Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 258

Thread: Kenstrom

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgar View Post
    Riend, you’re actually a decent RPer I grant you that. So is Dirvy and Crux to a certain extent. Kenstrom is just powermad you can see it in the type of storylines he writes.
    LOL, I'm deffo not on his "go-to" list.... possibly because I don't/can't make his hours anymore, maybe for other reasons. Who knows! Kenstrom is not powermad. Is he perfect? Nope. But I'd challenge you to write a storyline that will be inclusive to 100+ people and allow it to morph, live and breath and let go when the players take something and run it off the rails of what you planned.

    It's not a perfect system by any means, but don't shit on the one GM who has been actively pushing storylines almost non-stop for 5+ years now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leafiara View Post
    I mean, things definitely aren't perfect. I have a certain friend who's constantly at KST who feels unrecognized and I never really know what to tell them other than "send a backstory/character profile to Kenstrom and see what happens," because at least by all appearances this friend looks like they're doing everything right (in fact, I think this person is way better at participating than me) but still the NPCs rarely respond.

    But that's still only one person. Everybody else who I know wants to be involved is involved, plus many people who didn't specifically try to get involved but have been pulled in anyway--sometimes for reasons they can't even figure out.

    I also bet my friend would be stoked to get the level of attention that Hlendril does actually get, like all the things I mentioned earlier. That's what makes this whole conversation so sad to me.
    This is rough, and I've totally been there as well... it's not a fun place to be at. But definitely, I'd see if they'd be willing to be a little more active on the forums, and just keep plugging away and keeping up the good fight. Good things come to those who wait, or something. Also, are they trying to get involved with the characters involved in all the shenanigans?! I hope so!
    Last edited by Jhynnifer; 05-21-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    You slap Walkar's cheek, hard.
    He continues, "I've decided that I'm not going to let you serve community service, so don't get your hopes up. To this aim, you may either pay the fine of 50000000 silvers plus any other outstanding debts you may owe, or serve a total of 120 minutes of incarceration. You may ANSWER me either FINE or INCARCERATION as your choice. But I digress. Choose quickly, now, lest I hold you in contempt of court for wasting my time."

  2. Default

    I would say the overwhelming majority of the fun of story line events is interacting with the other real players before, during, and after the GM run portions. Watching character growth or shifts is almost always more rewarding than the completion of a story or some invasion that is part of the story. The story lines that have the most impact for me are the ones that alter the game world in tangible ways. Changes to towns, new NPCs, new or different flavor messages. The things that help give life to the world and show how it changes as powerful actors, both NPC and player controlled, make their mark on the game world.

    When it comes to interaction, the best advice is to keep the RP going even when a GM isn't actively running an event or schedule time. The GMs who are involved in the story lines are usually watching and following up on people. It certainly isn't all the time, but they will check in on people from time to time to see what they are up to. There is some really good advice in here and thoughts to consider.

    But I'd challenge you to write a storyline that will be inclusive to 100+ people and allow it to morph, live and breath and let go when the players take something and run it off the rails of what you planned.
    If I had to focus on any one thing it would be this. I think part of the "problem" people perceive is that there currently is a limited resource that is greatly wanted. It's probably the best problem you could have in some regards. I'd ask the question "Do you think the current population could support similar enthusiasm and participation if there was two concurrent story line events running either at the same time or one earlier, either in the same town or in another town, all other things being equal?"

  3. #213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicalBox View Post
    I would say the overwhelming majority of the fun of story line events is interacting with the other real players before, during, and after the GM run portions. Watching character growth or shifts is almost always more rewarding than the completion of a story or some invasion that is part of the story. The story lines that have the most impact for me are the ones that alter the game world in tangible ways. Changes to towns, new NPCs, new or different flavor messages. The things that help give life to the world and show how it changes as powerful actors, both NPC and player controlled, make their mark on the game world.

    When it comes to interaction, the best advice is to keep the RP going even when a GM isn't actively running an event or schedule time. The GMs who are involved in the story lines are usually watching and following up on people. It certainly isn't all the time, but they will check in on people from time to time to see what they are up to. There is some really good advice in here and thoughts to consider.



