Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about new companion

Default Questions about new companion

I just adopted an animal companion and I want to be sure I take good care of him.

I'm currently in Icemule Trace, but I will want to return back to either River's Rest or the Landing. I arrived in Icemule using an orb. Maybe a silly question but can my companion follow me if I use an orb? Or can he follow me if I go to Mist Harbor? I am guessing that I can travel back to The Landing using an orb and then cast 630. But he will probably be with me when I transport to Mist Harbor.

Also, I don't want him to get hurt while I am hunting. I plan on telling him to wander while I am hunting. But should he get hurt, how could I get him healed? Feed him healing herbs maybe?

I have a friend in Solhaven that can help me get fresh meat from the Butcher's Shop. And I am hoping to get some paw-wraps, but I am not sure how to put them on his paws.

So many questions.....

Hollybear

Blog Entries

Your companion will follow you no matter where you go, unless it's an area that companions can't enter.

For hunting, they are more or less safe in their default follow setting. I think warcries, fear, and some room wide maneuvers can hit them, but creatures won't single them out unless you tell your companions to attack something. They automatically jump in to the fight if you get stunned or killed, so maybe that's a concern to you. Healing... I honestly don't remember ever having to heal them. They drag themselves off if they 'die', but can be resummoned again after a while.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Well that's a relief. Thank you for your reply.

Speaking of areas companions can't enter.... if I have 625 going, can he go inside? Such as my home? I read where they could, but I have also read that I would need more ranks for that to work.

Hollybear

Blog Entries

They can go inside with 625, but certain rooms are off limits to them for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure about player housing.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Thank you again!

You have to be very well bonded to your companion for them to go indoors, even with 625. They can go inside player housing too.

Don't worry about hunting with them, they have a higher DS than you probably ever will. The only thing I've ever seen harm/kill my companion, has been really lucky maneuvers, so you're perfectly safe to take yours anywhere you want.

Avalanches in pinefar can kill a companion

You can heal companions with standard healing herbs, and they leave no scars, so no need for the scar removing herbs/potions.

Your companion normally is less likely to take a hit than you are. There are exceptions, open implosion, various area effect spells, etc.

Food for your companion...fresh meat is only required for your own roleplaying, companions will literally eat almost anything that is available from the various carts, vendors, Great Houses, or MHO. You find it, they'll eat it, including foragables. I know Radeeks wolf practically lived exclusively on the chicken from Hearthstone (and it was free).

What is your companion? Feline, canine, rodent? I may have some paw wraps stuffed in a locker somewhere that Eclipse isn't using anymore that I can give you, if it fits what you're looking for.

Radeek
    Only the dead have seen the end of war

Thank you Chaoswynd, Ioxe, and Radeek for the help and advise.

I recenty saw a companion animal that was bruised... and since I hide I was worried that what I hunted would see my beautiful Coyote and attack him. Good to know he is safe.
    I don't think I am ready to be roaming around Pinefar just yet. In fact I was hunting Krolvin Wafarers in River's Rest, and I need to figure out what next to hunt.

I think for now, when I am home I will tell Cody to wander. Being a coyote he probably would prefer to wander about the neighborhood than be stuck indoors.

And Radeek! I would love to take you up on your offer if you can find your paw-wraps. That is on my to buy list.

Thank you again,
    Hollybear

The avalanches on the mountain in Pinefar are the worst. Bandits can be a problem too, the other day one hit my tiger with an arrow in the eye while I was down and stunned. When badly injured your companion will crawl off for a while and may be angry with you for a couple of hours, but then they will come back healed.