Page 10 of 240 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Denouement of U.S. Empire

President Donald Trump "is now set for war on 3 fronts: political vs Bob Mueller, economic vs China/others on trade, and actual vs. Iran and/or North Korea," Richard Haass tweeted Friday. "This is the most perilous moment in modern American history -- and it has been largely brought about by ourselves, not by events."

Haass, a pillar of the US foreign policy establishment and longtime president of the Council on Foreign Relations, a premiere foreign policy think tank, previously accused the Trump administration of abdicating US global leadership.
    This guy isn't some liberal Michael Moore type. We're heading for a fall.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/23/polit...eet/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    The only thing dumber than the spending bill is Pelosi and Schumer high fiving each other like this was something worth celebrating.
    Been reading about this a little bit tonight. It seems conservative media is calling it a big win for Pelosi and Shumer. Guess that's why the high five. They won this round and trumpists have to eat it.

The only thing dumber than the spending bill is Pelosi and Schumer high fiving each other like this was something worth celebrating.
    I don't get it. They got a budget bill passed through a GOP controlled Senate, House and White House that had pretty much everything they wanted.

Why wouldn't they celebrate?

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Been reading about this a little bit tonight. It seems conservative media is calling it a big win for Pelosi and Shumer. Guess that's why the high five. They won this round and trumpists have to eat it.
    It was a huge win for the Democrats.

The GOP was outmaneuvered by this bullshit budget deadline and forced to pass a budget that puts more and more debt on this country in the next decade.

Hell, they even got the GOP to fund Planned Parenthood at the tune of 500 million dollars... something that most GOP candidates ran on defunding.

It was a huge win for them. THIS was the last nail in the coffin for the House remaining in GOP control.

Quote Originally Posted by drauz View Post
    I just want more options. I have no idea how it would work in practice here. We have different cultures and our politics have evolved in different ways.
    The first thing you'd have to do is get rid of the Electoral College, because if no one wins a majority (i.e. every election with three+ viable candidates) then the House of Representatives picks the President, which would be a disaster for many obvious reasons. Your best bet is probably ranked choice / instant runoff elections, but even then the results are still going to be two-party dominance because they continually evolve to cover the middle of the political spectrum.
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I don't get it. They got a budget bill passed through a GOP controlled Senate, House and White House that had pretty much everything they wanted.

Why wouldn't they celebrate?
    A win for them doesn't mean it's good for everybody.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    The first thing you'd have to do is get rid of the Electoral College, because if no one wins a majority (i.e. every election with three+ viable candidates) then the House of Representatives picks the President, which would be a disaster for many obvious reasons. Your best bet is probably ranked choice / instant runoff elections, but even then the results are still going to be two-party dominance because they continually evolve to cover the middle of the political spectrum.
    Actually the first thing should be to allow for better representation at the debates, which generally never allow 3rd party candidates to participate in.

A win for them doesn't mean it's good for everybody.
    Most democrat wins aren't good for anybody.

Actually the first thing should be to allow for better representation at the debates, which generally never allow 3rd party candidates to participate in.
    ^
    Last edited by Methais; 03-24-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Either that would have an impact on the elections, in which case changing the Electoral College etc. first is much more important, or it wouldn't, so changing the Electoral College etc. is much more important. The mechanism of voting is always the key. What's more important, that black people can vote or that they can watch debates? You know?
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    Either that would have an impact on the elections, in which case changing the Electoral College etc. first is much more important, or it wouldn't, so changing the Electoral College etc. is much more important. The mechanism of voting is always the key. What's more important, that black people can vote or that they can watch debates? You know?
    What a lovely racist suggestion that Black people can't vote now.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie