend my points at the moment, but is it worthwhile down the line?
    Worthwhile is in the eye of the beholder. IIRC, if you are so inclined 12/12/12/12 is a decent breakpoint. Training beyond that is less worthwhile. Virilneus had a chart years ago(still on his website maybe?) showing the diminishing returns kicking in pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nindon View Post
    Good question. I don't have a good answer. It may be antiquated advice. Looking at the wiki article on MoC, I don't see any compelling reason to make it a training priority. Personally, I have 10 ranks of MoC, and I've never regretted training in it, mainly because I've never given it much thought.
    Yeah, I can't really see any reason to get 3 ranks of MoC on my sorc, but your post did inspire me to get a few ranks on my empath, since I actually use 111 fairly frequently in troll camps and the extra splash damage helps. I could see the logic in getting 10 ranks of MoC eventually for the FoF offset, but I reckon I can put that off for quite a while.

I think I'm probably gonna try to bring demonology up to 1x (or 97 ranks I guess, since I like the extra necro energy boost from 105 necro ranks) and maybe throw in some AS/MIU ranks as I go. Perhaps I'll get a few CM ranks too while I'm at it.

Don't know what it is about sorcs, but I feel pretty meh about the possibilities of post-cap training. With my empath I feel like it's gonna take like 40m exp to be satisfied, but for whatever reason I feel like all the exp in the world won't make a huge difference with my sorc.

The MOC helps the splash from 713... I use 713 a lot in reim and in bandits to make sure that I get a splash on each of the critters before the rest of the group kills it quickly.

Surely not before CM but I did find that going ahead and doing 303 in HP does help for things like duskruin, a long grind for a very small change... But the little extra mana comes in handy other times too.
    Last edited by Roiken; 04-30-2018 at 02:28 PM.

4. Default

[QUOTE=Avaia;2020734 if you are so inclined 12/12/12/12 is a decent breakpoint. Training beyond that is less worthwhile. Virilneus had a chart years ago(still on his website maybe?) showing the diminishing returns kicking in pretty fast.[/QUOTE]

This may have been good advice the 90's but not anymore. When they re-did the lores I would say it is now 50/50/50/50. See the lore chart in wiki

Asking "What Now?" is pretty much a silly question only because you really did not provide enough information. Like your hunting style, society (if any), race or even what armor you use would be somewhat helpful.

At capped is when the fun really begins. At that time, the only thing you should die from is from crits or maneuvers. So, I personally trained to offset the two main weaknesses that I believe sorcerers have. And having this in mind it is the reason why I trained this way and for my advice.

The first thing I would do is buy the best crit weighted armor you can afford. Like some 4x temporary exceptionally crit padded or better. I used mine (it was masterfully if I remember correctly) for years. And when I dumped it, it still sang to the same number of charges as when I bought it.

Second, If you have a fixskill available use it. Go back to 2x spells and zero out your spell aim. My lowly low 500's CS was sufficient enough to kill any critter. Add a few more points from enhancives and you will be fine.

Here is how prioritized my training

1) 1x shield (for when you get disarmed)
    2) 1x brawling (for when you get disarmed) and yes shield/runestaff is the way to go. I like the added enhancive slots.
    3) 25 trains in MOC. It helps you out when in a room with multiple critters
    4) 1x CM Why because we are susceptible do dying from not having them
    5) 1x Dodge Why, I really do not remember. Maybe because at the time it helped in certain maneuvers. I liked the way it also added to DS, Evade and SMRv2
    6) Then training in what you feel like. Lores for 719, If you use scrolls and such 2x MIU and AS. 2x Sorcerer Lores as you see fit. 2x mana control in both elemental and spiritual. I think I have 12 mana spellups a day. Also, I believe I average about 8 mana returned for 719

I did not get to 3x spells until around 20m exp (if I recall correctly and it may have been later)
    I did not start getting spell aim until around 25m exp (once again if I recall correctly and it may have been closer to 30m exp). Sorcerers have so many offensive spells that implode was just not a spell I needed.
    I still have not maxxed out HP (although I am close) because I am CoL and mana is never a problem. Besides that there was to many other things I wanted to train in that I thought were cooler.

