Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stun maneuvers?

Default Stun maneuvers?

Anyone train stun maneuvers on their monk? Seems nice to be able to bail when stunned, but those 30 CM points also seem pretty expensive.

Yeah it'd be nice but how often are you getting stunned? I'd maybe consider it after punch, kick, and grapple mastery. Not to mention evade mastery (rank 3 is 27% to outright evade an attack).

I'm apparently getting stunned enough to consider training stun maneuvers! Maybe I just got spoiled by playing a warrior and beresrking out of stuns. In fact, seems like most professions have some means of dealing with stuns without having to drop 30 CM points (1120, 1635, 1040, 550, rogue guild stun maneuvers).

But yeah, my monk is only 63 currently, but I was thinking about stun maneuvers for my final 30 points. I hunt warcamps a lot and end up stunned sometimes when I try to take on a room full of creatures. Seems like I'm especially susceptible to shield maneuvers, as I'm a halfling with no shield training. I imagine it'd be nice to be able to run away when a shield bash knocks me on my head.

I'm at two ranks of evade, but still debating whether the third rank is worth a 9% increase when my DS is pretty high as it is and I don't often get hit hard even if I don't evade. Does anyone really train grapple mastery? I could see getting 1 rank, maybe, but I really only grapple when I need it to tier up.

I'm also still debating whether I want to eventually drop 10 points for the fifth rank of perfect self. I like passive maneuvers, but you definitely tend to get some diminishing returns for rank 5. Sometimes I wonder if perfect self is even worth all those points (52 to max it out!)

Do any monks train any active maneuvers at all? I can't seem to find the points for any active stuff.

At 63, my maneuvers are:
    Flurry: 3
    Kick mastery: 3
    Punch mastery: 3
    Evade mastery: 2
    Burst: 3
    Surge: 3
    Perfect self: 3
    Toughness: 1
    Mobility: 1

I might have a single rank of focus or cunning defense, don't remember.

I don't do warcamps, I primarily hunt undead as my monk is Voln but I've banked plenty of favor to skip a few levels. I focused him really heavy on spells at first to get them out of the way. Once I finish transformation lore (15 ranks to get brig level armor) I will start back into cman and finish punch mastery and kick mastery. I guess grapple mastery is really only helpful for that extra kick to MM and tiering. So yeah probably not worth it. In my opinion perfect self is one of the best cmans Monk's have, who else can add +10 to all their stats forever? Heres a peak at my training at 64:

My UAF is 373 (self spelled running 102)
    DS is 400 in offensive (self spelled 1216/102)
    Spirit TD is 273

Surge of Strength surge 3
    Burst of Swiftness burst 3
    Perfect Self perfectself 5
    Punch Mastery punchmastery 2
    Rolling Krynch Stance krynch 3

XXXX (at level 64), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Two Weapon Combat..................| 124 32
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 190 90
    Brawling...........................| 232 132
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 190 90
    Physical Fitness...................| 242 142
    Dodging............................| 292 192
    Harness Power......................| 117 29
    Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 66 14
    Perception.........................| 164 64
    Climbing...........................| 160 60
    Swimming...........................| 82 18

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
    Minor Mental.......................| 20

You gave up a lot of harness power for the piddly bonuses that transformation gives you. With 1220, 120, and 3x dodge you aren't getting hit so what's the point of the higher scale armor?

You should be able to use 1207 religiously and with 29 ranks of HP I doubt you can.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++

Heh, I have twice the transformation lore you do at level 63. I do agree that the difference between ASG 11 and 12 may be “piddly,” but I went ahead and went for the 30 ranks to have chain equivalent. I generally prefer durability to DS, and with HCP robes + sunfist HCP plus chain-equivalent armor, I’m pretty durable. The extra durability lets me keep 1213 up instead of 1216 most of the time (yes, I even have 15 telepathy ranks), and that 30% stamina reduction lets me keep up my sunfist sigils (though it has to be either focus and minor bane OR major bane) and mstrike frequently.

I don’t really see the appeal of casting 1207 on everything. I mean, yeah it’s effective if you’re taking on one creature at a time, but what’s the fun in that? I’d rather just save the 3 seconds and 7 mana and focused mstrike lone targets at this point.

I’m kind of curious about those 90 MOC ranks. Do you really think all those points are worth it for one extra focused strike and one additional FoF offset? I’d rather just put those points into CM, personally...

I also notice you have twice as many spells as me. I suppose I’ll aim for 120 eventually, but that is a LOT of points for 15 DS and 20 spiritual TD. Yeah, I know you get 101/107 from that too, but those are pretty easily available elsewhere. I may put off getting 120 for a long time, as I kind of think I’d rather have enough MnM ranks to be able to cast 1219 reliably. Not really sure how many ranks that would be at cap, though.

Being in Sunfist rather than Voln, I do get an additional +7 TD, but at this point I don’t really feel like I have big TD issues. I imagine that will get worse with time. Being a halfling certainly helps with the TD issues (though I’d be willing to bet that your monk is also a halflling).

(at level 63), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Two Weapon Combat..................| 124 32
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 230 130
    Brawling...........................| 230 130
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
    Physical Fitness...................| 241 141
    Dodging............................| 293 193
    Harness Power......................| 132 36
    Spirit Mana Control................| 30 6
    Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 70 15
    Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 120 30
    Perception.........................| 164 64
    Climbing...........................| 160 60
    Swimming...........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
    Minor Mental.......................| 20

your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Combat Focus focus 1
    Combat Mobility mobility 1
    Combat Toughness toughness 1
    Surge of Strength surge 3
    Evade Mastery emastery 2
    Burst of Swiftness burst 3
    Perfect Self perfectself 3
    Punch Mastery punchmastery 3
    Kick Mastery kmastery 3
    Flurry of Blows flurry 3

Being a halfling certainly helps with the TD issues (though I’d be willing to bet that your monk is also a halflling).
    Interestingly enough, being a halfling also helps you with not using 1207 because (and this varies from critter to critter) I found that halfling and gnome UAC users will regularly prone targets with their first few UAC attacks due to not being able to hit anywhere higher than the legs. This might be a reason why you find your 1207 mileage varies. Now with taller UAC fighters, you'll hit chest/abs/back/arms/head/neck enough that the target won't fall over (especially stun immune critters) because the crit tables aren't designed to make those hits cause knockdowns.

1207 is amazing though. It inflicts RT as well as prone status, which is invaluable for many reasons. I'd recommend revisiting your ability to use 1207 reliably once you start fighting durable casters (i.e. high HP with WoF or Wizard's Shield running) because these guys will be harder to prone and stun with your mstrike.

Does 1202 armor class help with maneuver durability? That's really the only time I can think a monk would need to train for higher armor class, and I was under the impression that only padding on armor helps in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyJr View Post
    You gave up a lot of harness power for the piddly bonuses that transformation gives you. With 1220, 120, and 3x dodge you aren't getting hit so what's the point of the higher scale armor?

You should be able to use 1207 religiously and with 29 ranks of HP I doubt you can.
    Your right about not getting hit, as my DS is 606 in Defensive but I want that oh shit I got hit hard get out of jail free card. I generally uphunt 10 levels so 1207 is less than reliable in those situations. I have 95 total mana but once I get more cman I will be working HP up, not even for the mana but so I can wear more outside spells in spellburst areas. Plus with 90 ranks in MoC I can focus mstrike (4 or 5 if i haven't jabbed them yet) every 60 seconds. But long term goals are to 1x HP, 2x cman and 24 ranks in ambush so I can knock down and smash heads but thats some time off. I wear SWCP robes so I'd like to get the full coverage scale armor. I'm not going to get anymore lore because I'll get chain in ~10 levels. But hell theres really no "wrong" way to train monks.
    Last edited by wetsand; 02-06-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    I’m kind of curious about those 90 MOC ranks. Do you really think all those points are worth it for one extra focused strike and one additional FoF offset? I’d rather just put those points into CM, personally...

I also notice you have twice as many spells as me. I suppose I’ll aim for 120 eventually, but that is a LOT of points for 15 DS and 20 spiritual TD. Yeah, I know you get 101/107 from that too, but those are pretty easily available elsewhere. I may put off getting 120 for a long time, as I kind of think I’d rather have enough MnM ranks to be able to cast 1219 reliably. Not really sure how many ranks that would be at cap, though.

Being in Sunfist rather than Voln, I do get an additional +7 TD, but at this point I don’t really feel like I have big TD issues. I imagine that will get worse with time. Being a halfling certainly helps with the TD issues (though I’d be willing to bet that your monk is also a halflling).
    I got the 90 ranks at level 45, it was super expensive but I'm "done" with that skill for a long time. Maybe I'll push for the next focused tier but honestly the 4 to 5 focused strikes with flares is generally plenty. Plus the extra 40 ranks in cman is a difference of what +20 UAF? I like the FoF and mstriking benefits more.

I also pushed really heavy for spells early on, had 1220 by 20 and 120 by 40ish? Again it was super expensive but I'm "done" with spells for a lone time. As I near cap I'll pick up 16 more levels in minor mental for the extra DS/TD from 1220 but I don't see the need right now. I want my monk to be able to hunt completely self sustained, really hoping I can do plane 1 in the Rift at 66 but we will see.

Yeah my monk is a halfling, why would you ever pick any other race? <kidding sort of>

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    Does 1202 armor class help with maneuver durability? That's really the only time I can think a monk would need to train for higher armor class, and I was under the impression that only padding on armor helps in that regard.
    Yeah I'm not sure the armor class from 1202 gets applied to maneuvers. Luckily I have crit padded robes.