    If I had to focus on any one thing it would be this. I think part of the "problem" people perceive is that there currently is a limited resource that is greatly wanted. It's probably the best problem you could have in some regards. I'd ask the question "Do you think the current population could support similar enthusiasm and participation if there was two concurrent story line events running either at the same time or one earlier, either in the same town or in another town, all other things being equal?"
    And players don't understand this until experience and maturity sets in. It's not part of new player curriculum, but it's entirely true.

    Storylines are running in multiple cities. Right now you have Icemule, the Landing and Solhaven all actively engaged at 5pm, 7pm and 12pm CST on several nights a week. 2010-2018 has seen more activity than ever and more GMs have learned from Kenstrom's example in how to effectively run storylines.

    2003-2010 was a wasteland of nothing.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Mountain West
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicalBox View Post
    I would say the overwhelming majority of the fun of story line events is interacting with the other real players before, during, and after the GM run portions. Watching character growth or shifts is almost always more rewarding than the completion of a story or some invasion that is part of the story. The story lines that have the most impact for me are the ones that alter the game world in tangible ways. Changes to towns, new NPCs, new or different flavor messages. The things that help give life to the world and show how it changes as powerful actors, both NPC and player controlled, make their mark on the game world.

    When it comes to interaction, the best advice is to keep the RP going even when a GM isn't actively running an event or schedule time. The GMs who are involved in the story lines are usually watching and following up on people. It certainly isn't all the time, but they will check in on people from time to time to see what they are up to. There is some really good advice in here and thoughts to consider.

    If I had to focus on any one thing it would be this. I think part of the "problem" people perceive is that there currently is a limited resource that is greatly wanted. It's probably the best problem you could have in some regards. I'd ask the question "Do you think the current population could support similar enthusiasm and participation if there was two concurrent story line events running either at the same time or one earlier, either in the same town or in another town, all other things being equal?"
    This. +1.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    With your mom
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ososis View Post
    You misread the situation. it's understandable that you are sensitive based on past situations, but Kenstrom is good people. I promise. Even if he pisses me off sometimes. most likely he called you out by name to give you a chance to be chill in a public forum. But you have to remember, in RP, even insults are fun! Should have asked the guard how many Roltons got through the gate today?

    Anyway. Again, don't quit. Take notes, be better.

    Real talk to the other posters:
    I get your frustration. Hlendril can be frustrating. Sometimes I feel like there are serious communication breakdowns. I have been Hlendrils friend since long before this thread, and I have facepalmed quite a few times for a variety of reasons. I am not blind to his faults, but with our regular communications I think i am also in a better position to speak to his virtues. Hlendril is a sweet soul and he legitimately LOVES gemstone. So much so, that he dove headfirst into the deep end of RP with no ability to swim. Yes, he sank like a stone, but you should give him some credit for taking that risk. This was where I think a lot of players took umbrage. Folks understandably (though incorrectly) assumed he was actively making a choice to be disruptive, rude, or inappropriate. But it wasn't malicious at all, and I think that's impoerant.

    When he says "tell me what to do, and I will" it's a legitimate plea. He truly wants to be a part of this world and is willing to make efforts to get better. Most of us have some stupid stories from our past that helped us improve, his are just present stories. I really think when his energies can be properly focused he will be a really cool addition to the game.

    @Hlendril, GrimGar is McGyver, we know you aren't mcgyver.
    Please listen to Special Agent Oso. He is good at understanding sensitivity:


  6. #216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leafiara View Post
    I mean, things definitely aren't perfect. I have a certain friend who's constantly at KST who feels unrecognized and I never really know what to tell them other than "send a backstory/character profile to Kenstrom and see what happens," because at least by all appearances this friend looks like they're doing everything right (in fact, I think this person is way better at participating than me) but still the NPCs rarely respond.

    But that's still only one person. Everybody else who I know wants to be involved is involved, plus many people who didn't specifically try to get involved but have been pulled in anyway--sometimes for reasons they can't even figure out.