Some of this information may also be outdated. But it is my 2 cents.

Good luck

My dad always told me not to argue with fools or drunks. And I don't smell alcohol on your breath.

After cap: I trained up to 3x spells, 1x combat maneuvers (Disarm Weapon 4, Cunning Defense 5, Feint 2), and 2x perception. This took me to double cap, provided the maximum CS milestone I wanted, and enough defense from combat maneuvers and SMRs to keep me alive. The combat maneuver defense is particularly important for me since I like to hunt Nelemar and creatures use disarm weapon in there. This model prioritizes physical skills to compensate for sorcerer weaknesses in the field.

Alternatively, you could 3x spells and start working on magical skills for maximum benefit to ensorcell, scroll infusion and more. This approach is probably more fun than mine and would give you the chance to jump around from skill to skill in search of different milestones. Maybe you like to use Pain (711) a lot and want to make sure you have 1x necromancy lore first. Then you might jump over to Arcane Symbols and Magic Item Use. As for sorcerer weaknesses in the field, you could mitigate them by wearing a ton of defensive spells.

MoC training and non-sorcerous lores have a variety of benefits, but I haven't picked any up yet. Training up dodge is a brutal slog: a long-term goal. Most importantly, you should pick the training model that sounds like fun to you. After hitting the double cap goals listed above, I made some training choices that have more to do with the RP vision for my character than cost-benefit math.

Quote Originally Posted by Dora View Post
    I thought every class had 300 ranks to distribute on lores?
    Sorcerers can go 2x in elemental, spiritual and sorcerous lore. So that gives you 202 sorcerous lore ranks to spread out between demonology and necromancy. And 202 elemental lore ranks to divide among fire, earth, air and water. But not heart, because Ma-Ti has forever sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcthundar View Post
    The first thing I would do is buy the best crit weighted armor you can afford. Like some 4x temporary exceptionally crit padded or better. I used mine (it was masterfully if I remember correctly) for years. And when I dumped it, it still sang to the same number of charges as when I bought it.
    The temporary padding is excellent advice. You should be able to find some that is relatively cheap. I had never really considered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvean View Post
    I trained up to 3x spells, 1x combat maneuvers (Disarm Weapon 4, Cunning Defense 5, Feint 2), and 2x perception.
    What was your thinking on Feint, instead of a 5th rank of Disarm?
    FWI room 2
    Warped Wooden Hut
    Lich ID 3870

Quote Originally Posted by nindon View Post
    What was your thinking on Feint, instead of a 5th rank of Disarm?
    Glad you said something! I don't think I realized I had the points to afford a 5th rank of Disarm until just now. This is likely because I let my CM ranks sit at 90 for a long time before taking them to 101. I'll probably switch over to 5x disarm weapon. That said, feint has occasionally screwed me when I'm already rt locked from charge.

you can technically stop at 100 and still have the points to get that fifth rank of disarm. Although it bugged me so I'm sitting with one point in my cmans right now cause i wanted 101. As far as the shield advice and most of Darcthunar's post I don't agree with nor think is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcthundar View Post
    Second, If you have a fixskill available use it. Go back to 2x spells and zero out your spell aim. My lowly low 500's CS was sufficient enough to kill any critter. Add a few more points from enhancives and you will be fine.

You're insane.

You're suggesting that I gimp of my magical abilities, thereby allowing creatures to live longer and attack me more, and then compensate for that by training in a bunch of expensive physical skills.

Or...I could just continue casting 709 at anything that might attempt to hit me with maneuvers and then implode at my leisure. And because I've maxed out my sorc ranks, 709 will take down damn near anything.