I'm considering keeping my warrior in hauberk post cap. That made me wonder what am I giving up mechanically for RP reasons.

Full plate offers:
  • a better crit divisor (11 v. 9)
  • generally lower DF (varies - there may be an exceptions, I didn't check every weapon/spell)
  • a more favorable CvA (-21 v -9)
  • worse action penalty (-23 v -9 assuming max AU training with no enhancives)
  • worse spell hinderance (20/50+ versus 11/12 for MnS/MnE)

Which leads to my actual question: Did I miss any differences of note?

Action Penalty
This affects DS (accounted for in the crit divisor/DF section below).
SMR defense... At cap, is the difference enough to matter or do the other skills that factor in make it a non-issue? Based on the armor article, I'll presume the 3x PF washes out any difference.

CvA
A 12 difference is big, but I'm not sure how to quantify that in survivability. I'll have to start paying attention to what my wizard sees cast at him to make a better stab at this.

Spell Hinderance
I don't foresee him casting much during combat, so this seems like a non-issue. For self-spelling, he'll be in a natural sanct, carry milky blue oil, or just remove the armor.

Crit divisor and DF
I'm leaving out invasion creatures and events like Duskruin. I expect those to further skew things in favor of plate, but they're not day-to-day concerns.

If I look at normal hunting areas, I think the highest general AS comes from the Vvrael Destroyer (up to 469 on the wiki) which swings either a maul or a claidhmore (I assume these are +40 CW).
Based on Tsoran's trainer, I think my warrior will have a 423 DS in offensive in hauberk or 418 in full plate (the difference coming from the action penalty)

Running the numbers through Whirlin's Weapon Comparer spreadsheet (I left out HDP hauberk because that never seems like a win)

Normal DS
No code has to be inserted here.

When stunned (-20 DS) and prone (-50 DS)
No code has to be inserted here.

Since he'll likely end up mostly hunting the less dangerous OTF, running the numbers for an Ithzir Champion with a 442 AS and maul (both based on the wiki), he shows a 0% chance for crit death in either armor. HDP plate shows 21.86 v. HCP hauberk's 36.40 damage/swing (while stunned and prone).

Assumptions
Since these will be the same regardless of the armor, they shouldn't matter, but whichever armor he ends up in, it'll be (at least)
  • 7x
  • either HCP or HDP
  • max light
  • T5 ensorcelled

After those, it gets to be a armor specific, so I can't quantify.