Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sword wielding ranger

Default sword wielding ranger

looking to go
    sword and board

thw

or dual wielding

would like to hear and see what other peoples training looks like around 50 trainings should i have LOREs?

how many spells seems like everyone trying get 20 minor spirit 40 ranger around this training
    standing between the living and the dead

I've done them all, sword and board is pretty safe but boring. THW is great for ambusing with a mattock or maul, prone with spells crush the head/neck. Very fun. TWC is a mixture between ambushing and attrition. I do this currently with blink weapons which means I have a pretty unique style with double spike thorn flaring short swords, much more attrition than most rangers. With more standard TWC builds you're going to want to treat it more like THW, prone with ambush or spells and ambush the head/eyes. I would say THW is probably better than TWC for ambushing styles but TWC can work. You'll run out of points pretty quickly with TWC, so only do it if you have some weapons you really like.

For spells it's pretty common to rush 40/20 then let your levels catch up. Lores are ok I like summoning, if you are concerned about TWC/THW DS then you can do blessings but your ROI is pretty low. If you want lores I'd recommend somewhere between 4-24 summoning lore before cap, train more after. Don't forget survival and maybe first aid if you are going to hunt things with skins, rangers can get a decent bump in income from that (Pinefar is good for that around the 50s, mammoth tusks, seeker eyes, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

I can share my THW ranger training plan at that level after I finish this road trip I’m on. I will offer that I disagree that most THW or TWC rangers have 60 spells at level 50. Spells are often sacrificed on a minor scale to keep combat skills at level.

All three paths are feasible.
    Last edited by Drazaan; 03-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.

I have only 7x perfect dagger I was kind of wanting to go dagger hand axe dual wield I also have a claidhmorr but nothing that would make me lean towards a certain training

Just wondering what people’s trainings look like help give me more of an idea

60armor for double chain and 70 for augmented?
    Last edited by Derex; 03-17-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Yep! If you are someone who wears different armor depending on what your hunting situation is, consider aiming for 77 armor ranks over 70 for overtraining benefits for brig. However, don’t sweat it if PTPs are tight or if you stick to your heaviest armor class.

(at level 50), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 160 60
    Shield Use.........................| 150 50
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 150 50
    Edged Weapons......................| 202 102
    Ambush.............................| 164 64
    Physical Fitness...................| 150 50
    Dodging............................| 150 50
    Harness Power......................| 150 50
    Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
    Survival...........................| 150 50
    Stalking and Hiding................| 200 100
    Perception.........................| 150 50
    Climbing...........................| 70 15
    Swimming...........................| 25 5
    First Aid..........................| 150 50

Spell Lists
    Ranger.............................| 40

where im at currently

trying get my ambush up a little

also what cmans should i go?

When i was sword/board i found that 1x ambush was plenty for hitting what i was aiming at.

Cmans i went with 5 ranks shadow mastery first, then feint.

If you're going to go TWC, don't use a dagger unless you're using two of them to ambush the eyes. Use longswords or, if your AGIDEX is high enough, falchions or handaxes, and just ambush the head or neck.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    If you're going to go TWC, don't use a dagger unless you're using two of them to ambush the eyes. Use longswords or, if your AGIDEX is high enough, falchions or handaxes, and just ambush the head or neck.
    The first strike is the only one that's aimed though right? Is that how TWC ambush works?