    I also bet my friend would be stoked to get the level of attention that Hlendril does actually get, like all the things I mentioned earlier. That's what makes this whole conversation so sad to me.
    The attention I got was usually being arrested by the constable or struck by lightning over Roleplay.
    Leafiara just took a long walk off of a short pier!

    J>kick rone
    J>
    You kick Rone!

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hlendril View Post
    The attention I got was usually being arrested by the constable or struck by lightning over Roleplay.
    And Crux got injected by Rone and lost his ability to use magic for a month, I've been kidnapped twice in one week before, Deckits got fined and hanged recently, a couple months before that Hap got put in the stocks and then tarred and feathered, Gavrien went bald...

    You're taking it personally, but it's not meant to be taken that way.


    Edit: Also just want to point out... when someone came to me asking for advice about getting more involved, I think literally the second thing I said was a fair warning that if they wanted to be more visible, they needed to know that they'd be taking the bad with the good and should be prepared to either get killed, kidnapped, cursed, framed, or have any other number of other crazy things happen out of nowhere. That person was very enthusiastic about any of those things happening, which I think is the right attitude!
    Last edited by Leafiara; 05-22-2018 at 02:03 AM.

  8. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    I'm fairly certain she doesn't limit her tomfoolery to one forum.
    Confirmed Necro is female, and we should address her as such from now on.
    www.twitch.tv/3piecesofbread
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun
    No, actually, Back is not an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.


    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    And feel free to get me banned, not going to stop my lawyer from sending Kranar a subpoena for IP information on a couple of people.

  9. #219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leafiara View Post
    And Crux got injected by Rone and lost his ability to use magic for a month, I've been kidnapped twice in one week before, Deckits got fined and hanged recently, a couple months before that Hap got put in the stocks and then tarred and feathered, Gavrien went bald...

    You're taking it personally, but it's not meant to be taken that way.


    Edit: Also just want to point out... when someone came to me asking for advice about getting more involved, I think literally the second thing I said was a fair warning that if they wanted to be more visible, they needed to know that they'd be taking the bad with the good and should be prepared to either get killed, kidnapped, cursed, framed, or have any other number of other crazy things happen out of nowhere. That person was very enthusiastic about any of those things happening, which I think is the right attitude!
    That was becaused the story called for it. Being shoved in the stocks or struck by lightning does not equal storyline progress. I wouldnt mind dying in a invasion or being assasinated or whatever. I will say this though: Whenever I try acting in character someone gets triggered and say Im dissruptive. What I say IC does not reflect who I am. Riend says not to take what a character says personaly. Whenever my character says stuff like "taking their women" it is not me talking, the character is. Lylia clearly missed Riend's advice.

    By the way,how long did it take you to get Kenny to notice you?
    Leafiara just took a long walk off of a short pier!

    J>kick rone
    J>
    You kick Rone!

  10. #220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hlendril View Post
    That was becaused the story called for it. Being shoved in the stocks or struck by lightning does not equal storyline progress. I wouldnt mind dying in a invasion or being assasinated or whatever. I will say this though: Whenever I try acting in character someone gets triggered and say Im dissruptive. What I say IC does not reflect who I am. Riend says not to take what a character says personaly. Whenever my character says stuff like "taking their women" it is not me talking, the character is. Lylia clearly missed Riend's advice.

    By the way,how long did it take you to get Kenny to notice you?
    What exactly happened leading up to you getting thrown in the stocks and bolted? Be specific.

    I'm going to guess what didn't happen was something like:

    Hlendril says, "Hear ye, <insert a bunch of RP speak>"

    GM NPC: OMG WUT A FAG LOLOLOLOL

    Hlendril gets blasted by a bolt!

    * Hlendril just bit the dust!
    Last edited by Methais; 05-22-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    www.twitch.tv/3piecesofbread
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun
    No, actually, Back is not an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.


    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    And feel free to get me banned, not going to stop my lawyer from sending Kranar a subpoena for IP information on a couple of people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •