Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: What's New In Your Garden This Year?

  1. #1

    Default What's New In Your Garden This Year?

    It's garden season! What have you added to your garden this year? If nothing, what was already in it?

    Our passionflowers experiment last year worked- they both survived the winter- so we picked up two more. I love these so much- I wish the flowers lasted longer than a day!

    We're trying artichoke (I don't know why- we'll probably end up with exactly one, which we wont' eat because I'll forget to pick it and then decide it's too pretty to pick anyway)

    Some replacement tomato and basil plants

    A new kind of fuschia I found at a nursery with black flowers (and apparently a misleading name)

    And I finally decided to do roses- which I will do my best not to turn into aphid food. And some hollycock and columbines. And some other flowering plant that I honestly couldn't recognize in a lineup, but we thought the pictures looked pretty at the time.

    And then finally a new giant kind of pitcher plant for the carniverous plant garden.


    My backyard is the most motley assortment of plants, but it's fun.



    What is everyone else growing this season?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    24,198
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    We keep getting random freezes.

    I have onions, tomatoes, carrots, watermelon, pumpkin, cucumbers.

    And a bunch of random flowering plants that provide no nutritional value to me, but distract birds and other insects away from my regular plants.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  3. #3

    Default

    I've never been able to keep cucumbers alive for some reason.

    For the onions- do they self-seed or anything? Or do you have to keep going back every year and buying more like tomatoes? I've always wondered.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    24,198
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    I've never been able to keep cucumbers alive for some reason.

    For the onions- do they self-seed or anything? Or do you have to keep going back every year and buying more like tomatoes? I've always wondered.
    I put them in for the first time this year, so I have no idea. I've only ever bought seeds for carrots once and they are back again.

    Cucumbers, I have a little fence thing for them to grow up. I usually pickle them later. The grow great here, so maybe they don't like your climate?
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  5. #5

    Default

    Carrots come back?!?

    My entire world just collapsed.

    Why did I get a stupid artichoke plant? I should have bought carrots.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    24,198
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    Carrots come back?!?

    My entire world just collapsed.

    Why did I get a stupid artichoke plant? I should have bought carrots.
    I got carrots because I have guinea pigs. I got regular carrots too, because I don't bow to the House of Oranje, mine come in all the colors.

    It was weird when I got my first carrot and I forgot I got mixed colors... The thing was purple and I was confused.
    Last edited by Gelston; 04-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  7. #7

    Default

    I'd like to start a garden but I have a feeling the groundhogs would help themselves to whatever is growing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    24,198
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    I'd like to start a garden but I have a feeling the groundhogs would help themselves to whatever is growing.
    We don't have those down here, luckily enough. We do get opossums and armadillos that'll tear your garden up, but my dogs usually do a good job scaring them away.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    We don't have those down here, luckily enough. We do get opossums and armadillos that'll tear your garden up, but my dogs usually do a good job scaring them away.
    I like cilantro and growing herbs more so than trying to grow vegetables... if i were to grow some it would be tomatoes

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    24,198
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roiken View Post
    I like cilantro and growing herbs more so than trying to grow vegetables... if i were to grow some it would be tomatoes

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Tomatoes are stupid easy. Honestly, all of them are.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •